Author Topic: GTA FORUM..........  (Read 6083 times)

Offline airgun/cuz

• http://www.longislandairguns.com
GTA FORUM..........
« on: September 30, 2008, 03:03:12 PM »
This is not directed toward any one individual,if you personalize this,then you need to ask yourself why..........I am starting to get tired of the the SOAP OPERA that this place is becoming,I've been a member since February & consider myself a well respected one.....I will be the first to say that I do not agree with each & every rule in life let alone on a smaller scale like this forum. GOD knows that I have payed my dues breaking lifes' rules......My point is that wether or not we agree to certain rules,we need to accept & respect them for what they are.....honestly they are really not that difficult to obide by.....but human nature will cause us to challenge & push us as close to the edge as we can get....untill we finally fall......BEEN THERE DONE THAT......I am no means Mr. Righteous nor am I trying to come off like one...I use to actually enjoy hanging out on the forum,I am not a fan of SOAP OPERAS or that HE SAID,SHE SAID BS.which is what this is beginnig to look like.....instead of AS THE WORLD TURNS, Lets try AS THE FORUM TURNS.. :o I have met some really good people here that I speak with on a daily basis & others that I keep in touch with,it bothers me than most of us do not get involved with the posting as much as we use to because of the SOAP OPERA/HE SAID SHE SAID BS.  I don't know about anyone-else but I don't like comming on the forum & everday read about WARNINGS/ALL MEMBERS READ..........There have been more warning signs here lately than at a NUCLEAR POWERPLANT :D  Why does it have to come down to Administrators/Moderators having to constently reminding us of the rules,we all agreed to rules before registering for this forum, we are not idiots that we have to constantly be reminded......WHAT HAPPENED TO THE WARM FORUM THAT MYSELF & OTHERS BECAME ADDICTED TO.......As I started this off,this is not directed toward any one individual,if taken as it is,please check yourself..............There is a saying: ACT AS IF UNTILL YOU BECOME PART OF IT!   Well if more us  acted like BIG BILL, we would all be fine.............BIG BILL IS A CLASS ACT! :)  :)  8)        FAMILY MEMBERS, LET'S PULL IT TOGETHER & BRING BACK THE BEST PLACE TO BE!
Joe Cuz
 http://www.longislandairguns.com

ANY FOOL CAN LEARN FROM HIS OWN MISTAKES,IT TAKES A WISE MAN TO LEARN FROM THE MISTAKES OF OTHERS!              

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
RE: GTA FORUM..........
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 03:38:45 PM »
Agree 100% Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

Offline SDale

• http://
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 04:25:34 PM »
Same here... I agree 100%

BUT, it's to be expected. The more a population grows, obstacles in growth are bound to present themselves in at least one way shape or form.

Also, the attitude is infectious. As one or more people start trolling and baiting, there are those who are bound to bite. Once they do, they're infected with the bug and go off on the trolls. They assume they aren't hurting anything but the troll's esteem or trying to put their point across. But in actuallity they're just adding to the flame and "Breeding" so to speak. It changes the current & future membership's attitude toward the forum AND each other.  

I've seen this happen on MANY forums, and sad to say it... But I saw it comming. I believe it's what happened on the original Talon Airgun Forum.  This is also what  happened on a motorcycle forum that I helped start in late 2000. It was a GREAT place for about a year and a half. Then the trolls & know-it-alls came. The trolls used the anonymity as an excuse to start "Flame Wars" and broke the rules intentionally to draw others in. The Know-It-All's wanted to preach about how they were Geniuses and everyone else was a stone aged retard for not going along or wanting to Experiment. And guess what??? The trolls worshipped the know-it-all's...They were all one big happy group screwin everone else over.

The bottom line is, we've got a good membership on a GREAT forum. It's OUR responsibility to keep it maintained by ignoring trolls and not taking their bait. If someone's got beef with another member, FINE. Take it to PM or E-Mail. Maybe even a phone call (typing lacks emotion and can be taken litterally more often than not!). But DON'T take it out on eachother in the forums. Like I said before, it's infectious and breeds more of the same.

