General Discussion To Gateway To Airguns > Crosman-Benjamin Gate

Lube for Nitro Piston Rifle

<< < (2/3) > >>

Gene_SC:
Paul Bob and I seeposts with the bad or misleading information. We try and keep up with it but sometime things slip buy the crack sort of speak. The GTA is for one a new air gunners forum. And a new air gunner will see something like oiling the chamber, barrel is ok then ruin there gun. We just deleted a post about cleaning a air gun barrel with a metal brush..:) Most all of us with any knowledge know that the air gun barrels are nod hardened like regular powder burner guns. Bob, myself and our great group of moderators try to help the new people the best we can but when someone puts out bad information about do's and don't's with air guns it really raises the hair on our necks..:) Done with my rant...:)

Gene_SC:

--- Quote ---airiscool - 3/5/2010 10:28 AM Gene, Charley, I'm glad you two saw this. I hoped you'd both be interested to hear what the Crosman rep said. Understand, I'm not trying to stir the pot, it's just that it comes up every now and then, and I think it's a topic that is worth discussing. I hope it stays civil and productive and we can learn more. If not, I won't be insulted if any of the mods feel they need to edit, or toss it out. The gal in customer service used the term, "dry rot" while talking about the seal drying out. I've seen old sythethic rubber dry and crack and can understand how anyone seeing those parts would use the term "dry rot". While I've never seen, or heard of it happening with AG's seals, it's very common with some compounds of synthic rubber parts in the auto field, which is a field I am rather familar with. But, to hear the term "dry rot" used this time makes me wonder what the seal material actually is in this gun, and how much does the phone person in customer service know about their product. I have great respect for both of your's years of experiance working on Springers. Please understand that, unfourtunately, we the gun owners are sometimes stuck with comflicting info from, the company that built the gun and is going to be the only one to cover it under warrentee, and the guys who work on them everyday, repairing, and making them shoot better. I'm somewhat torn between, while it's under warrentee I should be doing what Crosman says,... but with the two of your's combined experiance, another part of me says to ignor Crosman's advice, which then makes me wonder if I'm risking warrentee coverage by not oiling while I'll probably put ten times as many pellets through it without oiling during the warrentee period as Crosman says I should. Oil, or no oil, whats a poor Springer shooter to do ??? :D :D Paul.
--- End quote ---

Synthetic seals generally get dried and hard because of heat. Most of them are OEM nylon seals. The seals the tuners use from JM are high temp poly seals which take allot more heat to turn them hard. But they are suseptable to miss use from to light a pellet in general.

Bogey:
Regarding the warranty and adding drops of oil.   How could it be determined if you had  or had not  put drops of oil into the chamber??   I personally think it is a poor idea to be dripping oil into a compression chamber.    Go with the advice of CDT and Gene.....don't do it.     And  if these modern synthetic seals can dry rot....I want to know in how many thousands of years.  I have one in the backyard hanging on a nail.   It has been in the weather for almost a year.   Looks the same now as when I put it there.   Why did I hang a seal on a nail?   I wanted to see how resilient it would be under some extreme conditions.

Perry50:
Paul, I too worried about warranty isues if I didn't use the chamber oil.

I'm glad Gene and Charlie chimed in because I was looking for some expert advise. I appreciate all the replies

airiscool:
Gene,
"...Bob, myself and our great group of moderators try to help the new people the best we can but when someone puts out bad information about do's and don't's with air guns it really raises the hair on our necks...."

Understood. It's a fantastic service you all provide to the hobby, and a rather thankless, under appreciated task, I'm sure.  I understand your situtation  because like you and Bob, I and another guy do  similar by answer technical questions on a website dealing with our proffessions. We hear some of the wildest stuff being passed off as "the thing to do", and in our case, it's being done to some very expensive, rare antique autos. The hair raising aspect of it stopped many years  ago when all my hair got too tired to raise anymore and just fell out. :D  

As a result I've learned to take the shade-tree experts advice with a large grain of salt. But anytime the proven experts don't agree on something, that gets my curiousity going. I hope,.. and I apoligize if I did, ... that I haven't made you two feel like I kicked up dirt again.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, and also a very big thanks for the great job you all do with this site !!!!!

Paul.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version