Author Topic: BSA Scorpion Carbine .177 w/ custom stock  (Read 2788 times)

Offline TCups

• http://
BSA Scorpion Carbine .177 w/ custom stock
« on: June 15, 2010, 02:15:51 AM »
This stock was made by Tim Merridith.  As far as I know, it was the last stock he did before he disappeared from the GTA.  He dropped it off with Jay Woodcock, who called me.  I picked it up when I was having J do some work on a new rifle for me.  J is still around.  He tells me that his computer is able to download posts and that he can get his emails, but that he can't upload or send emails.  Bummer.  

Timmy:  wherever you are, hope you are OK.  Come back and hang out here at the GTA.  Your family misses you.
Jay:  as ever, thanks for your help.

PS:  Here is the project J is helping me with -- a 1956 Winchester 52-C target model

Offline Progun

• http://comcast
Re: BSA Scorpion Carbine .177 w/ custom stock
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 07:04:46 PM »
TCups, that looks like a mighty fine stock that 'ol Tim whipped up. I do hope Tim comes back around. Lot's of folks have missed him. Same goes for J.Hope all's well. Now about that 52...J must have already finished his handiwork ' cause it sure don't look like it needs anything except a stack of targets and some ammo and trigger time. I hope you enjoy it.Frequently.I noticed the sling swivels. Do you intend to sling it?

Offline TCups

• http://
Re: BSA Scorpion Carbine .177 w/ custom stock
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 07:26:27 PM »
The Winchester 52C Target / Heavy Barrel 22LR was shipped with the target sights mounted (grrrr) and during shipping, one of the two screws holding the mounting block for the sights was sheared off.  The screws had been LocTite'ed and I could back out the broken screw by any conventional means.  J has a mill and was able to align to the un-damaged threaded hole and drill out the shank of the 6-48 bolt broken off in the action.  I am awaiting a special tap from Midway to clean out the threads and I have ordered some new 6-48 screws to remount the Redfield Olympic sights, then she will be good as new and ready to rock and roll.  And yes, I do plan to get a 3-position target sling for her.  Don't know how much 3P shooting I will actually do, but I wanted to fully restore the rifle.  By all accounts, this is one of the finest 22LR target rifles ever made.  Somehow, i seem drawn to the old classics more so than to a new Anschutz or the like.  This one is a fine, heavy piece with an ambi stock.  It is all original, too.  

Last I heard, Timmy had "retreated" to his mom's place.  He isn't answering phone calls.  He stayed overnight with J a couple of days and then was on his way. Never called me.  J let me know he had the stock when I called to get him to help me with the sheared off screw on the Winchester.  J is his usual self.   Broke.  Keeps his old truck running with bailing wire and duct tape.  As fond as ever of anything with a trigger, and always willing to help out.  I over-paid him for the mill work, but I have always had a bit of a soft spot for the guy.  He is a unique character.