This IS a great place to be...Let's all keep it that way!!!

Offline kmac

• GTA Donations
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 04:37:39 PM »
I totally agree also.
Seen it before many times.
Just ignore the trolls and they find another bridge to lurk under.

Offline daveshoot

Re: GTA FORUM..........
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 11:20:33 PM »
Joecuz and Sdale say some good things. The forum's success is the reason for more people, more opinions, and occasional heat. Comes with the territory.

Gotta add in all fairness that there are degrees of cautionary and disciplinary remedies, short of banning or inviting people to leave.

There is a clear policy about racial and lurid topics. There is a slightly fuzzier one about the muzzle thingies but it is known. I would just let the people be the people in the back room if they stay out of those crimes. People who become unpleasant or disagreeable can be warned by PM or just pointed to the policies again. It doesn't always work. Then the bans can be considered.

GTA is at a fork in the internet road, where it is going to be one of the predominant sites for AGs, or it is going to turn into a comfy back porch for a few like-minded friends. Either one is a possibility, and completely up to the excellent and enterprising fellows who started it up.

Consider this for a sec: If we look around our tiny world of air-gunning, the GTA is probably the second most active ag forum in North America, and arguably the one with "momentum". It is a locomotive right now. This is a heck of an opportunity if you choose to look at it that way, but the ownership may not want that.

People come to forums looking for info, and for action. When you see a forum with 2-3 replies on a months old topic, you don't hang there. GTA is a blizzard of action, help, advice, interesting things, and cool pictures. It is fresh almost every day. Until recently, the main topic pages were also free of internal politics and bickering (including other-forum-bashing, how pointless) and all the warnings.

The family feel is an important part of GTA's success. But large, growing families are tumultuous noisy things. You don't normally just kick one of the kids out of the family, even if you have to walk 'em behind the woodshed and administer a whack now and then. And of course you administer some whacks in front of the rest as an example... but it would be nice to see that gently applied, and sterner threats can be taken off line.

Frankly the bickering doesn't bother me if it stays in the back room within the existing rules. New users don't care about back rooms until they have been here for a while and start to recognize handles and personal styles. There are always folks who won't get along on specialized forums. They can shoot it out in the back rooms for all I care, and sometimes it's even amusing. I enjoy the free for all atmosphere (within the rules) but maybe it isn't for everyone. I can not open any gate or thread I choose. No one knows but me.

It was a little disconcerting to see useful contributors and long term members invited to leave, and that's a sign of that fork in the road. Maybe we could all take a deep breath, have a tobacco product on the back porch if so inclined (caution, known to cause cancer in the state of California), and think about what the forum could be, and look like, in years to come. There is a major opportunity but maybe it is unwanted.

I shoulda sent this philosophical drivel in a PM but it also is not for any one person. Some of the overreactions to the overreactions aren't helping either.
Steroid Sheridan rocker, Daisy 990, SS1000, B26-2, QB-57, Crosman 150 (TW), Crosman 1377 x 2,  RWS5G, MP513, IZH53, RWS9N/Cometa, MP661k Drozd, Walther Falcon Hunter, RWS 34 Panther, XS-B3-1, Cummins B3s, RWS94 Cometa x 2, RWS48, Beeman R7, Daisy Avanti 853, RWS92 Cometa 220, Beeman P3, IZH-46M x 2, Daisy Avanti 747, Diana 24, B5-10, BSA Lightning .22, Crosman Marauder #39 .22, Crosman 1322 Phase 1, Diana Model 20, HW70, Shin Sung Dragon Slayer .50, Haenel Model 26, Slavia 620, HW45/.177

Offline preez

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 12:30:29 AM »
I'm with ya Joe, 100%, I skip all the drama, it is not what I come here for.

