Author Topic: hog info needed.  (Read 1209 times)

hog info needed.
« on: October 08, 2008, 05:17:19 AM »
i just picked up two 30 lb hogs, i'm wondering what is the best way to dispatch them.
a head shot will mess up the preasentation.
should i bleed them instead?

Offline WBZsDAD

• http://www.lowtideboats.com
RE: hog info needed.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 05:55:32 AM »
22 magnum behind the ear towards the opposite eye, then immediately penetrate the left arm pit or in a hogs case "leg pit" to the heart with a knife, that gets them bled out real good, I know of some that go in just in front of the front shoulder but that way is a lot more difficult to hit the heart.

Of course if they are little boars then cut them and feed them for a while and let that boar flavor get out first, and whatever the gender make sure you don't get them all riled up before you do it, that gets all the adrenaline and what not flowing and may show up in the taste of the meat. Try to make sure they have been very calm for a while before you do it.

However you mentioned presentation, are you mounting a 30 pound hog? If so then skip the 22 mag and go for the second phase mentioned, be prepared for some hellatious squealing though if you skip the 22 mag. the only problem with that way is you can't maintain the part about keeping them calm first if you are chasing them around a pin. Hope that's not too graphic.

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 12:17:44 AM »
hi Todd,
thanks for the info.
the pigs are for a pig roast so thats why i wanted to skip the head shot.

Offline WBZsDAD

• http://www.lowtideboats.com
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 01:45:52 AM »
Gotcha, the 22 mag or even a 22 long rifle would both do the trick at hog pin distance (Close range) and more than likely neither one would ever exit; they just tend to zoom around and round kindof scrambling as they go.