Author Topic: what animal would kill a hawk?  (Read 25143 times)

Offline Rolls-Royce

Re: what animal would kill a hawk?
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2008, 07:01:07 AM »
killdawabbit - 6/6/2008  4:23 AM

good idea. a paintball gun would also let the owner know (if it has one) that the mongrel has been someplace where it shouldn't.

-Mark

Of course, that could backfire. Get a strident animal-rights activist who's also a cat owner, and they could come looking for-then go after with legal means-whomever was so cruel to shoot their tabby. I say a date with a lead pellet for the cat would be the all-around most effective solution.

Offline gamo2hammerli

• http://
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2008, 12:51:48 PM »
That's true Rolls Royce.....I never thought about that.  Sometimes you just can't be too kind and give them a chance......
Gamo: Expotec .177 + Big Cat .177 + Viper .177 + Whisper .177, Hammerli Titan .177, Diana model 24 .177, RWS-Diana P5 Magnum pistol .177, Crosman: G1 Extreme .177 + Storm XT .177 + Sierra Pro .177 + 1377 pistol .177, Air Arms S410SL .22, BSA Scorpion T10 .22, FX Cyclone .177, Remington Air Master 77 .177 + BB\'s,

Offline SirNomad

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2008, 02:28:46 AM »
Unless the paintball somehow paints out your name and address magically I think you're in the clear. Cats keep down the population of the smaller and more obnoxious little rodents (mice/rats) that we usually can't effectively control with an airgun. And as for dogs, it's the fault of the owners who let them roam, not the poor dumb dog who doesn't know any better. And as far as I know, using a paintball gun as a method of chasing off strays from your property is not only legal, but encouraged in a lot of places because it's more humane than a lot of other methods.
]]\\\\[[ (()) ]]\\\\//[[ //=\\\\ ]]))

Offline Big_Bill

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2008, 03:52:08 AM »

It seems we have gone far astray of the topic here,

And as a cat owner and cat lover, I can tell you that feral dogs are the only animal other than Man, that kills for the fun of it. I hunted feral dogs in PA, after a little girl was mauled by a large pack of them.

Cats hunt for food, and since it may be some time between meals it appears that they kill all too often. You seldom see a dead cat that has died of starvation, because they hide in their den, or in a brush pile and die.

Cats seldom have collars, as they spend lots of time removing them ! And because of there method of travel, they have been caught in fences and yard junk when collars have been to tight to remove, they starve to death.

Cats are neat, clean hunters, and I know how hurt I would be if someone shot my cats. So PLEASE be considerate of cat owners, they might be friends of yours !

Bill

Life Member of The United States of America
Life Member of the National Rifle Association
Member Air Guns Addicted Anonymous
SHOOT SAFE ! - SHOOT WELL ! - SHOOT OFTEN !
Always Use A Spring Compressor ! and Buy the GREAT GRT-III & CBR Triggers, cause they are GRRRREAT !

Offline only1harry

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2008, 05:07:43 AM »
I agree Bill.  I 've owned several cats over the years and I never had a mouse, rat, or snakes in or around the house.

They do take their collars off.  Some don't like collars at all and will go crazy trying to take them off.  They also get caught in fenses or branches and can be dangerous to "outdoor huntng" cats.  I 'm certain that house cats get confused for feral cats on many occasions.  

Although many cats do eat what they catch, some don't.  I had a very well fed cat that ate 2 cans of catfood a day, but she still brought home chipmunks, mice, birds, squirrels and rabbits and dropped them off outside the porch door.  Some of them she played with and let them go, some she brought home dead.  Some were half eaten but most weren't.  She just loved going outside to catch critters.  As she got older, she would just watch a squirrel go by half asleep on the porch.  When she were younger that squirrel wouldn't stand a chance most of the time.  She was a great hunter up until she was 10-11yrs old and I admired her for it.  She was small, light and very agile.  Nothing got away from her once she set her eyes on it.  She lived to a ripe old age of 18.  My last cat we kept indoors because because the one before her only lasted 2.5yrs before she got hit by a car and died in the middle of the road 1/2mi. from our house while she was in search of prey.  The indoor cat recently died of old age at 16.5.