Chris
Bam B-26 .22, Hammerli 850 .22 HPA, Marauder .22

LITTLE HUMILITY GOES A LONG WAY!!!!!!!!! - Joe Cuz

Offline Dave1899

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 12:49:45 AM »

Joe, Sam and Dave hit the nail on the head. I 100% agree. When I joined up here things were rolling along real nice. I know a lot of the break down can be attributed to the economy and the elections but we are all adults here and should be able to control ourselves. This is our playground but we don't own it and need to follow the rules the owners have put in place.

SDale - 10/1/2008 12:25 ...It's OUR responsibility to keep it maintained by ignoring trolls and not taking their bait.
[/i]

We all know better than to throw gasoline on a fire...duh

David

David

\"Time makes more converts than reason.\" Thomas Paine  

Offline fatback

• http://www.bullystylepits.com
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 01:24:19 AM »
I totally agree and think this is getting way out of hand. I come to the forums and get Dizzy looking at all the please read, warnings and announcements. With all this, I have to scroll halfway down the page to find the first post. I believe we all read the rules here before we signed up, now all we need to do is follow them!! I don't think we should have to have the moderators as baby sitters and referees. Please follow the rules and policies or leave if you cant or don't want to abide bye them. The members who do follow the rules are getting annoyed with the constant bickering and drama. This is Bob and Gene's forum, abide bye their rules or leave, as simple as that. If you don't like the rules here, go create your own airgun forum. I have only been here since February, and met a lot of great people with lots of knowledge and love for the sport. Everyone made me feel right at home from day one. I used to visit more forums, but because of the warm welcome here, I made the GTA my home. I try to steer clear from debates and any Drama. I am here to enjoy airguns and learn and share my experiences and not get into heated debates. I feel that if you don't agree with someone else's views that is fine, just don't bash them for it. We are all individuals with our own views and thoughts. I try to keep an open mind and treat people in the manner, I would like to be treated. We all share the same love and passion for airguns and that is what brings us together as a family, not the fighting and heated debates.
please stop the drama, and let's get back to what we love... airguns!!
Chris

Crosman 1377, Crosman 2240, Crosman 1389 backpacker, Custom AR2078 .177, R7 .177, R7 DG .177, Crosman Discovery .177,Disco Pistol, Disco Carbine, R9 GF .20, Sheridan rocker.20, Crosman Discovery .22, AF Condor .22, Shark bolt action .22, BSA Sportsman HV .22, Career II 707 .22, Career Ultra .9mm,  Beeman Kodiak .25

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 01:24:26 AM »

Well Joe, the GTA as a whole is growing very quickly and as you know, as the numbers increase the more likely we will find that there are some loose cannon's. Bob and me just want the GTA to be a place where adult,young adults, women can go without seeing or reading smutt. The GTA is an Air Gun Forum First. Bob and I have discussed shutting down the Back Room for it seems to be the place where most all the Drama Comes from. But we feel that the Back Room can be a place where members can talk about off subjects etc. But when religion or politics come into the picture then the Soap Opera Starts. Bob and I want the members to run the GTA and the last thing we hate is to have to put up those Warning type posts. The GTA belongs to all of the members and not just Bob and me. We just pay the bills...:) I hate seeing things getting out of control just as much as the rest of you. I might make a small suggestion when it comes to a renegade member. Just click on that members name and put them on Ignore. The worst thing is to argue with them and end up lowering yourself to there level in the process. Been there and done that myself..:( Send one of the Moderators or Admin's a PM about the intruder, troll or what ever you want to call them and let us take care of the situation. In the future Bob and myself will be more discrete about putting up the Warnings. They are not meant for the GTA members but simply to alert those who have gone astray or a troll etc. that the GTA as a family will not put up with there crap. As far as the GTA policies, Bob and I understand that not everyone agrees 100%. We hoped that those policies would curtail those who want to troll and cause trouble on the GTA. We just want the GTA to grow as a family as a whole. Joe, we are always open for suggestions and new ideas. All the GTA member feel free to send either Bob, or me your suggestions and we will discuss them and put them out for a vote on the GTA.

