Author Topic: Hollow point or domed pellet  (Read 24866 times)

Offline itsnotom

• http://
Re: Hollow point or domed pellet
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 11:24:40 AM »
lumberis totally different than soft tissue. the origianal post was about the effect on game

Offline daveshoot

RE: Hollow point or domed pellet
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 11:41:14 AM »

I wouldn't question your experience, but you're shooting a WFH at lumber. This is the extreme case in springerville, the highest MV against a solid object. Even then it would be interesting to really compare recoveredCrosman domes to HPs with a caliper, and compile the actual differences.

Most of the guns I shoot with are 100 fps or more less than WFH velocities, and they are going through thin-skinned furry game with relatively thin skulls and bones. I did the bulk of my ground squirrel killing with Beeman SS1000 (.177) and Baikal MP513M (.22). Neither is exactly wimpy.

I recovered some from the critters and some from the sand behind them, where additional damage would occur to the pellet. The pellets didn't show any appreciable difference and the squirrels couldn't tell. To be fair, I did not meaure with calipers, either. I did shoot a lot of ground squirrels with those two rifles in particular. The "Beeman" shot very well with CPHPs.

Steroid Sheridan rocker, Daisy 990, SS1000, B26-2, QB-57, Crosman 150 (TW), Crosman 1377 x 2,  RWS5G, MP513, IZH53, RWS9N/Cometa, MP661k Drozd, Walther Falcon Hunter, RWS 34 Panther, XS-B3-1, Cummins B3s, RWS94 Cometa x 2, RWS48, Beeman R7, Daisy Avanti 853, RWS92 Cometa 220, Beeman P3, IZH-46M x 2, Daisy Avanti 747, Diana 24, B5-10, BSA Lightning .22, Crosman Marauder #39 .22, Crosman 1322 Phase 1, Diana Model 20, HW70, Shin Sung Dragon Slayer .50, Haenel Model 26, Slavia 620, HW45/.177

Offline jay morgan

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 12:25:46 PM »
Someone shoot a couple into duct seal an recover them an we should have a answer on this?I'd think the seal would have as much resistance as critter's would?An all pellet's that I've recovered from wood where flattened out,heck some even just broke apart into fragment's.Maybe even use a med. thick cloth over seal for skin/fur?
N.R.A.(endowment),G.O.A.(life), N.R.A. trainer for,c.c.w.,all firearms &reloading /\" NO FREEMAN SHALL EVER BE DEBARRED THE USE OF ARM\'S\"(Thomas Jefferson)

Offline Daysailer

• GTA Donations
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 04:25:43 PM »
jay morgan - 6/21/2010  2:25 PM

Someone shoot a couple into duct seal an recover them an we should have a answer on this?I'd think the seal would have as much resistance as critter's would?An all pellet's that I've recovered from wood where flattened out,heck some even just broke apart into fragment's.Maybe even use a med. thick cloth over seal for skin/fur?

Funny you should ask....

I just shot some test pellets into some duct seal yesterday to document my HW30S's preformance.  Since I have no access to a Crony, I devised a plan to use the duct seal and some pellets archived in tiny zip lock bags, to use as reference for future peace of mind.

5 shots of each pellet, into fresh duct seal areas, 30' indoor,  the numbers are average of the 5 and only symetrically deformed pellets were measured.
Each measured with a digital caliper.

Gamo Match Wadcutters      .215
RWS Hobby Wadcutters      .208
JSB Exact 8.4gr Domed        .197
Crosman Premier Hollow pt   .184

For the lower velocity of my HW30S,  the flat nosed wadcutters definately would open a larger wound track.
YMMV (Your Milage May Vary) with a more powerful airgun,  However, your Magnum's velocity may be may be closer to mine if you are shooting longer distances.

Hope this is helpful for my first post here.  
Thank-You all for the wonderful education in air guns I have been getting from reading this and other forums.

DS
If you find any spellin\' errors, Keep them.
DS