Author Topic: Weirauch HW90  (Read 13798 times)

Offline caplock

• GTA Donations
    • http://
Weirauch HW90
« on: March 30, 2010, 01:15:47 AM »
Hi all just a few lines about the HW90 if you've never heard of them

A collaboration between German Weirauch and British Theoben gave rise to the HW90.
A real 'man' sized gun in proportions and weight. Not the lightest beast to carrying around all day, but its weight translates to a super steady shooting platform.
The design incorporates excellent German engineering with the innovative Theoben gas ram power plant. Think of the gas struts that hold the bonnet (hood?) or boot (trunk?) open on your cars and you get the idea.
The gas ram replaces the spring as fitted in many air rifles, suffers no fatigue or drop off in energy, simple to strip after many many thousands of shots for a reseal and can be pumped back up ( with the optional ram pump shown in the pic) to your required power level for all day plinking or a true long range hunter.
There is very little mechanical noise on cocking or shot release and the lock time is very quick from trigger pull to pellet exit which again aids accuracy.
Firing cycle is best described as a crisp snap rather than a clunk or boing!
Another bonus is that the rifle can be left cocked indefinitely when on the hunt with safety catch applied until the shot is called for without fear of spring fatigue or spooking your quarry at the last minute by cocking the rifle in the field.
That's about it really, superbly engineered rifle that will serve you and the next generation well if it's wiped down after use with an oily rag and pivot points are lubricated every tin of pellets or so.
Comes as standard with excellent iron sights with interchangeable foresight elements, and is a candidate for the fitting of a sling for transport around your shoot.
Definitely falls into the keeper class!

Offline tjk

Re: Weirauch HW90
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 07:37:17 AM »
Nice mini review John. I have the Beeman version,...and as you say,....it is definately in the "Keeper Class"!! I get tickled every time I pull it out to plink. The HW-90/ RX-2 looks of quality, feels off quality, sounds of quality,...and above all else,  it shoots of a finely crafted piece of equiptment. As I once read somewhere on these shooters,...they aren't just a hunting rifle,....they are "the" hunting rifle!!!!! And I agree with that statement!!!  Happy Shooting, Thomas
PS One day I'll write my one review of this rifle,...but I can't put it down long enough to do it. LOL's tjk
397 Benji-98\' model    
Marksman  0035, My Fav!,CDT T\'d
Crosman Sierra-Pro,.177
Benji 392 08\'
CDT TT\'d RWS 34 .22,CP 4-16X40 AO
MM T\'d Marksman 0035
Crosman G1 Extreme
Daisy PowerLine 1000
TF-97 .22
B-28A MM T\'d
B-28 OEM Tuned by me
Beeman .22 RX-2 w/Theoben GR
Beeman .177 R1 Santa Rosa

Offline daveshoot

RE: Weirauch HW90
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 09:59:41 AM »

I've always heard good things (great things) about this one, but it never seemed to get the hype thatother models have. Isn't this based on anotherWeihrauch platform?

If you can spare a few more words on the trigger, and safety, I'd be interested.

Steroid Sheridan rocker, Daisy 990, SS1000, B26-2, QB-57, Crosman 150 (TW), Crosman 1377 x 2,  RWS5G, MP513, IZH53, RWS9N/Cometa, MP661k Drozd, Walther Falcon Hunter, RWS 34 Panther, XS-B3-1, Cummins B3s, RWS94 Cometa x 2, RWS48, Beeman R7, Daisy Avanti 853, RWS92 Cometa 220, Beeman P3, IZH-46M x 2, Daisy Avanti 747, Diana 24, B5-10, BSA Lightning .22, Crosman Marauder #39 .22, Crosman 1322 Phase 1, Diana Model 20, HW70, Shin Sung Dragon Slayer .50, Haenel Model 26, Slavia 620, HW45/.177

Offline caplock

• GTA Donations
RE: Weirauch HW90
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 08:45:08 PM »
Cheers Dave

I believe that the starting point for the gun was the HW80, however as the sealed ram system can not accommodate the piston assembly hook that would otherwise engage with the world renowned Weihrauch Rekord trigger unit that is fitted to most of the line up from HW.
I think the trigger is designated superb. Not too bad, gives plenty of feel and indication of shot release and seems to work well in this application.
Unlike the standard line up from HW the safety is resettable, so no need to re cock the action to allow the rifle to reach the safe position.

There is a link here to a U.K site showing strip down instructions for maintenance, might also give an insight into the inner workings of the '90.

http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/HW90strip.html

ATB John :)

Offline tjk

Re: Weirauch HW90
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 01:43:43 AM »
Dave, The trigger on the RX-2/HW-90 was named the "Elite" trigger. It is a very good trigger and the second stage has little if any 'creep' going into sear release. The older versions had adjustable triggers but the newer triggers are pretty much factory set. Still have that big ole silver screw behind the blade but it's more or less for show. Not as light as a 'match' trigger, but more  a sport/hunting trigger,........which is what this rifle was designed for. The re-setable safety is a really cool feature to the trigger group. When I hold aim too long and fatigue and breathing start to get the best of me, all I have to do is slide my palm back and hit the re-set tab with it. The Beeman/HW are based on a Theoben design from the 80's that Theoben liscenced out to Weihrauch so Beeman could add an air rammed rifle to it's line up. A good call on Dr Beeman's part if you ask me.  Any way you look at it, these rifles are awesome and well worth the money invested. Pellet selection can reach into the heavier side of the spectrum without worry of damaging  a spring like 'spring' powered shooters. You can still buy pumps to adjust the ram pressure ex. tune it down for casual/indoor shooting, or fully charged for maximum power. IIRC, the maximum charge without over doing it is about 20-21 bars on a pressure gauge, which Weihrauch shows on their web site.......which I have yet to find a sourse for here in the states!!! Really it's like riding a bycicle without tires. Doesn't make much sense to  sell one without the other. I'd rather use a gauge than trust a chroney and spread sheets to measure for optimal power settings. Sorry, my little rant on these rifles. But the only issue I have with them period. Once you shoot a RX/HW-90 you'll understand why they are a step up from the rest,....except the genuine article like a real Theoben, Wishcombe, etc,etc. Hope this helps, tjk
397 Benji-98\' model    
Marksman  0035, My Fav!,CDT T\'d
Crosman Sierra-Pro,.177
Benji 392 08\'
CDT TT\'d RWS 34 .22,CP 4-16X40 AO
MM T\'d Marksman 0035
Crosman G1 Extreme
Daisy PowerLine 1000
TF-97 .22
B-28A MM T\'d
B-28 OEM Tuned by me
Beeman .22 RX-2 w/Theoben GR