Author Topic: Crosman G1 Extreme  (Read 7008 times)

Offline tjk

• http://
Crosman G1 Extreme
« on: April 12, 2009, 03:07:17 AM »

Howdy Folks! I thought I'd give my opinion on this rifle after shooting it for a few weeks. As some of you know, I bought this rifle at a pawn shop for about $80. The stock screws were loose, and that's about all that was wrong with it. The G1 had a very smooth factory cocking cycle leading me to believe it had been well broken in by the previous owner,...but in retro-spect, I'm really not sure if that statement was very accurate?!?!?! When I ran it through a chroney, it was in the 869-877 fps range so I'm satisfied that things inside the action are huncky-dory. Initially, I started shooting Beeman Cro-Mag's through it and was getting some light to moderate dieselling. Leading me to believe it was still not as broken in as much asI thought.So I ran a few dry patches and sure enough, we had some residual lubes still working their way though the system. The next shot really dieselled something awful,....but that settled down in no time at all. Now this particular rifle had some very healthy droop to it,...and again, the previous owner had the scope set-up totally backwards. Even had the front of the scope shimmed up,....no wonder they couldn't get it to shoot in the ball-park!!!!! I stipped everything off and started from scratch. The mount was at first placed on backwards, and I believe they tried to use the scope stop pin as an elevation adjustment. I re set the mount and re-centered the scope rets, and proceeded to see where we stood. Ended up shimming the rear of the scope a good 1/16" to keep the rets optically centered. Now that the scope was set correctly, I was able to hit nickel sized groups off-hand at ten yards. But the scope has taken some time to get used to (Crosman 3-9X32AO model,...smaller than my other Cros/CP's).

Now that we have the gun set up correctly, I'd like to share my thoughts of the gun in an over all approach. Starting with the synthetic stock. Although it's heavier than a Gamo Big-Cat,..to me it has a more solid feel to it, and I think this is the reason that it isn't nearly as "Buzzy" as the Gamo BC. With the BC having a hollow buttstock, in comparison, the G1 is hollow but also has structural ribs running through it's length. Perhaps this plays a role in the firing cycle not being as harsh as the BC in its factorystock form. Breaking the barrel is very smooth for a stock rifle,...and a pleasent surprise as well. Barrel lock up is very solid, and on-line with most of the quest varients I have shot before. The Biggest surprise though is the firing cycle.My rifle displays a very sharp crispfireing cycle with a minimum amount of spring buzz. Nothing compared to a Gamo Buzz.

As for accuracy and consistancy, I must have been very lucky on this 'draw'!!! LOL's After tinkering around with a few pellets and adjusting the glass. I'm able to spin spoons at 25 yards off-hand on a regular basiswithcleanned 8.6 DomedPeak pellets (Big thanks goes out to MM!!!!). To say we're 'beer-can' accurate at this distance is a big under-statement. We're working on paint balls now!!!!!!

What have I done with my G1 so far you may ask?,....well for starters, I did the best improvement anyone could do with this class and style of rifle,...I installed the GRT-III trigger. I also removed the stock and squeezed a few dabs of my"secret sticky stuff" into the linkage slot (spring)and factory spring guide. I also removed the barrel, dressed up the bushing washers and dabbed them with the same grease. Other than that, a drop of silicone on the roller-bearing, and the cocking linkage pivot points. And that's about it. In return for my time and effortvestedinto the G1, I've probably got the best 'un-tuned' rifle I've ever shot!!!!! Unless the spring snaps, I have no reason to mess with it at all. One can over come the spring buzz if they practice enough!!!! LOL's.It's much more enjoyable to shoot than the GamoBig-Cat I previously owned, and just as accurate,....if not a slight bit better. If I had my drothers, I'd opt for the G1 over the BC any day,......in stock form that is. Tuning these rifles is a whole different story altogether. I just use the GBC as a comparison because they are about as close an equivilently pairedrifles as you'll find price wise, class, andwith performance in mind. Both are excellent rifles,....especially if tuned. But for my money I'd still go with the heavier G1 off the shelf.

Of the few critiques I have of the G1, it would have to be the trigger guard integrated into the stock itself. Not too crazy about the long frontward slope of the guard because that's where I've found the 'sweet spot' to be, and it doesn't provide as comfortable and solida hold while resting on my palm.Personally I likean AR to sit across the meat part of my thumb on the palm. But that's just me I guess.

I think anyone interested in the G1 will be very surprized with this entry level shooter. Solid feeling,as easy to shoulder as aGamo Big-Cat, smooth cocking and fireing cycle, and a decent scope package if set up correctly!!!!!!

