Author Topic: Install Gamo Scope Rail  (Read 6815 times)

Offline RawToxic

• GTA Donations
Install Gamo Scope Rail
« on: January 14, 2010, 12:07:16 PM »
I purchased a Gamo CSI Camo .177 cal from PA.com last year. I love the gun. The only problem with it is that if I put on a scope, the scope is not high enough to clear the rear sight. The Gamo CSI Camo does not come stock with a scope rail like most of the others do. To remedy this I purchased a replacement scope rail from Gamousa.com and it arrived in the mail today. However, I can't seem to get the thing to go on the gun. There is not enough room to try to slide it on from the front of the receiver so I tried from the back of the receiver. I can slide it on a little ways but it seems to get stuck about 1 inch into sliding it on. Should I get a rubber mallet and apply a little pressure to finish putting it on or should it not be such a tight fit? My mind tells me grab a mallet and help nudge it on there but I fear damaging the groove on the receiver and not being able to put on one properly in the future if this one needs to be replaced. Could it be this replacement one was not milled to spec and should be returned? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Offline snookman

• http://
Re: Install Gamo Scope Rail
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 10:50:48 PM »
Hello Brian. Welcome to the GTA. I would not try to force the rail on. I Installed a one piece high scope mount on my shadow 1000 and had the same problem. I had to back out the 3 clamp screws all the way and tilt the rail onto the middle of the receiver rail. I looked at the picture of the Gamo rail and I don't know if  you can do that. You might be better off with the one piece high scope mount. Good luck, snookman
Together we stand. Divided we fall.

SECOND AMENDMENT
 A well regulated Militia being necessary to the
security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
What part of \"SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED\" don\'t they understand?

Offline Walt

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 07:59:46 AM »
Brian
I just put one on my Gamo 220. I had to back the screws all the way out and I used a large screw driver to spread the scope rail ever so slightly. It did not take much. I cleaned out the groves in the receiver and ran a little blue locktite before installing the rail. Its held in place with out any movement that I can tell. But like Snookman said, a set of or a one piece high mount could also be your answer.
W

Offline RawToxic

• GTA Donations
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 05:09:07 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. Tonight I looked at the rail again and realized that I was being a dork and not pressing down hard enough on the rail to depress the receiver butt plate to allow the rail to slide on in the groove correctly. I don't know about putting lock tight on the actual receiver groove. That has to be the first time I've heard of that. On the newer gamo models, the gamo scope rail should stay nice and snug due to the fat receiver pin that fits in the hole on the top of the receiver. I guess we'll see how it goes. To stop scope drift on the rail itself, I picked up one of the UTG tactical mounts for RWS/Gamo Whisper rifles with 0 compensation and the 5/8 picatinny rail. There is a little lip on the mount that slides over the front of the scope rail that prevents the entire mount from moving unless the rail actually moves.

Now i'm just waiting for my scope and rings to come in the mail.. WOOT! I can't wait!

Offline Evo|ve_S|66

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 03:25:04 PM »
I was going to do the exact same thing for when I receive my Silent Cat; put on a scope rail (just ordered it) and use a UTG Compensator Mount (to be used for GAMO style shooters) and then slap on a 1-piece picatinny scope mount. But I'm still not sure being as that would put the scope up too high off of the rifle. Especially for my tastes :) However I'll see when I get everything in the mail....this is just purely assumption and speculation *sigh*

-Jarred
\"One\'s Will To Win Is Greater Than One\'s Strength\"

Offline RawToxic

• GTA Donations
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 06:02:54 PM »
The height is not all that bad say 40-50mm objectives but for smallerscopes it may pose a problem. Another solution which I may  be switching to soon is purchasing a BSquare weaver rail from pyramydair.com for about $40.00. It should fit on the gamo receiver groove and lower the scope profile to about half what it is with this combo. I posted the picture I posted here on pyramydair.com's website but they removed it for some reason. Seeing that they market the freaking thing to work with whisperish gamo rifles, at least leave the picture there and let people see what they are getting themselves into if they decide to buy one. I am using mine for the marketed purpose and I was not trying to make people not buy them, just share in my experience by showing an example. In my opinion, when you compare how this mount fits on a diana rifle vs a gamo, the gamo leaves you a little disappointed. I feel that good ole paul capello's review video should have referenced that. I realize now he's not an honest reviewer because he never says anything bad about anything he reviews. Of course, I wouldn't either if I was paid hard cash money. However, he didn't happen to have any gamo's lying around? I mean, he's Paul Capello for crying out loud. LOL! He did mention that it would work with a Gamo but did not display the fit at all in the review. I should have known.

Offline Evo|ve_S|66

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 03:40:58 PM »
I too wondered how the UTG Compensator mount was compatible with the GAMO style rifles; however, I looking back and comparing, I instantly knew that it was only for the GAMO rifles that had the raised scope rail. As compared to let's say a Big Cat, you cannot mount it on without the scope rail. Being as that the Compensator Mount has that anti-creep grove machined on. I would say just get a 1-piece dovetail mount and call it a day -- but being me, I like a stable base to put my high dollar scope on.Additionally, having that piece of mind knowing that my scope won't move with the weaver style scope mount installed :) Looks like I need a 3-9x50 Mildot AO scope with a weaver one-piece now..  -Jarred
\"One\'s Will To Win Is Greater Than One\'s Strength\"