Author Topic: shadow in .22  (Read 1850 times)

shadow in .22
« on: January 31, 2007, 01:07:15 AM »
I’m so excited. I just had to share this one someone. :p

I just received the shadow .22 that Vinceb wanted to trade (the trade was $$$) so he could play with something new in his AG workshop. :)

I scoped the gun with a 3-9x32 Golden Antler. It took 12 shot to zero it. Now it makes a hole smaller than a dime (7.4 mm c-t-c) in the paper at ten yards using Crosman Premier 14.3g. (Sorry I don’t have one of those picture taking thingys). I can’t wait to see what this gun will do after a couple of thousand shots.

I’m still testing pellets to see what the shadow .22 likes to eat. Due to the weather, range time has been hard to come by these past few weeks, but I think CP pellets are going to be one of the tops.

I would like some in-put on targets. :o I use a half inch bulls-eye at ten yards. What do most of you use? Also, what size bull do you use at 20 to 30 yards or at any other yardage. I know that the bull size has nothing to do with how the gun groups or how good I do my part, but just wondering what size bulls you guy like to shoot-at at different yardage.

Just love them shadows   :D
Glenn

Offline vinceb

• http://
Glad you like it....
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 01:22:55 AM »
Never fails. I sell a gun, the buyer really likes it, and next thing ya know I'm wondering if I ever shoulda sold it!

(sigh)

RE: Glad you like it....
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 02:10:52 AM »
To make you feel better Vince, I sat the gun on a bench rest and watched to see if it can hit the paper. Nope, hasn't done it yet. It just sits there. As a matter of fact, all my other guns just sit there also. I'm thinking I have 5 high dallor paper weights.

Again Vince, thank for the "trade" :)

Glenn

Offline daved

• http://
Targets
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 04:28:33 PM »
I tend to make up targets as the spirit moves me.  I have a fairly simple CAD program that I use.  My latest "invention" is something I call the offset target.  I generally sight my guns in at around 30 yards, but my indoor range is only 10 yards.  With a 30 yard zero, 10 yards will be about 1" low.  So I made a target with an aimpoint 1" above the bull.  It has the added advantage that I'm not shooting up my aim point.  That target has a 1/4" bull.  At 10 yards, my gas ram CFX regularly puts 5 shots inside that 1/4" bull.  For starters, this is a good link: http://www.arld1.com/images/swfs/targetspageof3ringadjustablesize.swf
I think you'll like this, it's very adjustable, but also very consistent.  Just remember to set your printer to landscape mode.  And on the subject of printing targets, I like to use card stock rather than regular paper.  Just seem to work better for me, pellets punch nice clean holes instead of tearing the paper.  HTH, and good luck.

Dave

RE: Targets
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 05:23:09 PM »
Thanks for the reply Daved. :)

I have used the link before. I also have a CAD program, but it's so old (DOS days) that it wouldn’t work with my printer now.

I have used a poa one inch above the bull for ten yard targets on sighting in. Something just feels wrong when you call it a bull-eye when your aiming one inch higher. My back yard is a steep bluff and to get ten yards without having to climb it, I sit inside the house with the back door open. The good thing is I have 2,200 acres of open pasture for a back stop. I have set up a 20 yard range that is diagonally across the yard, but only use it when the neighbors are at work. I don’t shoot into their yard, I just don’t want to scare them or stir up trouble. I do have 10 acres out in the country to shoot on for longer ranges, when I can get out to it and not have a bunch of work to do. LOL

Glenn

Re: shadow in .22
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 07:16:08 AM »
I always use a 1/2 inch bullseye for all ranges to 50 yards. It makes you try harder at longer ranges, and belive me it helps make you a better shooter.
Why settle for a bull on a 1" target when a 1/2 " hit is more rewarding and takes more consentration on the part of the shooter.