Author Topic: Match rifle velocity question  (Read 3088 times)

Match rifle velocity question
« on: July 05, 2006, 02:11:18 PM »
I've been looking at the match target rifles at various sites on the web and am wondering what velocity would be best for the QB match rifles. I've seen figures from 485 to 640 fps and don't know where the best velocity would be....I'm thinking about 520 to 540 but don't know for sure. What do you guys think?

Offline Wallis

• http://
Re: Match rifle velocity question
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 03:01:48 PM »
That sounds like a real good range 520-540. THe match gun do not really need a lot of FPE. I would suggest to stick around 500-540 fps.

Wallis
let\'s all have fun at what we do

RE: Match rifle velocity question
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 06:05:11 AM »
I'd put an adjuster in the gun.Velocity in match guns is a tradeoff. Higher speeds,to a point,help  accuracy by getting the pellet out of the bore quickly,so that gun movement has less chance of throwing a shot,and to minimize air movement affects on the pellet.(yes,there can be enough movement indooors to be a factor)The downside includes loss of consistency and high gas consumption.At some point,too high a speed will degrade the pellets accuracy,but that is somewhat pellet dependent.Muzzle blast tipping the pellet is another factor.Trigger,ergonomics,consistency,and sight quality are the big factors in match guns.Get those right and you'll have a gun that'll do well.(assuming a decent bore) Are you planning to set it up for bulk? An effective brake? either one, or both, would raise the usable velocity,I'd expect...

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 01:06:34 PM »
The AR2078A's I've worked on don't seem to need alot of add ons, muzzle brake etc. Not sure how an adjuster could be fabricated without alot of work, I've done them with a shot count of 50 and up to 100. Biggest thing is not wasteing gas and keeping the velocity at a point that allows the wadcutter to be accurate and not wobble from the flat front pushing against the air, I'll post some numbers etc. when I get this batch done for the guys, I just wish the rifles would get here so I could start working on them. I think the wait is as hard on me as it is on the guys who they are going to.

Offline ribbonstone

• http://
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 01:31:50 PM »
NOt real sure that there is some magic velocity range for all pellets. Wad cutters (which is what match shooting is about) so deem to repond well at 500-650fps in most rifle barrels, but I certainly haven't tried all possible pellets.

The other factor is the number of shots in a match and the uniformity of the gas system.  Figure a few sighters...then need to complete the match with one charging, keeping in the best area (sweet spot) of the co2 charge.
Robert

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 01:14:08 PM »
Well the rifles are on the way to their new owners, some got the full bore treatment and some didn't. Nobody wanted them in the 550 to 590 range, go figure. I did do one as a test and got it down to 590 and had over 100 shots with one charge. Very little change in velocity until the very end when all the liquid had changed to gas, then a gentle tapering off for about 15 shots. I can't shoot well enough to take full advantage of these rifles but really have fun trying. When you turn them down to under 600 all the shooter hears is the hammer hitting the stop block really amazing.