Gene

THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline preez

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 01:28:43 AM »
Hey guys, I just looked on the Yellow and this is what I found on the very top of the "Off Topic" forum:

"Discuss all but religious and political topics"

By no means I want to shape this forum based on any other, but most of them have learned already that those subjects bring people's blood to boiling point in no time.

Chris

Offline leftcoast1

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 01:33:17 AM »
I have to admit seeing all the warnings is getting old and does take away from the desire to read and post. I've been there got caught up in it then relized what an absolute waste of time. I just hope that after the election the political talk with subside no matter the outcome. I think having the backroom soley geared toward airguns makes no sense. What could we possibly discuss there that couldn't be covered on any of the other gates. Opinions are like ******** everybodys got one. Don't make it personal and don't take it personal. Trolls with be trolls  know it alls will be the same. Just click the ignore member. I honestly  move to the GTA because I was tired of the samething happening on the previous forum I was on.
Jason
A couple of Springers nothin to get excited about.

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 01:45:10 AM »
Chris

That is just what we hate to see. It is not right that members freedom of speech violated. We go as far as to say no to bad language, slurs, racial content and slamming. But the last thing Bob and I would hate to do is restrict subject content. That is one reason many members do not attend the yellow forum. If it came down to the last straw then I think we would just eliminate the Back Room. That would be the last thing I would want to do if things really started to get out of control. And Jason you are right, no one likes to see the drama. We all look forward to reading about air guns, hunting, etc.

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline preez

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 01:50:24 AM »
Fair enough Gene.

Chris

Offline airgun/cuz

• http://www.longislandairguns.com
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 02:14:11 AM »
Gene,I don't think that you guys shouldn't post the warning signs,after all they are posted for a reason......After reading it once I honestly feel that our members are smart enough to get the message,like I said earlier,there are always the few that like to push it to the edge,we as a whole know the individuals & like you said we should ignore them,My comment about being tired of reading all these warning signs was not to dilute its' sole purpose,I agree that every now & then something of that nature should be posted as a reminder,My comment was directed for those that put there blinders on toward the first warning signs,As my buddy Chris Fatback mentioned,why do we need the Administrators/Moderators to literally baby sit us.....Yeah the back room is for discussions other than airguns but to also do so responsibley,I worked in facilities with 200-300 clients from all walks of life,majority of them right out the penial system,,,drug addicts,drug dealers,thieves,some murderers that were given another chance,my job was to counsel them & get back on the right track,God knows how difficult it was,what to do when the rules are broken,what I would do is take certain privleges away untill I felt they were responsible enough to handle them..........this is a much smaller scale with basically no consequences as detrimental as those from facilities I have mentioned,this is the main reason why we have people who continuously disrespect our rules...we all know on that bigger scale that I write about, these few individuals would certainly not even think about anything but walking that straight & narrow line called structure,evident by their involvement & challenging manner in such a safe & warm environment like GTA should be.....My suggestion is to suspend those members from the back room until they learn how to follow the rules of the backroom, let them earn the right to access that privlege, and yes I think that they should, on an open forum be introduced as being suspended,they will have to make a decision to grow or go ...... LITTLE HUMILITY GOES A LONG WAY!!!!!!!!!I would really like to get that great feeling back toward my home within my home :)   I know that my friends from this forum would support this forum as well as this suggestion........ :o
Joe Cuz
 http://www.longislandairguns.com

ANY FOOL CAN LEARN FROM HIS OWN MISTAKES,IT TAKES A WISE MAN TO LEARN FROM THE MISTAKES OF OTHERS!              

Offline preez

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 02:27:38 AM »
hehe, see my new signature, love it!