Author Topic: Indiana airgun hunting laws  (Read 12253 times)

Indiana airgun hunting laws
« on: September 11, 2007, 11:24:50 AM »
Hey again guys, it is very likely that I will be moving to Indiana within around 8 months so I was wondering what the airgun hunting laws are there.

I have been looking on the internet and have found hunting laws having to do with muzzle loaders, rifles, handguns, and bows/crossbows but nothing with airguns.

Does anybody know?

Where I live now I can't legally take anything but pest species with an airgun.

BTW quick update: My CFX .22 should be coming later this week and i already got my INCREDIBLY nice trigger :)

Offline longislandhunter

• http://
RE: Indiana airgun hunting laws
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 12:01:09 PM »
Hey Kyle,

If you go to the "Hunting Gate" there is a link to find the Fish and Game Dept. for your state.  You should be able to find what you need there.  

Jeff
\"If it was easy it wouldn\'t be hunting, it would be shopping.\"

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 12:37:13 PM »
I know of no restrictions on hunting with an air gun here in Indiana.  You obvious have to hunt your quarry in season, but you can hunt squirrel, rabbit, coon, coyote, etc. if the rifle is powerful enough and you use good sportsman's disgression.  TAT2DMAN can fill you in better than I can.

Jay

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 01:21:06 PM »
Where in Indiana are you moving?

Ja

Re: Indiana airgun hunting laws
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 01:28:50 PM »
Moving near indianapolis, city called Carmel i think it was

But thanks for the reply, glad somebody here is from indiana :)

Also, do you go to hunting grounds?  Or do you just shoot in your back yard?

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 02:01:56 PM »
I live 2 miles north of Carmel in Westfield.  I have about 30 yards worth of backyard grass, and then there is about 100 yards of trees, brush, and scrub to a creek and a horse farm behind that.  My range is basically the 30 yards of lawn, but this winter when all the scrub dies off, I am going to clear a nice alley through there to make a nice secluded range.  The land is all flood plain owned by the city of Westfield.  Nothing will ever be built on it.  It's pretty nice, and the neighbors don't seem to mind the shooting.  As far as hunting goes, my brother's in-laws have about 80 acres south of Indy.  They usually have some sort of pests or game to shoot.

Jay

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 02:49:19 PM »
wow you're lucky

I was looking at houses all over carmel and xionsville (sp?) and could not find a yard that was that great

finally found a good one though, but I dont know if we are giong to be able to get that house, it might sell before my dad hears back about the job.  hopefully it wont though, it's only about a 50' wide lot, but it extends like 300 feet back, and the back yard is like all woods

woods are only 50' wide though, as i said :p

I saw a squirrel in the front yard as we pulled up, but didn't see any back in the woods on the quick tour

hopefully there will be some :p

Offline tat2dman

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 10:30:05 PM »
Well Kyle you might be neighbors with one of the best known airgun hunters in the usa!Ever heard of Jim Chapman?check out his hunting log at:http://www.americanairgunhunter.com/airgun_hunter.html,as for the game laws there really arn`t many spelled out,when you get situated call your local district field office of the DNR and feel em out,if anybody gives you any grief it would be them.Also note that many cities in Indiana have an airgun ordinance about shooting within the city limits,not usually enforced tho,unless ya say the wrong thing and it`s conveinient for them,then they can take your gun and all kinds of fun stuff,Carmel/Zionsvilles a pretty ritzy area for central Indiana so ya might wanna get to know your neighbors before they see ya knockin down tree rats,Jay mentioned the poss. of forming an org. for shooting/hunting,I think he`s working on a place,if not I know of one here(Anderson area-bout 35 min. NE of Carmel)if that falls through I might have enough pull with my local cons. club for 10m indoor and unlimited outdoor,any interest?ne body????
Barry Jackson-765-602-1351
barryjackson40@gmail.com
Sig-Sauer P229 .40-for 2 legged vermin!
BSA Super 10 .22 FAC-Bowkett Blueprinted,BSA Super 10 .177 12 FP,tuned by me with JB`s assistance and pics.A couple of smokin QB-78`s-1 hot rod co2,1 pcp conv. by yours truly!!
\"Got a gun for the ole lady\"....good trade huh?

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 11:04:49 PM »
Wow big-bore hunting is really taking it to the next level

Yeah, I'll be sure to call them when I move, and hopefully they won't really care.  Carmel doesn't really seem much like a city though, it's just a bunch of suburbs, which is good

We were pretty much only looking at houses taht had private back yards, and this one we found, which we'll hopefully get, is really private, so hopefully that'll be fine (in terms of neighbors, dunno how they'll react to the noise though)

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 02:34:21 PM »
Barry,

You know I'm interested.  I haven't made any progress yet with Crooked Creek.  Might have to join before I can get the board to consider.  I know I can swing it in Kokomo at the Isaac Walton league.  It's only $100 per year and they seem really laid back.  A guy from work takes me shooting there all the time.  Sounds like that one out by you even lets non-members join in the fun.

JAy

Offline tat2dman

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 11:38:39 PM »
Ya know I never really thought about it,I`ll have to make a phone call to find that out.
Barry Jackson-765-602-1351
barryjackson40@gmail.com
Sig-Sauer P229 .40-for 2 legged vermin!
BSA Super 10 .22 FAC-Bowkett Blueprinted,BSA Super 10 .177 12 FP,tuned by me with JB`s assistance and pics.A couple of smokin QB-78`s-1 hot rod co2,1 pcp conv. by yours truly!!
\"Got a gun for the ole lady\"....good trade huh?