Author Topic: How do you compensate for wind speed?  (Read 6589 times)

Offline speedturtle

• http://
How do you compensate for wind speed?
« on: February 21, 2009, 08:50:51 PM »
I am just curious... how do you guys compensate for wind speed using a caliber .177 air gun?

I'm using a Crosman G-1 Extreme air gun and Crosman Premier Hollow Points as my pellet ( I rarely use any other type) and I am testing my field target set at 50 yards. My barrel has a clockwise bore.

Assuming that you encounter a light breeze of about 1 - 3mph wind speed (even if you use a different air gun model and pellet just for the sake of discussion) how many clicks on the windage do you have to adjust "assuming" that the trajectory of your pellet doesn't have a horizontal deviation (ideal situation)?

Do you compensate by adjusting the windage turret or just change your crosshair location?

Also, if you can't see a wavy flag as a point of reference for wind speed what other typical objects can you use to predict wind speed? Do you also use the typical Beaufort Wind Scale?

Hope someone can answer my queries. I'm just so curious as to how to use the built in windage compensation on a regular scope. Thanks!

Speedturtle
Time is not important, only lessons to be learned in life. :)

Offline TCups

Re: How do you compensate for wind speed?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 11:36:30 PM »
No expert here, but I was shooting yesterday, off a bench with front and rear rests with a couple of my PCP air rifles, the BSA Scorpion carbine / .177 and the Air Arms S 410 ERB / .22 cal.  There was a variable but reasonably strong cross wind blowing left to right while I was shooting. I estimate 5-10 knots with gusts of maybe 15-20 knots at times.  It was breezy enough that I had to keep a tin of pellets on top of stack of target paper to keep them from blowing away.  My best wind indicator down range was the paper targets flapping in the wind.  When the wind picked up, I couldn't shoot at the target, which was on a clipboard, because it was constantly flapping in the wind.  I had to tape the bottom edge to even shoot.  Both rifles were zeroed at 30 yards, but in a more steady crosswind, the AA 410 with JSB 18.1 grain pellets was, as you would expect, much less affected by the winds.  I was still holding about 1/2 inch groups at 30 yards.  The BSA was shooting 8.75 grain Beeman FTS pellets and they were all over the place.  As an exercise, I took a sighting target with 1-inch grids in the background and started trying to shoot at the intersections of the lines, 8 shots down the left hand edge of the target with no compensation.  The pellets were drifting right anywhere from .5 in to just over 1.0 inch at 30 yards in that crosswind.  I repeated the same series of shots coming down the right hand edge of the target, trying to guesstimate the windage compensation (I didn't reset the scope) and did a little better.  One thing I did notice is that because of terrain (where the trees and shrubs are in my back yard) it seemed like the wind I was feeling at the bench was often very different from the apparent wind speed at the target.  A gust that blew the targets around on my bench might not affect the paper target on the backstop down range, and vice versa.

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Re: How do you compensate for wind speed?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 11:44:24 PM »
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline riflejunkie

RE: How do you compensate for wind speed?
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 02:41:01 AM »
First thing to do is determine what the prevailing wind conditions are.  Wind can and will change over the course of a shooting session or match.
Let's say that you determine that your prevailing wind is from 3 o'clock about 3-5 mph.  Next find two more most commonly prevalent winds, let's say from 2 o'clock and 4 o'clock.  If the 3 o'clock wind  is your most prevalent condition you have to zero and shoot in that wind.  If the wind switches to 9 o'clock or if it jumps to 10mph from 4 o'clock, don't shoot.  A change to a 6'oclock wind or a 12 o'clock are going to produce elevation changes but in practice you need to shoot in these conditions to see where your shot will land.  You need to keep a notebook at your bench and write this stuff down.  Today is very windy here in Ga and I'm headed to the range just to play with the wind.  You can't shoot in the wind if you avoid it.  Make yourself 2 wind flags.  One goes near your target and one half way between you and the target.  You become the 3rd wind indicator.  You can feel the wind on your face or ears.  Some people shoot in shorts weather permitting so that they can feel the wind on their legs.  
Also know that because you are shooting a rifle the pellet is spinning.  a 3 oclock wind will not push the pellet to 9 o'clock but to 10 or 10:30 and a 9 o'clock wind will push your point of impact to 4 or 4:30.  Fun stuff! LOL  An easy wind is shootable. A strong consistent wind is shootable.  Switching winds are where the difficulty lies.  Pick your condition and shoot in it.
Daisy 853 with apertures; FWB 300S with apertures; Mike Melick tuned B-26 and B-40.
Dog - George, RIP

Offline Mick

• http://fuzzylimey.net
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 09:21:58 AM »
... and if all else fails .... grow a long beard and glance down at it once in a while ?   It's worked for me for 50-odd years - lol.   Sweat on a bald head is good too !

Mick

Offline riflejunkie

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 09:29:02 AM »
Mick, I should have referred this thread to you.  BTW, I was on your website yesterday and had a blast looking through it all.  Very entertaining and I laughed a lot.
Daisy 853 with apertures; FWB 300S with apertures; Mike Melick tuned B-26 and B-40.
Dog - George, RIP

Offline Mick

• http://fuzzylimey.net
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 12:22:45 PM »
Well .. if you were in the "Humour" sections I trust you blushed demurely at the appropriate moments ... I really must get back in there and add on a lot more stuff I have piled up offline.

As for wind effects ... I'm probably not the one to ask, as I tend not to fuss with sight changing which seems to be the modern way to do things.   My own approach generally, once I've determined an "average" setting of my sights for the days' prevalent condition, is to "aim off" - British military parlance comparable to Kentucky windage - based on the way the wind feels in my whiskers, or my bald head, should I be fortunate enough to be out of the sun in the shade.

I recall at one CMP Rimfire Sporter Nationals at Perry, several years back, being in the second relay watching the first relay battle 25~30 mph, low-end winds from around 2 o'clock with occasional gusts in the 40-45 mph range, swinging between 1 and 3 O'clock.   Not even at Bisley with a North Sea gale blowing had I ever shot in winds like that.  I wsa shooting my CZ Lux, Old Faithful with open iron sights ... no way was I going to make any adjustments there and lose my home-set zeroing.  Using my scope I watched a few of the shooters whose abaility I knew and did a few of those in-head arithmetic conundrums tha circumstances dictate.

When I went to the line for my relay, conditions being slightly worse by then, my estimated POA for the first sighter shot stage was around 6 inches right and 2 inches low.   By the end of my sighter stage I had re-estimated to around 7-1/2 inches right and 2-1/2 inches low ... probably the greatest ever offset I've ever used at 50 yards.    As I recall I shot the only 100 Prone score of the event ... Beginner's Luck !

Mick

Offline speedturtle

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 01:42:19 PM »
Thanks guys. These are heavy stuff! Hehehe. It will take a lot of time before I can digest these infos. LOL

Speedturtle
Time is not important, only lessons to be learned in life. :)