General Discussion To Gateway To Airguns > Gamo Gate

Gamo Whisper tuning

<< < (3/3)

DWM:
I had some real accuracy issues this weekend. My gun is somewhere over 2000 pellets. The barrel shift is minimal with my whisper, but is is there. I had pellets in loose groups on one side of the bull, with occasional bull-eyes, then I would get shots on the opposite side of the bulls-eye. I was trying to finalize which pellet to use between Meisterkuglen, RWS Superdomes, and Crowmagnums. My best results ever with the gun have been with Kodiaks, so I'm considering going back to a heaver pellet. It was probably just my shooting, but if it is the barrel shifting after cocking I'll be chasing the right pellet forever.

Don

airiscool:
Jared,
I got the gas spring and tins of Preditors  in from Pyramyd and installed the gas spring last weekend. It's not exactly like yours in that,
A. The nylon or Delrin guides are machined to a smooth finish (they must have read your post).  
B. It don't have the crimped  band near one end.

And, .....  I never mentioned which Gamo model I had when I ordered the gas spring ( plus I didn't get the gun from Pyramyd),  but this gas spring  had a red label on the end cap that said."Whisper". Wonder how they knew ???   Did yours have a label on the end ????

Before I tore it apart, I tried the preditors (.22) to see how well they group compared to the Super Domes which have been best so far. The pred's grouped about the same at 10 yards, just as expected, with a slightly differant POI.

After the gas spring was installed, as expected, cocking is smoother and no more 'twang',  but it definately takes much more force to cock it. It also has noticably more kick, and even after burning off any oil that got moved around in doing the spring swap, it is a bit louder.

Now, the Super Domes penitrate a bit deeper into a cardboard box of stacked-on-end news papers that I've been using to compare penitration.  For what it's worth, the Preds go 15 sheets of newspaper deeper than the Superdomes.  Both penitrate a bit more after the gas spring was installed.

I don't have a crony (unless you count the old guy next door  :D ) but all indications are that the Whisper seems to have more power than it had before. Original Gamo spring came out looking ok, and I never leave it cocked longer than it takes to get a shot off. Had good power from day one, but now it has a tad more.

The down side to all this 'possable increase' in power is  that  after shooting about 50 Preds, the Tasco World Class I was using, which has held up fine so far after about 1000 superdomes and Super HP's, finally started loosing zero. I guess with the combination of a 'possably' more powerful gas spring, plus the heavier Preds have taken their toll on it.   :emoticon:

Also, when I removed the scope mount, everything was still tight and no detectable loosness. All the screws were still super tight from the Lock-tite, but I noticed the scope mount pin hole in the reciever had a large burr worked up on the rear of it that never was there after checking for scope mount movement/gouging with the original spring. It had definatly taken an increase in  pounding.

Anyway, I broke down and ordered a ligit springer rated scope from Pyramyd.

Once the new scope is installed and dialed in and the variability of scopes going ka-flewy is no longer a factor, I can get back to test shots with the .008 shim stock saddle I made for the breach to see if it does anything for acuracy.

Paul.  :D

CO_AirGunner:
Paul,
THANK YOU for the follow-up!!!  It is interesting that your Air-Venturi isn't quite the same as mine (esp. the crimp band).  I don't think the machining on the Delrin parts really matters much.  My Delrin spacers must have been the last ones made on a Friday...  :D

My Air-Venturi was shipped in a sealed plastic bag.  There was a red sticker that said "Whisper" on the bag (probably should read "Gamo" instead).

I have read that the gas springs are harder on scopes.  That's probably why my factory Gamo scope finally died shortly after adding my Air-Venturi.  It sounds like your power results are about on par with mine.  Did you hone your compression cylinder?

airiscool:
Jared.
When I saw the physical differances, and how after installation it kicked more, I wondered if yours was as differant in power also ?????

Mine came in a sealed  plastic bag too. And considering someone remembered to mark it before it went in the bag, plus how the delrin was so nicely finished......  I guess it pays to order earlier in the week !   :D

I didn't have a replacement seal on hand so I didn't take the piston out and get into honing. Plus I have to order some new finer grade stones for my brake hones. Wore them out doing  some shotgun barrels and chokes.  I figured that'll give me something to do next winter.  

Paul.

CO_AirGunner:
FWIW, I replaced my breach seal this past weekend and it did help with the barrel movement problem!!!  The face of the old seal was pretty beat up for some reason.

I do still get some side-to-side barrel shift, but it is at least HALF of what it was before.  (I need to get the shim feelers out to measure it)  I don't notice the two different groupings like before.  As long as I cock the rifle the same every time, the only effect I see is that my 10-shot groupings are running about 1/2" c-t-c.  At least the shots overlap (I just wish the group was tighter)...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version