General Discussion To Gateway To Airguns > Airgun Gate

Scope power for shooting 35 to 50 yards (and maybe a little farther)

<< < (3/3)

wahoowad:
My Trail XL is .22 and with pellet selection will be shooting around 26 FPE at the muzzle and Chairgun estimates 18 fpe at 50 yards.

Orin:
I might be the exception, but I like to keep my hunting scopes zeroed at around 12 yards.  That distance gives what I feel is the best longer range ballistics curve, because it puts the second zero out somewhere between 60 and 75 yards, depending on the BC of the pellets I'm using (CP, Baracuda Match, or JSB Heavy).  With a 35 yard zero, it's quick and easy to aim the crosshairs at shorter distances, but the compensation at 80 yards is rediculous and then I'm forced to use a lower magnification to get a larger field of view... kind of the opposite of ideal.  True, that with a shorter zero, I need to use more hold-over/under at the in-between distances, but with a mil-dot scope cap label, it only takes a quick glace to get my reference.  I make custom labels that show 8x, 16x, and 24x all on the same image in different colors, so changing the magnification doesn't screw up my compensation.

That's what works best for me, anyway.

- Orin

Orin:
Gerald,

How are the optics on that 8-32x56 Leapers?  Is it clear and bright at 32x?  I'd like to get one, but I'm torn between that and the Hawke equivalent.

- Orin

Mark 611:
From my SWAG on what you just posted at 18fpe at 50yds, let say your using a Laepers 3x9x40aomd scope on 9x that gun will probly be back on zero at 50yds with 1 mildot if you use a 30yd zero, I base this off of my own field experience, others my differ!

djmyers:
I shoot regularly at those ranges With my 350 and replaced my 3-9 with a 4-16 mag and I like it more. The center point 4-16x40 ao works great from 30 ft to 65 yards. That's the farthest I have stretched it sofar. You can see the target well at 65 and move the impact in 1/2 in increments at 16 mag at 15 yards. I like higher mag cause you can zoom in at close range or long range.

I take a 3x5 card and right down the mils I need to correct for drop and the wind at each range from 15 to 65 yards. Makes nice little range cards and that way you don't have to remember which gun hits where at what yardage. When I'm done shifting everything I will type them small and either mount it to the scope or stock.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version