Author Topic: Oct 24, 1924 crosman 22 pellet rifle  (Read 9042 times)

Oct 24, 1924 crosman 22 pellet rifle
« on: August 23, 2008, 10:22:10 AM »
Now that a couple neighbors heard my pellet rifle is getting seen by an expert(CharlieDaTuna) I have a neighbor who brought over an old Crosman 22 cal pump rifle. Works but takes a lot of pumping before pressure will build up and then builds OK. Fires OK after I got figured out how the pellet opening got far enough to fit the pellet in front of the bolt. Needs cleaning and probably more in the way of seals and whatnot.
The receiver above the trigger reads Crosman, Oct 28, 1924 Patents Pending on the right side. On the left side it reads Mfs by CROSMAN ARMS CO Rochester, NY.  Orientation as one holds a rifle to fire.

Part of the name and writing in that area has worn off through use over the years. Some minor rust and dirt to clean off. All original. Still shoots, but what do I do and where do I go to get this one taken care of or where do I get parts to get it up to snuff?

You open the bolt, slide a metal bracket plate back from on top of it and this opens the area where a pellet fits to go into the barrel. A small block has to be pushed out of the way to get the pellet to slide into the chamber so something isn't quite aligned.

Any help here is appreciated as I am no expert on these things.

RE: Oct 24, 1924 crosman 22 pellet rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 10:29:57 AM »
Ooops, forgot to mention that the bracing piece on the under barrel cocking lever has the numbers 1813P stamped on it. As you let the cocking lever(wood covered) come down(duct taped to the barrel as it doesn't stay in place otherwise) you can see that one one side of the brace piece.

After I put a pellet in the chamber I have to pull back a cocking spring that is like a big plug on the back of the air pressure barrel, below the bolt area. This apparently cocks it so it will fire. I have fired it a few times with a pellet in it and it does shoot. Have not really pumped it up and won't until I find out more about reality with it. I do know he shot it within the past 10 years as the hold in his kitchen door goes all the way through. Seems when he found it in his grandfathers attic he brought it home and was pumping and figured out the cocking and fired it...and the pellet went through the kitchen door. Yep, it was loaded.

My neighbor is interested in getting it working, not selling it. From what I read here sounds like seals and a few tweaks might do it.

Offline Big_Bill

• http://
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 11:11:08 AM »

Well Mahonri,

If you posted a photograph, that would help alot :)

But what he may have, is a Third Model Rifle (Second Lever Model), a very rare model !

If you search the Internet under Crosman Repairs, you will find a number of airgun smiths.

http://hometown.aol.com/vintairgun/repairs.htm

Check this one out.

Bill

Life Member of The United States of America
Life Member of the National Rifle Association
Member Air Guns Addicted Anonymous
SHOOT SAFE ! - SHOOT WELL ! - SHOOT OFTEN !
Always Use A Spring Compressor ! and Buy the GREAT GRT-III & CBR Triggers, cause they are GRRRREAT !

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 11:54:28 AM »
Within a couple of days I will post a few images of the rifle. Am editing images for clients now and have to finish that first. Cleaned a bit and found the numbers 119 under the pressure barrel just behind the folding pump wood piece. There were apparently other numbers starting with a 4(looks like) and then stamped over so they are unreadable. Possibly 3 or 4 numbers and the last one is a 2, then have the clean stamped 119 on it.
It has a tube feed for pellets in front of the block that captures the pellets from the tube and then slides over when the bolt shoves the pellet into the chamber. Right now I got it to shoot four times  and can't get the pressure back up. Leaking out through the barrel for sure and probably past seals inside. Can't tell with too well with the hearing loss.

I will get photos up within a few days and see if that helps.

thanks in advance.

Offline melloroadman

• http://
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 12:11:20 PM »
I just dealt with Alan at A B air guns on my old Montgomery Wards Crosman 140 and the man is about as honest as your going to find . You might give him a try and if he can not help you with info and parts he can probable tell you of some one who can . He refused to take my money until I have received and inspected the parts and then charges me $2.00 to press on a pump cup . I don't think it gets any better than that .Marvin
http://www.abairgun.com/index.html