Feral cats can definitely be a problem and can also kill all the house/pet cats in the neighborhood (mostly the males) if it's a big mean male and wants to mate with the females.  I watched a big feral male cat kill both my neighbor's male young cats (about 1-1.5yrs old) in front of my eyes.  It was brutal and hair raising.  I broke up the 2nd fight with the other neighbor's cat with a broom stick and even then he still wanted to attack the other poor cat and was hissing at me.  I had to hit him on the head with the broomstick to let go of the other cat, but it was too late.  He had already taken a couple of big chunks off his side (I could see the cat's insides) and had scratched up his head badly that was covered with blood.  I waited unitl the neighbor got home and told them what happened.  Their cat died on the way to the Vet.  A week later that big male feral cat (was almost the size of a bobcat) showed up at my porch again looking to mate with my cat, so I shot it with my 760 Pump in the chest with a pointed pellet from 6-7yds away after I pumped it 10 times.  He ran away and I never saw it again.  I was really mad at him and was certain it was feral because his hair was all matted and he seemed to have a lot of tics and flees.  That was the only time I shot a cat but it looked so dirty and ugly and after watching it kill 2 of the neighborhood house cats, I made the decision to take it out (I 'm sure it died later from infection or lead poisoning if not internal bleeding).  It was a hard decision to make and one that I was contemplating for more than a week but it had to be done.  This cat was distructive and a killer of other pet cats that were loved and missed.  A day or 2 later I learned he had killed the male cat of the neighbor across the street too.  One of my next door neighbor's cats he killed was a very nice pure bred Perisan cat that they had paid good $ for.  All these other pet cats never stood a chance because they were neutered and had lost much of their testosterone, aggression and will to fight.  They were easy pickings for the feral cat that didn't even seem to have a scratch on him.. I 'm glad I was there to put an end to his destructive behavior.
Springers:
Diana 36 .177
Diana 350 .22 (donated by Timmy!)
Diana 350 .177
PCP\'s:
Air Force Condor .22 (Airhog)
Air Force Condor .25 (Talon Tunes)
Air Force Condor .25 (Lemak)  
CO2/Pump:
RWS Hammerli 850 .22
Crosman 2240 Custom .22
A few Crosman pumpers .177

Offline SirNomad

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2008, 06:06:04 AM »

Yeah there are some feral cats that are just plain dangerous to everything else. If there was a feral cat around killing other cats there's pretty much nothing else you can do unless you want to trap it and turn it over to the humane society (animal control would kill it anyway and at a much greater cost than a pellet, shot shell, or bullet). It's not normal for cats to fight to the death, if that one was killing the other cats it's because there was something wrong with it. Normally when cats fight the loser is allowed to flee by the winner.

What prompted me initially to start looking at an air rifle was the rabbit overpopulation out here AND our cats just don't know how to kill a mouse. After having to use more "hands on" methods to dispatch a couple of mice that got into the house that our housecats had crippled, I decided I wanted something I could use at a distance so that the little crippled rodents wouldn't see me coming at them, panic, and end up in a place I couldn't reach.

All that said, I'm sorry about what happened to that hawk. You probably can't tell for sure if the cats that you believe did it are feral or someone's pets, cats are notorious for not keeping collars on (ours are indoor cats, but they're microchipped anyway). Your best option might be to get some live traps and catch 'em, although that's more effort than just tagging them with a paint ball. If they ARE someone's pets and you tag them with a paint ball it might encourage the owners to keep them inside.

]]\\\\[[ (()) ]]\\\\//[[ //=\\\\ ]]))

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2008, 07:12:26 AM »
I now have home video of the cat killing rabbits in my backyard.

clean and neat hunters my ass. that baby rabbit was alive when its intestines were ripped out, and then it was just left there.

I am calling the local animal control, and if they don't react I'll take care of it myself.

-Mark