Author Topic: A Term Used That Really Bugs Me  (Read 7206 times)

A Term Used That Really Bugs Me
« on: December 18, 2008, 02:03:42 AM »
Ever notice that when some people refer to their air gun whether it be a rifle, pistol , PCP, Co2, spring , soft air,or whatever, they will use the term "WEAPON" in describing it. I hate that. An airgun is not a offensive or defensive weapon. You probably wouldn't ever want to use an airgun to defend yourself, and it just gives fodder to those who would restrict our access to all guns. You don't ever hear of someone refering to a ball bat as a weapon when discussing baseball. Although it certainally could be used as such , and much more effectively than most airguns. Descriptive sematics are very important to the gun grabbers. Just look at how the term assult weapon is mis-used.

Offline miked6762

• http://
RE: A Term Used That Really Bugs Me
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 05:27:00 AM »
It comes from a military background. I call them weapons all the time, due to my training. If one ever referred to a military weapon as a "gun" , that one was disciplined immediately. Remember Full Metal Jacket? "This is my weapon, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this one's for fun". That's not just movie BS. If you've ever had to sleep, eat, and live with a weapon; or played sandbag games because you called your weapon a gun, then you know what I mean.
If you hear someone calling their rifle, gun, pistol... a weapon; then consider their background. You might want to thank them.

Offline gamo2hammerli

Re: A Term Used That Really Bugs Me
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 06:45:51 AM »
In my city....even a slingshot is called a weapon.  :o(
Gamo: Expotec .177 + Big Cat .177 + Viper .177 + Whisper .177, Hammerli Titan .177, Diana model 24 .177, RWS-Diana P5 Magnum pistol .177, Crosman: G1 Extreme .177 + Storm XT .177 + Sierra Pro .177 + 1377 pistol .177, Air Arms S410SL .22, BSA Scorpion T10 .22, FX Cyclone .177, Remington Air Master 77 .177 + BB\'s,

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 11:03:47 AM »
Yes Mike I can understand where you are coming from and I do appreciate your training and background. I hope you aren't mistaking my post for disrespect of anyone's service. However, Gamo2hammerli's reply above, proves my point.  It would be nice if the shooting community could get away from the negative connotations surrounding guns/weapons, when refering to sporting guns and pursuits. Especially something like  BBguns, used for target shooting and small game.

Offline TexasShooter72

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 11:22:04 AM »
It tends to furl-up my butt fur when I hear pellet guns being called "BB GUNS".  So in an odd sort of way I can relate.  Be them slingshots, potato cannons, bb guns, pellet guns, bows/crossbows, water-weenies, nail guns....    bottom line;  is that anything that fires a projectile can be considered a weapon.  Guns are guns, yes.  BUT if you've ever watched CSI or NCIS or have worked in the courts system you know very good and well that there are left-wingers out there who can "term" a weapon out of anything.  Now, this is not exclusive to the left-wingers either!

ANY projectile-firing mechanism that can hurt or kill anything can be considered a "weapon".

EVEN A PEA-SHOOTER!
David Slade Tuned, Theoben Gas Ram BSA Super Sport XL .177
David Slade Tuned, Theoben Gas Ram BSA Lightning XL .22
CDT Tuned Gamo Hunter Elite .177
Big Gene Tuned, Ed(Shadow)Chocolate Chip Camo Gamo Shadow 1000 .177

Offline ronbeaux

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 11:47:49 AM »
I'm hearing ya! I used to hate when people asked me if I was still shooting those "BB" guns. I would cringe knowing that my NJR100 short action tuned by Joe Corik was not a D******** "BB" gun!

Offline Bhawanna

• http://airgunrecon.com
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 11:52:15 AM »
i kinda disagree with you a little bit on the "weapon" thing.  it only takes 4 fpe to penetrate human flesh.  some of these guns are capable to producing 24+ fpe.  people have actually been shot with them and died.  a head shot on a human at 20 yards with a magnum airgun would put them in the intensive care unit.  should the pellet enter the chest cavity with that force, it could sever arteries, puncher a lung, or even stop the heart.  i am not trying to be argumentive but just wanted to shed some light on the power of some airguns available.
The hardest part of getting old is trying to look good naked!

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 12:09:10 PM »
I have noticed that they are referred to as BB guns by others on this forum, and they are not chastized?  I  find it curious that , that would offend you as much as the term weapon as applied to sporting guns on an airgun forum, does me?

