Author Topic: Need Help! Going nuts with new airgun purchase  (Read 4645 times)

Need Help! Going nuts with new airgun purchase
« on: February 04, 2007, 04:06:38 AM »
I have been driving myself crazy with my next purchase. I've been able to narrow it down to two air rifles that I feel I "need". It is going back and forth between the 1250 Hurricane which is only available in .177  but has the option of a barrel swap through Rich Peterdragon. My other choice is the Webley/Beeman Patriot/Kodiak both of which I can get in .177,.22,or .25. I found the UK made Webley with walnut in .22 and can get the Turkey made Webley in all three calibers with the plain stock. I have found the Beeman in .22 and .25 in plain stock form for the same price as the Webley in walnut. I don't want the .177 really and already got the .22 Rws 350. The Webley in walnut is stunning to look at, in the pictures anyway, and is a powerhouse, more so that the RWS I believe. It is a .22 which I already got. The Beeman is the same rifle as the Webley but comes in .25 for more money in plain stock form. I'm not even making any sense anymore, even to myself. Do I "need" the .25? It is for hunting but am not sure it will be a real advantage over the .22  inside of 50 yards. The Webley is not being made in the UK anymore and that is pushing me to get it. the Gamo is cheaper but will cost the same with the barrel swap. The Beeman is in the same boat as Webley but I can get it in .25  for 125 more that the Webley in plain form. Does anyone own a Patriot or Kodiak that can comment on them? Also, can you hunters out there tell me if the .25 would be better for hunting that the .22 for the relatively close range I would be shooting at if I use similar pellet weights. I know I am rambling on and on but I am only one click away from my purchase. I already got them  in the "cart" waiting for the plunge. Today is the day.......decisions. Airguns are infectious and I'm in ICU. Thanks for the info!!!

Offline DanoInTx

• http://airgunartisans.com
Re: Need Help! Going nuts with new airgun purchase
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 04:41:37 AM »
You said you had it narrowed down to 2 rifles, I count 8:)

Get the Kodiak in .25, I don't know why, just a gut feeling I think I'd like that one better....plus .25 cal pellets make a heck of a thump when they hit things.

Dan
Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

Offline daved

• http://
RE: Need Help! Going nuts with new airgun purchase
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 06:29:27 AM »
Hey, Jerry, I hate to be a pain, but I think you asked a really important question.  Do you really "need" a .25?  Yes, it will net you a few more ft. lbs., but at the cost of a loopy trajectory, and a limited selection of pellets.  Especially at ranges less than 50 yds. I just don't see any advantage over your 350.  With Predators, mine gets just under 25 fpe, and drops less than 2" at 50 yds.  Now, if it's a matter of a collectible rifle, I'd get one of the dwindling number of UK models, regardless of caliber.  But if you're looking for raw power, your real next step from the 350 is going to be a PCP.  More expensive, sure, but you can really dial up the fpe, if that's what you want.  

I've also heard the Patriot/Kodiak is a bear to cock and shoot, recoils even worse than the 350 for a very slight increase in power.  Also, have you really looked for reviews?  The one's I've seen were really mixed.  One site was all thumbs up, another thumbs down.  The latter was suggesting one of the Theoben rifles, I believe it was the Eliminator, as a much better choice.  At a higher price, I'm sure.  I hate to admit it, but I bought my 350 pretty much on power.  I did some research, and thought I knew what I was getting into.  But if I had it to do over, I don't think it's the rifle I'd buy today.  Yes, it's powerful and accurate, but it just isn't fun to shoot.  Compared to my CFX, it's just too much like work.  So you might also ask yourself, do you really like to shoot your 350?  If the answer isn't a pretty resounding YES I think I'd empty that cart and do some more shopping.  Just my opinion, for what it's worth, good luck, and keep us posted.

