Author Topic: Why I carry a gun  (Read 7869 times)

Offline VINNY

• http://
Re: Why I carry a gun
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2009, 05:33:46 PM »
A lot of very good comments and points brought up here. I too dont know how I would react.I wouldnt consiously plan on shooting at a guy running that threatened my wife or me, bit in all the excitement, if I did and I hit him, well, HE shouldnt have put us in that situation. Heck, I may take off running like a little girl, I dont know, But the person that causes a situation like that deserves what he gets. I personally dont mind hearing on the news about "this gang member shot that gang member last night...". One less a. h. to hurt someone that matters. File it under DSAF.  [ did society a favor ].  I dont mean to offend anybody, thats just how I feel. They should bring back Wanted -dead or alive posters and hang em up all over.
Daisy-Red Ryder,2-15XT pistols,Powerline 1200 pistol/Crosman-Quest 1000,Powermaster 66, 1377 pistol,Pumpmaster 760, 1077 AS/Gamo-Big Cat,Viper Express,CFX in.177,CFX-.22 [Finally!!] Varmint Hunter / 1971 Benjamin 132/ 4 Cummins b-3\'s./ Walther -Falcon hunter .22, Force 1000-.177/Baikal- MP512M-.22/ Winchester -800x-.177/Baretta-92FS,EliteII/Hammerli- 490 Express

Offline brokenarrowjbe

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2009, 11:25:14 PM »
If you follow the post you will see I have several dogs, a fence, I am often on call and have to wake up and go to work for emergencies. I don't want you to think badly of me, but shooting someone who has entered my house after facing the fence, the dogs, etc will not be, for me, a hard decision. They may die, after all getting shot is dangerous, they may not. They will not harm me or my wife and to get past the german shepherd they will have to have all ready done damage to a valued member of my household, maybe two as one of my labs is not to friendly to males other than me. I am sure many people are ambivalent about whether to shoot, I am not. come into my house uninvited and the results will be predictable. One of us is going to get shot. John
Chance favors the well prepared

Offline brokenarrowjbe

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2009, 07:50:59 AM »
Chance favors the well prepared

Offline whipperwilly

• GTA Donations
RE: Why I carry a gun
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2009, 01:44:10 PM »
Up here in Canada where I'm at....a call to 911 will take a minimum of 20 minutes and MORE LIKE 40 minutes untill they get to my farm...
Hmmmm....better not shoot yourself in the foot....could be fatal.

whipperwilly,
Alberta, Canada

Offline Schmidty25

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2009, 04:37:00 PM »
Yea I think that is very truthfull!  Another reason to Carry a Gun is Wild Animals, Like Bears, Cougars, etc in some areas of the Country!!!
Crossman G1 Extreme
Crossman Powermaster model 66
Crossman 1377C-R
Ruger AirHawk

Offline TCups

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2009, 11:08:22 PM »
In the most general sense, "why I carry a gun" is a philosophical statement.  We, as a civil society, have come the point where we expect a lot of things to be provided to us by our government: security and personal protection, medical care, retirement benefits, etc.  As our society becomes demonstrably less "civil", less moral, infiltrated by illegal immigrants who are "outside" of any American law, especially in the southwest and larger cities, and the whole mix is stirred by financial stress from an economy that is tanking, the likelihood of an encounter with a violent or potentially violent criminal escalates.

The sad truth is that even though we may have some of the most dedicated, honest, brave and committed law enforcement civil servants, the task at hand is daunting and crime is on the rise.  Our courts, prison systems and law enforcement agencies are being overwhelmed. To reasonably expect nearly instant response from law enforcement, or absolutely safety in all public situations is as naive as the notion that your medical care and retirement needs will be provided by the state. The mechanisms and institutions are in place, yes, in theory, but they can never entirely cope with the task at hand.

A lawless society is a frightening thought.  But to the extent the American citizen has become entirely content to rely on someone else, some state institution, to always protect them, as a substitute for upholding a personal code of ethical and moral behavior and self-reliance as our first line of defense against a lawless society, to that extent we place ourselves at risk.  

Teach your children well.  Understand that the Constitutional right to bear arms is meant to facilitate self-reliance in protecting yourself, your family, your property, and your country, if needed.  But it comes with the Constitutional understanding that we are a God-fearing nation of laws and personal responsibilities.  Those laws are both "Natural", endowed by our creator -- life, liberty, pursuit of happiness, and derived by our legal system and government by and to the extent that we, as individual citizens, entrust that power to our government.  Support law enforcement, obey the laws, but always be ready to protect yourself and others in a lawful and prudent manner, if that is what is required.  But never surrender or abdicate your own personal responsibilities and self-reliance, or else you voluntarily assume the role of the victim, and the victim mentality.

Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition.

Offline imadogman

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2009, 12:31:42 PM »

Well said Tommy! You and I and Ted Nugent share this philosophy....I wish more Americans did. We would have less crime, and we would be a bit tougher on the problems that face our country. If it continues down the path that it is on, who knows what the new owners will do. Maybe when push comes to shove, people will once again become "We the People"...instead of "We the Sheeple".

\"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice\"

\"Sailing through life at the speed of Dark\"

Offline MEHavey

Whatever you do.....
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2009, 02:28:46 PM »

1. NEVER shoot unless you can explain to 12 people why you reasonably/actually feared for your life or that of another.

2. NEVER shoot once the bad guy is reteating/running unless you fear he is running to threaten another. Then Rule#1 applies again.

3. NEVER shoot in defense of property, even if the guy is stealing your car. Carjacking-in-progress may be the only exception, then #1 and #2 apply again.

4. ALWAYS retreat if possible unless retreat exposes another to harm.  Then #1 and #2 apply.

5. The only property you MAY defend -- and not have to retreat -- is from inside your home or business. Even then, #1 and #2 apply again.

6. Exception tests the rule: Man stands in your front yard starting to throw a firebomb. #1, #4 , and #5 are satisfied.