Author Topic: Breech seal care?  (Read 14264 times)

Offline cmdrstp

• GTA Donations
    • http://
Breech seal care?
« on: June 05, 2010, 02:56:42 PM »
Hello. How are you?

I have a Gamo Big Cat 1200. What do you do for breech seal care? Just a wipe from a silicone cloth? I know enough not to use any petroleum based product due to the risk of dieseling or detonation damage. Do these seals ever deteriorate to the point of requiring replacement? If so, where can I buy one for a backup? Is replacing such a seal hard or is it better to leave in the hands of a tuner?

Also, I am in the camp of limiting (if ever) airgun bore cleaning to only initial out-of-the-box cleaning and then limited only to when accuracy drops off due the fear of doing more harm than good with aggressive and/or improper technique. I question the strength of the bore steel or rifling (very shallow). But, when unboxing a new rifle, what do you use for a cleaning agent (non-petroleum based) and do you use a brass brush or just patches?

Thank you.

Stephen
“Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight…
My goodness and my fortress, my high tower and my deliverer…
My shield and he in whom I trust…\"

Offline jay morgan

Re: Breech seal care?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 08:39:00 AM »
HEY BRO. Stephen,I just wipe off my breech seal with a soft cloth(mainly bore pactch's)or even my finger's(a little more lead can't destroy my brain any more than the lead & steel I already carry around LOL) I'm sure they will wear over time & they are not hard to remove(watched my son do it,use a dental tool or a very small screw driver)some on here even place dental floss under them to make a tighter breech lock up(per se like in Bob & Gene's wax paper/tissue seal testing)I'm sure you can order from factory or some where,some gun's come with a spare(beeman for one).And I sadly stand(most likely alone) as useing HOPPE#9 for first cleaning(please don't flog me guy's)but I make sure an run several DRY patch's in bore after & I never use a bore brush(I agree metal to soft)most seem to like GOO-GONE a car cleaning gel(my son swear's by it) & say's it work's GREAT!!!AN hey guy's at least I don't use my SWEET'S 7.62 in my bore's.HOPE this was some help?
N.R.A.(endowment),G.O.A.(life), N.R.A. trainer for,c.c.w.,all firearms &reloading /\" NO FREEMAN SHALL EVER BE DEBARRED THE USE OF ARM\'S\"(Thomas Jefferson)

Offline tjk

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 10:47:40 AM »
A silicone cloth or a soft rag with rem-oil is enough to keep the breech seal supple and in good shape. Just go easy and wipe off any excess. I've done this on all my shooters and have never had any detonation problems. During shooting sessions, I'll wipe the breach seal off with my thumb or finger but this is mostly to knock off any lead flakes left between shots....,....holding the barrel with my other hand of course!!!!!
Alot of folks use Goo-Gone, and it is safe enough for our finely rifled barrels. Wipe with patches until they are dry and clean. A dry patch or two periodically every couple of hundred rounds seems to do the trick for me, unless I have some major "gunk" build up,....then the Go-Gone comes off the shelf. HTH, tjk
397 Benji-98\' model    
Marksman  0035, My Fav!,CDT T\'d
Crosman Sierra-Pro,.177
Benji 392 08\'
CDT TT\'d RWS 34 .22,CP 4-16X40 AO
MM T\'d Marksman 0035
Crosman G1 Extreme
Daisy PowerLine 1000
TF-97 .22
B-28A MM T\'d
B-28 OEM Tuned by me
Beeman .22 RX-2 w/Theoben GR
Beeman .177 R1 Santa Rosa

Offline cmdrstp

• GTA Donations
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 10:04:25 AM »
Thank you, Guys! I appreciate the help. I will do what you suggested.
“Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight…
My goodness and my fortress, my high tower and my deliverer…
My shield and he in whom I trust…\"