General Discussion To Gateway To Airguns > Airgun Gate

Scope power for shooting 35 to 50 yards (and maybe a little farther)

(1/3) > >>

wahoowad:

Most of my shooting has been in the yard out to 35 yards. I'm going groundhog hunting when the new Trail XL settles down and I can get some consistent 35 yard groups. Then I'll use the mildots and Chairgun cheat sheet if I need to target any groundhogs beyond 35. I'm expecting them to be more like 50 yards given the property I will visit.

The Trail XL has the Centerpoint 3-9x40 on it and 35 yards seems to be the max I would want to use it. I say that because my 35 yard aiming point seems so small to me at that distance even at 9x. I'm wondering if I should step up to a 4-12x40 given the 35 to 75 (?) yard shots I anticipate. I am sure I can hold that 3-9x on a groundhog at 50+ but really want to be precise in my shot placement and wondering if I need 12x to do that. My Marauder will have a 4-16x40 so maybe I would be better off getting the same scope for the Trail?

Thoughts?

pindog2000:
4x12x50 or 6x18x50 both at natchez if u like bushnells

Mark 611:
Natchez also carries the Bsa contender series scopes and I have not personaly tried them but I have some friends who have and they say they are  very good scopes side wheel parallx mildot available in 3x12 or 4x16x40!

Orin:
I think I'd go for something like this:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Leapers_Accushot_4_16x56AO_Rifle_Scope_Illuminated_Mil_Dot_Reticle_1_8_MOA_30mm_Tube/2277

Here's why:
I have a 6-24x of the same model that works great on my TX200
Illuminated reticle will be great for dusk and dawn shooting
Price is right
Sidewheel compatible
Very strong platform and very adequate clear, bright optics
Extended mil dots that allow for increased hold-over

You would want to make sure the XL can accomodate a 15" scope, though, as this might be the limiting factor on the magnification you end up with.  This has around a 3" eye relief, so there needs to be at least 18" clearance from your eye to the breech, or this scope will interfere with loading.

- Orin

kp4att:
Do not go to low.......Use for that distance 24x for extreme vision and presicion. It is better to have more power when it need it!!!

/Gerald

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version