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 12:22:36 PM »
By the way, Websters dictionary defines a weapon  as: an instrument or device used to attack another , or defend oneself from attack. Or the means employed to  overcome,persuade, or get the better of another. I don't think ,I hope no one thinks, that when we refer to sporting guns on an air gun forum , that is what we intend. Unless of course we are refering to convincing a squirrel to come to supper.

Offline Timmyj1959@yahoo.com

• http://dragonslayer
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 03:11:33 PM »
Gots me a 300 plus ft. lb. "BB Gun" Guess it is considerd a "Weapon"?? (Only an idiot would consider it less) Airguns go WAY beond what most people comprehend. Would be nice to keep it that way?? Kinda fun slingin 3-500 GRAIN pellets into 1/2plate steel turnin em into "snow flakes"?? You Betcha!! 14.3 gr. CP,s?? How bout 330 gr.???? FUUUUUUUUUNNNNN stuff!! Can Ya say "Splatter"?? Did I say this out loud?? Geezze;;;;;;;;;;;; Tim.

Offline Jaymo

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 03:51:34 PM »
The word polymer bugs the hell out of me. It's extremely overused by people who don't have a CLUE what it means. Folks seem to think that polymer is a material, when polymer really just describes a property of MANY vastly different materials. Plastic would be more correct. Thermoset or thermoplastic, even more correct, depending on the particular plastic. Even plastic is more of a property descriptive than a correct name.
I fault Gaston Glock. He played on the American public's vast ignorance of anything vaguely technical and their susceptibility to marketing BS.  He said once that his guns weren't plastic, that was for cheap $200.00 guns. His guns were POLYMER. Direct, intentional deception. And the American public are too ignorant to know and too gullible to question it.

Another one is people referring to a magazine as a "clip".  A magazine is a feeding device that contains a spring and a follower.
A clip is nothing more than what it's name implies, a sheet metal clip that merely holds rounds together for loading into a magazine(stripper clip, or more correctly a charger) And an en bloc clip as used in Carcanos, Mannlichers, M1 Garands ( pronounced gare-und, NOT guh-rand)
Popular usage does not make it correct.

There are a lot of words that have been buggered up that just twist my nipples.
15th Battalion, Mississippi Sharpshooters, CSA.

Il buono, il cattivo, ed il brutto.

\"Mmm, bacon.\"
\"Squirrel.\"
\"Mmm, squirrel.\"

Offline Jaymo

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 03:54:40 PM »
Timmy, which big bore air gun do you have?
15th Battalion, Mississippi Sharpshooters, CSA.

Il buono, il cattivo, ed il brutto.

\"Mmm, bacon.\"
\"Squirrel.\"
\"Mmm, squirrel.\"

Offline DanoInTx

• http://airgunartisans.com
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 06:49:28 PM »
One term that really bugs me "grease monkey", I am neither a monky nor made of grease, I'm a "MECHANIC".  Haha, what was this thread about again?  BTW, I believe the direct translation for the term used in Germany to describe an airgun is "air weapon"...dang whole country of people using an un-politically correct term, what is this world coming to....sheesh!

p.s. Hope no-one takes me seriously and gets upset, that would be "unfortunate", another word that really bugs me, why can't everyone just say "sucky"?
Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 12:45:44 AM »
Got you thinking now.Actually, the misuse of the word weapon IS  now politicaly correct when describing any projectile launcher. Those that would ban our guns are totally ignorant of their legitimate use,and as was mentioned  above ,don't care. They have brain washed just about everyone. Guns=weapon (correct military term)=something that is only used to hurt cause pain or kill.  Your observation of the German  use of the term "air weapon" to describe an air gun, confrims this. We are becoming what the rest of the world is, and that is unfortunate.

Offline gamo2hammerli

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 03:31:30 AM »
A few years ago....some kinergarden kid used his carrot and pointed it at his classmate during lunch like a handgun.  He was disciplined and send home for a couple of days for pointing a "weapon".   A little off topic....I know...
Gamo: Expotec .177 + Big Cat .177 + Viper .177 + Whisper .177, Hammerli Titan .177, Diana model 24 .177, RWS-Diana P5 Magnum pistol .177, Crosman: G1 Extreme .177 + Storm XT .177 + Sierra Pro .177 + 1377 pistol .177, Air Arms S410SL .22, BSA Scorpion T10 .22, FX Cyclone .177, Remington Air Master 77 .177 + BB\'s,