Dave

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 07:34:01 AM »
Yep, I gotta go with Dave on this. I owned a Kodiak in .25, and it is brutal to cock. Not only that, but the firing behavior    with a tune is not very pleasant. Without a tune, its horrendous! I don't think your really gaining much with the .25, when you consider the loopy trajectory at extended ranges. The heavier .25 pellets will hold energy better downrange, and will buck the wind pretty good, but you're trajectory is almost rainbow like at 50yds. From my experience,  a .22 can do anything a .25 can do in the hunting field. But you don't have to listen to my advise. If you want the .25 then get it. Remember, its all about what makes you happy.

Danny

Good info Dave....
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 07:44:18 AM »
I did see the mixed reviews on the Patriot, more positive than negative. Most of the negative reviews were from a few years back. Wonder if Webley had problems back then. PCP is still out of the question as far as what I really want. I don't want to do multiple PCP purchases, just one good one with everything I need at once. That makes it really up there price wise. The 350 is still "new" and I don't have to much time into it just yet. Its still to cold out. I am sort of interested in the collector status the Patriot might have if I get one of the last UK versions. The Turkey versions are already on the market. You gave me a little to chew on. I agree with you on the .25 caliber though. I wont do anything with it I cant accomplish with a .22.  By the end of the day today I will be either waiting on the delivery of a new 1250 or a new Patriot UK. Thanks for the info Dave,Dano and Dan.

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 07:49:08 AM »
No problem Fish. I'm interested in what you decide. Let us know, as I can't stand the suspense! LOL!

Danny

got the 1250 hurricane........
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 01:13:41 PM »
I decided on the Gamo 1250 hurricane. I already have a .22 cal and the Patriot was gonna be to much money for right now. After I get it I will then decide if I will be doing the conversion to .20. Does anyone know if this is the England made 1250?. I heard the Spain made ones were not quite as "nice". Now to wait for the brown truck.........

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 05:17:03 PM »
Here's a graph i picked up off I think it was Webley's web site on the power down range of the calibers, it's very intresting what they do given the starting fps.

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 10:56:40 PM »
Hey Jerry

The question really comes down to what you want to do with this big air gun. If you are big strong and healthy, then either one would be a good choice for shooting bigger game. Butttttttttttttttttt....:) Neither one are for target shooting or casual shooting. I own the Gamo Royal 1250 .22 and it was nice at first but cocking it was not so much fun. I am sure the other airgun you mentioned is just as hard.

My Gamo 1250 sits most of the time in the rack...:) You can do most of your target and game shooting with a none magnum air gun. Besides have you looked at the weight of either one of the airguns? With a scope my 1250 weighs over 10lbs. Not fun to lug around for a few hours..... hehe

These are some powerful guns, but unless you have money to burn then they would not make a good choice for your everyday shooter..:)

Just my opinion..:)

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline daved

• http://
RE: got the 1250 hurricane........
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 02:22:39 AM »
Congratulations!  Now it's time to start the arm curls so you can cock the beast :-)!  Don't know for sure, but I think the current models are all made in Spain.  Don't forget a review when it arrives.

Dave

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 03:26:59 AM »
Hey  Fish.. It will be stamped on the top somewhere if it is England or Spain. :) But I think Dave is correct and all are coming from Spain now... :)

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Just got screwed with a capitol "F"
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 10:21:01 AM »
Stinking Natchez won't ship me the air rifle and they canceled my order!!!!! I have ordered ammo and all kind of shooting related stuff from them in the past and now they say "No Way!" They won't ship anything of interest to me anymore. I just recently ordered my 350 from Midsouth without a hitch, now this. I'm still gonna get it, its just gonna cost me much more. I will update. Thanks for the info everyone.

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
RE: Just got screwed with a capitol "F"
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 10:26:12 AM »
Why? Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

RE: Just got screwed with a capitol "F"
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 10:33:51 AM »
Massachusetts laws are all screwed up and some places would simply rather not deal with the bull.

Anyone know of another source for the 1250 Hurricane?
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 10:35:46 AM »
Header says it all. I need another vender tonight. Thanks for any help