My disclaimer of course...... These are only my opinions and do not reflect those of the GTA as a whole. If I've made some Big-Cat fans out there angry,....I apologise. I am a big fan of the BC, and it is a very good rifle in its own right. Like I said earlier,....I just used it (the GBC)as a comparison rifle based on their similar traits.Respectfully, tjk

397 Benji-98\' model    
Marksman  0035, My Fav!,CDT T\'d
Crosman Sierra-Pro,.177
Benji 392 08\'
CDT TT\'d RWS 34 .22,CP 4-16X40 AO
MM T\'d Marksman 0035
Crosman G1 Extreme
Daisy PowerLine 1000
TF-97 .22
B-28A MM T\'d
B-28 OEM Tuned by me
Beeman .22 RX-2 w/Theoben GR
Beeman .177 R1 Santa Rosa

Offline longislandhunter

RE: Crosman G1 Extreme
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 05:56:20 AM »
Great review Thomas, I enjoyed it very much.

I have a G1-Extreme and I agree with everything you said.  

I think it has one of the best and most comfortable synthetic stocks I've run across.  Right from the box my G1 was nice and smooth to cock, had a good firing cycle, plenty of power and was deadly accurate.  It did have a little bit of a buzz but not much and nothin that bothered me.  Also, the 3x9x32 scope and the 1 piece mount that came with it are good and to this day I still have them on the rifle and they are both working just fine.   I agree with you, I think the G1-Extreme is a fine "bang for the buck" outa the box shooter you can get for the price.  

My G1 was bone stock up until last week when I did a full home tune on it.  I noticed the accuracy was starting to go south so I did some chrony testing and sure enough the FPS was down and getting erratic.  Pulled it apart and found the seal needed to be replaced, so while I was in there I decided to do a full tune.  I shot the heck out of that rifle so it didn't bother me that I needed a new seal.   The tune made the rifle even that much more sweet.  Lookin forward to doing some more serious pest hunting with it this summer at the duck farm...

JEff
\"If it was easy it wouldn\'t be hunting, it would be shopping.\"

Offline Schmidty25

Re: Crosman G1 Extreme
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 01:26:17 AM »
You pretty much nailed that review  TJK.  I love my G1 it's a very comfortable gun to shoot.  I get dime sized groups at 20 yds. off a rest.  It shoots very well for a $100 gun!  I am dreading the day it breaks.  I am going to EXPERIMENT LOL  and fix it if it ever does break.  so I'll be posting up pics and other NEWB questions haha...     Nice Review
Crossman G1 Extreme
Crossman Powermaster model 66
Crossman 1377C-R
Ruger AirHawk

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 02:06:50 AM »
Great review of the G1 Thomas and when I was looking to get one awhile back I spotted the TAC1 Extreme and grabbed it instead. :) Both have the same stocks and internals except for caliber. My TAC1 was great "out of box" but slowed down after many hunt's so I went through her and knew she had a bad piston seal. I gave her a tune including a new seal and she's one of my best critter getters. :) Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 02:19:09 AM »
Great take on the G-1 Thomas. These so called Gamo Clones can give you allot of enjoyment with a little TLC..:) Have fun buddy shooting them paint balls...
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline mackeralboy

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 02:59:43 PM »
From the sounds of it, the G1 might be a Quest in a synthetic stock.
Air Arms Prosport .22 cal
Beeman SS1000H .22 cal
Beeman P1 .20 cal
Benjamin Discovery .22 cal
BSA Lightning Tactical XL .22 cal
Crosman 1377 converted to .22 cal by Tim McMurry
Crosman Quest 800X .22 cal
Crosman Nitro .22 cal
Gamo 1250 .177 cal
Gamo 1250 .22 cal
Gamo Whisper .177 cal
Theoben Eliminator .25 cal
Walther Falcon Hunter .22 cal

Offline longislandhunter

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 07:46:53 AM »
Same power plant in both....

Jeff
\"If it was easy it wouldn\'t be hunting, it would be shopping.\"

Offline Schmidty25

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 02:59:15 PM »
So The Crossman... Phantom, G1, Quest, etc all have the exact same "power plant" so to speak...
Crossman G1 Extreme
Crossman Powermaster model 66
Crossman 1377C-R
Ruger AirHawk

Offline mackeralboy

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 04:50:35 PM »
You might as well add B19 to that list. And since the B19 is a Gamo clone.......
Air Arms Prosport .22 cal
Beeman SS1000H .22 cal
Beeman P1 .20 cal
Benjamin Discovery .22 cal
BSA Lightning Tactical XL .22 cal
Crosman 1377 converted to .22 cal by Tim McMurry
Crosman Quest 800X .22 cal
Crosman Nitro .22 cal
Gamo 1250 .177 cal
Gamo 1250 .22 cal
Gamo Whisper .177 cal
Theoben Eliminator .25 cal