Author Topic: Cobra Airguns and Long Island Field Target 3/8/09  (Read 3861 times)

Offline Dave CAG

• http://www.airgunsbbguns.com/
Cobra Airguns and Long Island Field Target 3/8/09
« on: March 15, 2009, 04:38:34 AM »

Long Island Airguns Field Target Practice Meet 3/8/09

Sponsored By Cobra Airguns

Well our first match is over and I would like to thank
the LIFT members, the A Team and the Weather.

Long Island Field Target (L.I.F.T) is a new club. This match was a test run to see if Long Island could support a air gun club, well we now believe it can.

Cobra Airguns started the club in 2008 and 46 airgunners signed up but we needed some organization. By 2009 we had 5 members step up to the plate. Well aftermeeting at Cobra Air guns every Wednesday night for the last month we thought we were ready to give it a go. Well by field target standards we were close but for a fun day of shooting we were.

One thing we learned was that setting up the day before is a must! We had a lot of set backs we will not go into but we were setting up the field targets at around 12:00 and only had 4 lanes 3 targets per-lane 2 shots per target. If not for Martin and Jonathan we would not have been ready that early. We would also like to thank the members that showed up early and helped set up the sight in range. The range grounds itself needs a lot of work but I must say it has great potetial. I think everyone also just really enjoyed being out plinking on a beautiful day.

Hans, Ray and Laurie the "A Team"

Along with sharing a lot of information on field target Ray brought out a PCP air pistol that he is working on with Crosman and let a few members take a couple of shots. Hans placed out a few of his field targets that he made him self along with the The "A" Team Dragon, when you hit the paddle the eyes light up. Laurie was a treat she was real out going and a lot of fun to talk to.

After sighting in and a lot of plinking we moved up to our 4 lane field target area. Shooting field target is new to us and in my opinion was going to be the highlight of the day.

In between the sight in range and the field target lanes, we found Allison and Brooke from Cobra waiting at the pavilion with heroes, salads and cold drinks. Full of some good conversation and food we headed the rest of the way to the field target lanes. The lanes are a nice walk up a dirt road though the woods or a short drive.

Guy in Front right took 2nd one of LIFT's top marksmen

Once we reached the lanes Ray from the A Team took a look at our score cards and told us they would not work the way they are so with a little rearranging the way the cards were to be used and a little explanation everyone split up in small groups of two or three persons per group. Rick K. in the brown vest and black shirt (writes reviews for Cobra Air guns) is also one our top marksmen paired up with Hans with Laurie keeping score.

As you can see the lanes also need work but everyone enjoyed them saying that it was a lot like real hunting trying to find a clear shot down the lane. They were set at 15 - 45 yards.

We choose standing only because the field target lanes were not cleared for sitting or kneeling plus the ground was very wet from the snow melting. (In white) Shane's Pre-charge was not ready because he had to leave for a few hours and just made it back in time to join us with his Beeman R9 and was the only one shooting aspring piston but he warned us he will be ready next outing. Since this was a practice meet we also had chosen not to have divisions in classes
Joe (above) is one of our members who stepped up, an helping with the organizing. He was shooting with his new Air Arms S410 .177

We learned a lot from Hans and Ray one thing I found it interesting how they sat on their portable chairs and sight their rifles in before they would stand and take their shot. This technique allows you to concentrate on the shot and gives you more time on stance, breathing and hold on the rifle. I sure we will see more of these chairs next outing.

The red matching rifles were a he big hit Rick to the left and Rod to the right found the stocks
very balanced. The scopes with their digital light show on the inside to keep you form
canting the air rifle to be a great feature.

Well to some it up it was a good showing between 25 to 30 people with only about ten shooting field target. But there at least six more trying to figure out what air rifle to get before the next meet. We also have about four members who could not make it so hopefully we will have at 15 shooters for the next meet.
Standings for the day were

Martin Front took 3rd one LIFT's of top marksmen

[*]Ray "A Team" score of 21 [*]Guy "LIFT" score of 19 [*]Martin "LIFT" score of 18

Tied for 4th score of 15

[*]Hans"A Team" and Rick K"LIFT" [/list]

Long Island Field Target Club
    Sponsored By

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
    Re: Cobra Airguns and Long Island Field Target 3/8/09
    « Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 07:43:23 AM »
    Looked like GREAT FUN Dave.. I did not see one frown on any face..:) Sure glad you are still supporting this great sport. We need more events like this all over the US.

Thanks for sharing you GREAT EVENT and all the pictures as well.
    THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
    Springer Tunin