Author Topic: $86.54 2300  (Read 4136 times)

Offline ribbonstone

• http://
$86.54 2300
« on: December 27, 2006, 11:31:19 AM »
Well...that's how the bottom tube is marked (2300).  Neat thing about that is that the markings aren't stamped into the metal.  One of the basic Crosman custom shop guns.  14" barrel, long steel breech, muzzle brake, trigger show, and shoulder stock.  Being without any crosman parts, figured buying a stock gun and then replacing various parts and adding custom parts would be fun....but not cost effective and it was intended as a gift.

Original intent was to give this one as a gift...but Crosman takes awhile to put them together (ordered 12/3...arrived 12/27) and I ended up ordering a QB...recieving it...cleaning it...adjusting a few things...mounting a scope..sighting it in...and giving that as the gift, leaving me with the Crosman.  

This is a simple gun...intend to spend my time and effort in internal modifications (if it needs any...have to get a base line test first).  Out of the box the gun checked out fine.  BTW: they seem to choose a random 2250 box, bubble wrap the rifle, fold ithe box together INSIDE OUT (so plain brown cardboard shows on the outside, the slick advertizing part is on the inside), add some stickers, and ship it inside a larger shipping box.

Breech is straight and level on the bottom tube...screws tight...seals good...no shipping dents/dings/or buggers.  Crosman steel breach is very well machined..crisp edges,  nicely done grooving...is as nice as many of the custom breeches (bolt does have a little wobble, but locks up tight and seals just fine.

As it is my gun now, decided to use a red-dot.  Rough sighted it in just beore sun-down, will get some chronograph readings and better accuracy testing done this week.  Trigger was good out of the box...a little creep, but liveable as issued.  Might get ino taht a few thousnad cycles down the road; belive in letting the trigger wear a bit before deciding to "fix" it.  Not sure what the muzzle brake does besides look good.

So far, it's a good $86....the QB was only $66 (Archer had a sale this season..and I didn't cheap-out on the gift, he got much more expensive scope than originally planned)...got to say, the QB is a devil of a lot of gun for the $ and certainly made the new owner happy...hoping this one tests well and does the same for me.
Robert

Offline DanoInTx

• http://airgunartisans.com
Re: $86.54 2300
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 03:58:09 PM »
I have a few variants of this as well as a couple QB's, I like both equally for different reasons.  My 2300 came boxed just like you described, 2250XT box folded inside out with a sticker on the outside...maybe they mis-printed a few thousand boxes and had to get rid of them somehow?  My 2300 out of the box with a BSA red dot installed was a one ragged holer at 10 yards rested, very accurate.  The biggest problem I had and have with all of the 22XX series guns is the trigger.  When you get inside the gun you'll notice how simple the whole operation is, but you'll also notice how loosely everything fits together.  There IS however alot that can be done at a minimal cost to greatly improve the trigger.  Space up all loose fitting pieces, polish all contact points, dab a little moly here and there, and replace the trigger spring with something lighter, but possibly a bit longer so that it's light, but still pushes the sear completely into the hammer for engagement.  You have to be careful here with the trigger spring, you CAN go too light and make a dangerous trigger.  Always work on this with the gun unloaded, no CO2 (I leave my CO2 cap OFF the gun so there is no mistakes here).  The trigger works exactly the same with or without gas, so it makes it alot safer to handle and mod this way.  Once you think you've gotten the trigger improved to your satisfaction, or at least "as good as it will ever be", then you will want to cock and drop test the gun a few times to make sure it wont discharge accidently.  I know, you probably don't want to drop your nice new gun on the ground, so drop it on a sheet of hard plywood or something similar that wont hurt the finish.  AGAIN, safety here, don't do any drop checks with gas and a pellet...duh, sorry have to say it before someone shoots their eye out:)

These guns and the QB's look alot like the same sort of machine, but they are completely different animals, although some of the valve mods still pertain to both.  My Mike Melick tuned AR2078 (Match QB variant) shoots in the 700fps range in .22.  My recently homebuilt 22XX pistol seen here:
http://www.gatewaytoairguns.com/airguns/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1508&mid=8191#M8191
hasn't been chronied yet, but it stuffs a .22 pellet all of the way through a sheet of 3/8" plywood and still has enough power to dent my garage door...duh me again:)  I'm guessing it's going around the same 700+ fps, but I only get maybe 10 shots from a powerlet.  These are really cool guns out of the box and pretty reliable....and if you love to tinker, these things are awsome!

A pic of my two QB's and what used to be my 2300 pistol (disolved into 3 other guns..hehe).
Dan
Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

Offline ribbonstone

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 11:11:27 PM »
Will get tested as is first, then decide what needs to be done.  

Know for sure that I'd not have ordered one with a muzzle brake for myown use, so that will come off and I'll lathe a differnt type of attachement.  Other than that, suspect it's vel. level might be about right for the jobs I have in the back yard.
Robert

Offline DanoInTx

• http://airgunartisans.com
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 04:49:37 AM »
They are for sure a great gun at that price, I really like all of my Crosmans, just gotta keep my hands outa them for long enough to enjoy shooting them....but hey, taking them apart is what I enjoy most anyways:)

Dan
Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

Offline ribbonstone

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 09:49:10 AM »
Tested it today geting it really sighted in.  Trigger is pretty good...I'll let it wear in for a few 1000 rounds before deciding if it needs anything done to it.

Abandoned the BSA Red Dot...darn near ran out of adjustments....but slipping a 4X scope on, and it ends up nearly in the middle of the adjustment range.  Going to have to look at that RedDot.

Only had 18yards for testing...but it shot well.  Temp in the low 60's...averaged 515fps with the 14.3gr. pellets used (will test others later).  Will gain a bit in "normal" temps.

Might just keep it the way it is for the time being.

-----
So far as I know, this is the legal way to quiet the crack of an airgun when forced into testing in a populated area.

Had a 20" long box ( about 6X by 10").  Cut the ends off to amke a tube...warpped soft fabric  around the INSIDE of the box...line it up between the bench and the target...insert muzzle when firing.  It is NOT attached to the gun. so legal issues should be avoided.

But to keep the neighbors "happy" fired up the lawn mower as covering noise.
Robert