Author Topic: Benjamin PCP pump Quality Question  (Read 6312 times)

Offline Rudy

• GTA Donations
Benjamin PCP pump Quality Question
« on: February 21, 2010, 08:38:50 AM »
Hi, I've been lurking here for a few months and have learned quite a bit from you fellows. I live in the Catskill Mountains in upstate NY, my history with guns consists of competing in the NRA high power national match course, 3 position small bore, and bench rest shooting. Years of shooting has taken its toll on my hearing so I decided to start shooting air guns on a regular bases this winter. I have a RWS to75 that I've used in the off season for practice but it weighs a ton to haul around it the wood.I recently bought a Gamo Big Cat .177-Pyramid Air , and a Bam B26-2 .177from Mike Malick (great guy), neither excite me accuracy wise,but winter prevents  a true test of them.
  Well having completed a quick introduction I can get to the question, LOL, I just got a Discovery last week and I seem to like it even though  it possibly has the worst stock (finish and wood) I've ever seen. This AM I picked up the pump to give it a
 visually once over and was suprised to see the condition of the internal slide surface , it has lots of random scratches and small nicks that your finger nail can catch on. I have a front end loader and backhoe with cylinder rams that are all in better shape than this, I was wondering what kind of shape any of yours are in, mine give me pause as to how long the seals will hold up, but if they are all like this one I guess that"s just how it is.
Thanks and nice learning from you, Rudy  

Offline longislandhunter

• http://
RE: Benjamin PCP pump Quality Question
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 11:50:03 AM »
Welcome to GTA Rudy,, very nice to have you with us.    I have a summer home near Margaretville in Delaware County, are we close ??? Matter of fact I'll be heading up to spend some time up there for the spring turkey season.  To bad I can't use an air rifle  :(

As for the pump,,, I have a Benjy pump that I bought new with the rifle and my pump doesn't have the scratches and nicks you're describiing.  Did you buy it new ??  

My pump works very well and I've never had a problem with it.  The key is to go steady and slow and after 50 or 60 pumps take a break for a few minutes and let the pump cool down.  Working the pump to hard for to long is where you start having problems.  

Again, welcome to GTA. I'll be looking forward to your future posts.....

Jeff
\"If it was easy it wouldn\'t be hunting, it would be shopping.\"

Offline spark22

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 01:37:50 PM »
I'm on my second pump,the first one failed on it's 3rd fill but the second one crosman sent me has pits on the out pump shaft and it's been working for almost 2 years though most of my filling is done by tank i do use the pump every no and then.I have noticed that it's taking mo pumps to fill maybe time to take it down and get it rebuilt by sun optics for $25 but I will be looking at getting the hill pump in the future.
Marauder .177                               benji discovery .22
fully tuned sub 12ftlbs quest 1000x
fully tuned remington vantage 1200
custom 1322 & 2240

Offline chuckster750800

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 02:35:35 AM »
My Benjamin pumped worked good for about 2 months with light use. The number of pumps went from about 45 strokes to fill from 800 pounds to 2000 pounds to about 80 strokes. I found an expolded view of a Hill pump on the internet with the sizes of all the o-rings and ordered them from theoringstore.com. There was one extra o-ring in the Benji pump that wasn't shown in the Hill pump view but I matched it up at Home Depot. There are 12 o-rings to replace and you can order 1 each if you want, I ordered 5 each. The pump was full of nasty black grease that cleaned up with mineral spirits. I use plumers silicone grease from Home Depot to re-lube the pump. The Benji pump works better now that it did when it was new and I've been using it regularly for about a year. My pump didn't have any scratches on the slide surfaces like you have seen on yours but the 0-rings were in pretty bad shape.

Charlie,

Offline Big_Bill

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 03:41:10 AM »

Welcome to the GTA Forums Rudy !

The BEST Air Gun Forum of the Internet !!!!! And, IT'S A GREAT PLACE TO BE !!!!!

I'm just stopping in to welcome you, as I haven't become corrupted by the "DARK SIDE" of air gunning yet !, PCP !

We have a great many fine members here that can help you though, and I'm sure they will all chime in !

I hope to see you here often !

Bill

Life Member of The United States of America
Life Member of the National Rifle Association
Member Air Guns Addicted Anonymous
SHOOT SAFE ! - SHOOT WELL ! - SHOOT OFTEN !
Always Use A Spring Compressor ! and Buy the GREAT GRT-III & CBR Triggers, cause they are GRRRREAT !

Offline Rudy

• GTA Donations
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 11:01:47 AM »
Thanks for your replies, I spoke to a nice lady this am at Crosman, she offered to replace it if I wished but I decided to just go with it for now and see how it's doing as I approach the end of the 1 yr warranty. I guess for $25 to have Sunoptical fix it in the future makes it tolerable Sparks. LI Hunter, I'm over the mountain in Liberty, Sullivan county, I get over to Margretville now and then, great little gun store in town.
Charlie, any idea where you saw that schematic for the Hill pump, I"d be interested in seeing what they look like internally with out having to rip it apart?  Bill, thanks for your welcome.

Offline chuckster750800

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 08:10:04 AM »
Rudy, I had all the information on the Hill Pump and rebuilding the Benji Pump on another computer when the hard drive crashed. I don't remember where I got the info from but I'm looking for it on the internet. If I find it again I'll post it for you and anyone else that would like to have it. The Benji Pump isn't too hard to take apart if ya take your time and lay all the parts out in the order they are removed. The worse part is cleaning all the black goop out of the pump.  I could have just sent my pump back to Crosman under warrenty but I like taking things apart to see what makes them work. Sometimes I get myself into trouble.

Charlie,

Offline Rudy

• GTA Donations
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 11:34:09 AM »
Chuck, sorry about that hard drive thing, Ive been there myself. If you ever figure out where you got that schematicI would appreciate it. Been plowing snow all week here, may finally get to do some shooting tomorrow.