Author Topic: Benjamin Trail NP vs NP XL  (Read 20227 times)

Offline ezman604

• Owner/Executive Administrator
Benjamin Trail NP vs NP XL
« on: May 14, 2010, 09:24:01 AM »

Okay, is it my old age or what???? WHAT is the major difference (besides $70) in the Benji Trail NP and the Trail NP XL. I printed the description and photos listed on PA and put them side by side. Only discernable difference I can see from these photos is a slightly different stock. XL has a little different cheek piece and a grip cap. I just punched the button on a Trail NP for $169. Worst case scenerio I would take the power plant and swap it into my SS stock. Cheaper and easier than buying a piston and necessary parts to convert my SS to piston. And a shrouded barrel.

At that price, I may just order another SS stock and replace the NP one. And might actually delve into modding a stock with this one.

I just couldn't pass up that price. Will post how it goes after arrival.

Happy Shooting!!!!

Dave

Crosman/Revelation 760 PumpMaster (Vintage 1967)
Powerline 1000S .177 (semi-tuned by me)
Benjamin Super Streak .177/.22 (semi-tuned by me)
Benjamin Trail NP XL1500 (bone stock)
Benjamin Trail NP XL1100 (project gun)
TF89 .22 (tuned by Gene)
Winchester 1000WS .177 (semi-tuned by muwah)
QB57 (l

Offline onemountain

• http://
RE: Benjamin Trail NP vs NP XL
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 09:50:38 AM »

You would have done well to read the velocity specs while you were at it. The Trail NP XL is substantially more powerful than the NP, at about 25 fpe to the NP's 20. The info is also only a few pages back here in the Crosman Benji Gate.

Do be sure to review that NP when you get it. The reviews on it seem to be a bit sparser than XL review, but the NP holds my interest more, since it sounds like the difference in cocking effort between the two is commensurate with the difference in power. Given that I seem to have reinjured my shoulder, the XL's cocking effort is a bit of a turn off. In fact, my preferred pest and plinking gun right now is the one with the least cocking effort- my Remington 597 in .22lr  8)

Yea, though I walk through the garden in the shadows of pests,
I will fear no squirrel: For thou art with me;
thy scope and thy trigger, they comfort me.

()()                          
(O.o)      
o( ()()  ~In memory of Alu~

????? ?aß?!

Offline ezman604

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 10:06:16 AM »

Did a search of Trail NP on the forums but must have missed something. Yeah, kinda surprises me to see the XL rated at 1100fps in .22 and the NP with just 950fps. You would think the powerplant would be identical. Will be worth a tear down to see how it ticks. This wil be my first RAM so I'm looking forward to it. At 950fps for a .22, that's not too shabby. A lube/tune and reseal might just bring it on up. Also some preload might help. Will just have to see.

I'll definately give it a good end to end run and post a review.

TF89 .22 (tuned by Gene)
QB57 (l

Offline Perry50

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 11:21:24 AM »
The Trail NP is smaller and lighter than the XL. It has a smaller powerplant as well. I have the Trail NP and am pleased with it so far. Cocking effort is 29 lbs and the rifle weighs 8 lbs 3 oz with scope. It shoots H&N FTT pellets 785 FPS for around 20 FPE.

I did a lube/tune and replaced the nicked up factory seal with a JM Tesla seal and gained about 30 FPS. With the FTT pellets, I'm able to shoot 1/2" groups at 20 yards and 3/4" groups at 30 yards. I bet a better marksman could improve on that though.

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Re: Benjamin Trail NP vs NP XL
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 12:21:33 PM »
Where and which one did you buy Dave?
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline ezman604

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 02:08:29 PM »

Gene, I got the Trail NP at Manventure Outpost for $169 + $14 shipping.

http://www.manventureoutpost.com/

TF89 .22 (tuned by Gene)
QB57 (l

Offline DougT

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 04:42:58 PM »
NPSS = Nitro Piston Short Stroke - least power
NP = Nitro Piston - medium power (+- 20fpe)
NPXL - Nitor Piston Extra Long (Large?) - most power (29fpe, 14.3g @ 950fps average-chrono'd) - much heavier (10#? with scope)

I believe the NP is made in USA while I know the XL is made in China.  Not sure about the SS.

There are LOTS and LOTS of threads about these models over the past 6 months or so.  Just scroll through the pages.
Hammerli 850 HPA .22 & Leapers 3-9x32  --  TF-89 .22 & Leapers 4x32
---------------------
2010 air rifle kills
288 starlings
235 pigeons
6 crows
25 other birds
56 ground squirrels
3 tree squirrels

---------------------
2009 air rifle kills
181 various birds
57 various squirrels

Offline airiscool

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 12:29:08 AM »
Dave,

I believe, that like it's big brother, the Trail NPXL, the Trail NP is also made in China. Like on the NPXL, it should say so right after the safety warning label on the left side of the reciever, if it is.

The Crosman NPSS and it's newer, re-named version, the Remington NPSS are made in USA.

Trail models have a thumb-hole stock, a weaver scope rail welded to the reciever, sling and  mounts, and more power than the NPSS, the NPXL being the most powerful of the three. The Trail NP is in the middle with a bit more power than the NPSS.

Because the  Trail NP is closer in size to the Crosman/Remington NPSS, I doubt that it's action will  swap into your Super Streak stock. It's the larger diameter reciever of the Trail NPXL that is based on the Super Streak and it's piston uses the same Walther-Talon Hunter seal as the Super Streak does.  

May take at least a pint of Bondo to make that swap work !!! :D

Paul.
Benji Trail NPXL 1100, Gamo .22 Whisper, Crosman 760 Pumpmaster, Crosman 66 Powermaster, Crosman .22 revolver, Daisy model 102, Daisy early Model 25.

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 04:03:35 AM »
No the NPSS and Trail NP will not swap, no matter how much bondo you use..:)  Trigger slot and mounting holes do not match....
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline ezman604

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 05:39:06 AM »

Just to say I'm not a lazy person. But sometimes I'm pressed for time.

Before starting this thread, I did a search of all forums with keywords Benjamin Trail NP. Brought up a long list of posts. I scanned the topics to try to narrow it down to the info I needed. I believe THIS post servedthree purposes. It combined a ton of info on these Benji AGs, gave me the info I needed to cancel my order and again proved what a very valuable resource GTA Forum members are!!!!The NPCOULD be a good gun but I'm looking for a higher end ram equipped gun withmore power. I have my springers that produce close to that in power already.

MANY thanks for those that responded. I'll hold out for a Trail NP XL or maybe a different brand all toghther. The moment has passed anyway, like a nicotine urge. LOL

TF89 .22 (tuned by Gene)
QB57 (l

Offline airiscool

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 05:48:49 AM »
Dave,

If power for hunting is what your looking for, and your used to the weight of the Super Streak, I think you'll like the Trail NPXL 1100.

Gene_SC - 5/15/2010  12:03 PM

No the NPSS and Trail NP will not swap, no matter how much bondo you use..:)  Trigger slot and mounting holes do not match....

Gene.
They're that far off huh?

Ok, first the chainsaw, then the  Bondo  ???  :D

Paul.
Benji Trail NPXL 1100, Gamo .22 Whisper, Crosman 760 Pumpmaster, Crosman 66 Powermaster, Crosman .22 revolver, Daisy model 102, Daisy early Model 25.