Author Topic: Gamo Whisper CSI...a problematic review.  (Read 9652 times)

Offline Viper

• http://
Gamo Whisper CSI...a problematic review.
« on: February 04, 2009, 05:14:51 AM »

Gamo Whisper Real Tree CSI W/Venturi Gas Spring-

I already had a Gamo Viper .177 with a Leapers 3-9x40 scope enhanced with the addition of the GTR III trigger mod. I really like the combination and I'm sure as soon as I send it off to Gene, the end result will be even better. But, since the Viper has no hard sites I decided it was time to shop. I found a great deal on a Gamo Whisper CSI in .22 cal with a gas spring installed. I received the gun, and all it's spare parts and was surprised how much lighter it was then the Viper. The sites are tru-glo and it was just what the doctor ordered.
We all know about the stock triggers so I won't repeat what we already know. I was surprised as to how stiff the safety is. I'm used to being able to flick the safety on my Viper subtly without much effort. The Whisper however is a different story. Perhaps when I replace the trigger, I'll be able to rectify the issue.
I started breaking it with some Gamo Match pellets that I had and noticed that the front site was slightly out of alignment. Not a lot, but enough to be able to see just a hair more of one side of the site than the other. Naturally, the site problems don't end there. After the 10th shot, I noticed the pellets starting going back and forth all over the target. The rear site had come loose. SO, I backed the elevation screw all the way out which allowed access to the mount screw. What I found here just urks me to no end. A single sheet metal screw is all that holds the base of the rear site. A sheet metal screw? Are you kidding me? It amazes me that the gun by in large, is of very high quality, then I find a sheet metal screw holding on the one thing that can make or break the accuracy of the gun. Why would a company rest it's reputation on something like that is beyond comprehension! I took the gun to the bench and removed the rear site and put a drop of med CA glue in the mount hole and carefully reattached the site mount, placed the site spring and elevation screw back in and away we go. So up to this point, I have a stiff safety, a glued rear site, and a someone not-perfectly-straight front site (which I have tweaked and is much better.)
So, now back to the shooting. After about 40 rds., target impact point started to rise again. This time, the elevation screw de-tent, doesn't seem to be enough to hold the elevation screw during shooting. The vibration makes the screw creep ever to often. I think I can fix this as well but again, I would have hoped for a little better quality.
As I started to shoot again, keeping an eye on the elevation screw, I put about 10 rounds into a quarter size space at 10M. Then, the pellets started to get really erratic and I noticed that after one shot, the front of the muzzle had been...SHOT OFF! It seems that at some point, a pellet either went a little sideways or the internal part of the muzzle break failed and took off the front and some of the inside of the muzzle break. When I shook the gun, you could hear some small plastic parts rattling around. SO I took the gun, with the muzzle pointed the ground, safety on, and nothing loaded, I shook the gun to get the little plastic pieces out of the break. I was successful. With the front face of the muzzle break in my pocket, I shot some more. What can I say, I like to shoot. After about a hundred rounds, It seems like my new whisper has settled down, and most of the bugs are at rest.
The gas spring. I love it. I don't know yet if the gas spring is “better” then a regular spring at this point, so I think I'll reserve that part of my observations for a later date. I will say this, the twang and double recoil is missing, but a new single...harder..”thump”...has replaced it. It seems to be steadier than a springer during follow through, though I wonder if in the long haul the vibration may be harder on the sites and other parts of the gun. Only time will tell. For now I give the gun 4.0 stars out of 5 overall.

I think government is a necessary evil, like, say, motion-picture agents.
- John Wayne

Gamo Viper W/Leapers 3-9X40, GTR III, soundproofed stock. Need Turbo-Tune:(

Offline RedFeather

RE: Gamo Whisper CSI...a problematic review.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 06:08:05 AM »
Sprry to hear about your problems.  I'm assuming you bought the gun used, since you got the guts along with it.  (Or was it a PyraMydAir conversion?  Do they give you the stock parts, too?)  Did you get a good look at the muzzle brake before shooting it?  Maybe it got damaged in shipping or handling?  All it would take is a hard rap on the end to crack it.  That might account for your front sight and the internal baffle coming out of line. Could have happened when the gas ram was installed if the gun was braced against the muzzle instead of the compression tube.  Either way, I would be talking to whoever sold it to me.

Offline Viper

RE: Gamo Whisper CSI...a problematic review.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 06:24:19 AM »
RedFeather - 2/4/2009  2:08 PM

Sprry to hear about your problems.  I'm assuming you bought the gun used, since you got the guts along with it.  (Or was it a PyraMydAir conversion?  Do they give you the stock parts, too?)  Did you get a good look at the muzzle brake before shooting it?  Maybe it got damaged in shipping or handling?  All it would take is a hard rap on the end to crack it.  That might account for your front sight and the internal baffle coming out of line. Could have happened when the gas ram was installed if the gun was braced against the muzzle instead of the compression tube.  Either way, I would be talking to whoever sold it to me.

All good points. Once I saw the site was off a bit, I took a better look at the gun and did not notice any cracks. I did by it new with the conversion kit but I don't think PyraMyd had anything to do with the issues. If you could see the front site, you would see that it was the actual installation that was off, not because of any outside force. If there was a way to remove it, then re-install it, I woul dbe game to give it a try but I think it might be glued in place.
- John Wayne

Offline gamo2hammerli

Re: Gamo Whisper CSI...a problematic review.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 10:58:46 AM »
Good initial review on your new Whiper CSI.....didn't even know there was a CSI designation.  Those Gamo and Crosman rear sights are pretty flimsy.  Too bad you had a problem with it's moderator.....does it still keep the "pop" noise down?
Gamo: Expotec .177 + Big Cat .177 + Viper .177 + Whisper .177, Hammerli Titan .177, Diana model 24 .177, RWS-Diana P5 Magnum pistol .177, Crosman: G1 Extreme .177 + Storm XT .177 + Sierra Pro .177 + 1377 pistol .177, Air Arms S410SL .22, BSA Scorpion T10 .22, FX Cyclone .177, Remington Air Master 77 .177 + BB\'s,

Offline RedFeather

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 12:15:26 PM »
Put your guts back in and send it back.  There's no way that baffle should have failed like that.  Sorry about all your hard work but think of it this way.  It will make installing the kit easier on the next one.  You really should return that gun.  And not to Gamo.

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 01:04:17 PM »
Ya, I agree with Red.. Send it back for exchange or repair.
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline Viper

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 12:53:22 AM »
gamo2hammerli - 2/4/2009  6:58 PM

Good initial review on your new Whiper CSI.....didn't even know there was a CSI designation.  Those Gamo and Crosman rear sights are pretty flimsy.  Too bad you had a problem with it's moderator.....does it still keep the "pop" noise down?

Yes, it's still quiet. At least more so than my Viper. The recoil from the spring is gone....or I shoul dsay, it's different. Has anyone ever tried to upgrade the sites on these?
- John Wayne

Offline Viper

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 12:56:15 AM »
Gene_SC - 2/4/2009  9:04 PM

Ya, I agree with Red.. Send it back for exchange or repair.

I'm going to e-mail them today and see what they say. Further investigation reveals that the end of the muzzle break was broken because a pellet hit it on the way exiting the muzzle. SO, it either caught something or the pellet wobbled on exit.
- John Wayne

Offline Viper

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 11:31:50 AM »
Gun will be going back Monday. Pyramid Air was extremely helpful with outstanding customer service via phone and quick dispatch of a shipping label. I will re-attempt a new review on the replacement gun but only after I have had a chance to replace the trigger.
- John Wayne