Author Topic: TF59 Contender series Review  (Read 3454 times)

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
TF59 Contender series Review
« on: January 16, 2009, 08:34:17 AM »
After putting a tin of CPHP's through the TF59 it was time to sit down and give my take on her. This review is also based on the tuned 59 from Gene of "Airgun Toyz-n- Tunes and will include the results of his tune. Let's start off with appearance, the blueing on the action and barrel is not bad considering it's a CHINA shooter. The action area has a solid even finish and on the barrel I noticed a couple lghter shades of blueing but nothing that stands out. The stock on the other hand is in great condition with nice lines with A great grain and stain finish, very pleasing to the eye. Now it was time to mount and zero in a scope to see how the 59 performs, a 4x32AO Centerpoint was mounted with a one piece mount and Loctite setting up. Time to run the 59 through her paces and here's where Genes tune comes into play. Cocking: as always with Genes tuned airguns and I own a few there is no cocking noise other then the breech opening and the lockup of the piston which is more like a "click". :) The smooth flow from breech opening to pulling back to cock is very smooth with no spring sound, very fluid with little resistance. I did notice that there is a short cocking distance on the 59 which surprised me since I'm used to a longer pull to achieve lockup, another nice addition. Ready to shoot: first the safety on the 59 is in front of the trigger and engages when cocked, pushing it forward away from the trigger releases it. The stock trigger on this 59 has been removed and replaced with the one and only Golden trigger and Gene had performed mod's to it to allow it to work in the 59. Pellet loaded, safety off I locked onto my target at 20yrds and began a slow trigger pull since I didn't know where it would break, the pull on the trigger was short and sweet. It has a shorter pull between first and second stage then when installed into the standard Gamo or compatible airgun. The trigger still had a light and pleasing pull so with that figured out I shot the first round. "PAP" was the only sound made as the CPHP hit the target, very surprised again. Again no noticeable recoil, no internal action sound with just a solid muffled thunk. It's almost like the 59 is under powered by the sound but the chrony numbers showed me that the 59 was tuned to perform smoothly and remember the 59 is a mid range airgun. Chrony numbers average, CPHP-712, Predator -670 and Tomahawk- 700. I will be testing more but I was pleased with the result's. Accuracy: I do understand that this airgun has a fresh tune with a barrel to be seasoned but I still noticed a wider grouping then I require to take critters like I do. On inspection of the muzzle I found a possible problem, no crown so out to the shop and within a half a hour I had a good crown. I cleaned the muzzle up, pulled the swab from the barrel and was back in testing. After ten shot's I knew that I had fixed the problem, the CPHP's were eating up the bullseye. :) Within two days I ran through a tin of pellet's and the accuracy and 59 just kept getting better and better but I also noticed that it is hold sensitive as far as if you move her a hair and she doesn't like it she will let you know with shot placement. I atlast got the trigger and hold down and  then realized that I was beating a half a inch size hole in the pellet trap which told me two thing's, she's accurate as heck and I need to upgrade the ol pellet trap. :o  :) The only dislike of the 59 was the poor craftsmanship of the muzzlebreak and I took time to listen to the cocking and firing sequences of the 59, I cannot find a flaw with the tuned 59 from Gene. The tune is everything expected out of a tune and more and I'm just amazed how quite the tune has made the TF59 let alone the smoothness of how it performs when shot. Gene of "Airgun Tunez-n-Toyz" has once again outdid himself with his magic wand, thumbs up for Gene and his skills.  8) Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

Offline RCnMo

• http://
Re: TF59 Contender series Review
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 08:50:42 AM »
Nice review.
CFX .177, RWS 34 Panther .177, B26 .177, B30 .177, B40 .177, Crosman Quest .177(gave it to my brother),Crosman G1 .177, B3 .177, B2 .177, QB 78 .177, TF89 .22, Crosman 1377, P17

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 10:22:38 AM »
For sure the TF-59 is not nearly the quality of the B-26 Chinese air rifles. But I did want to do some experimenting with piston and spring along with the seal, spring guide etc..:) It was a fun project and for the most part the tune made quiet a difference in overall accuracy, cocking and shooting cycle. Like Ed said it is very quiet to operate and not that hard to cock. That was all I wanted was a moderate shooter that was easy to shoot and quiet. I think the reason it is hold sensitive is because of it being light weight. It weighs in around 7lbs and is only 43" long with a barrel length of 17 3/4".

On a final note. The velocity that Ed tested is very low at the moment, but once the delrin sleeves, spring guide and new poly seal seats I would imagine it will increase the velocity by a min. of 30fps. So you would be looking at around 750 fps with a JSB pellet at 8.3grn/.

Shoot that baby Ed and enjoy..:)
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline shadow

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 10:35:40 AM »
Yes as Gene mentioned and I didn't include in my review was that weight, very lite and the FPS#'s will rise but I'm super pleased with the starting #'s and this will make a small varmint get in the brush hunter or a great paper puncher and backyard Safari's. :) Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

Offline longislandhunter

• http://
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 12:02:01 PM »
Nice review buddy,,,,

sounds like it's gonna be a great backyard hunter.  I think it's a nice lookin rifle.....

Jeff
\"If it was easy it wouldn\'t be hunting, it would be shopping.\"

Offline shadow

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 12:21:31 PM »
She's just a pleasure to hold and shoot Jeff and when this mind numbing cold weather passes I can get back out to take her for a hunt. :) Ed