Author Topic: To all you QB Tuners  (Read 7516 times)

To all you QB Tuners
« on: February 05, 2007, 03:16:19 PM »
Hey guys, I've got a suggestion. How about one of you QB tuners offering a turned down bolt handle and a better machined breech (one thats contoured to fit the C02 tube better). I own one of the large knob brass bolts, but the way it sticks out is very unflattering. If a turned down bolt handle were offered I'd jump to get one and I bet alot of other QB owners would also. Same goes for the breech. It would be great to have a better fitting breech that maybe floated the barrel. This way the barrel band could be eliminated, and POI shifting would be greatly minimized.

Don't  think I don't appreciate the stuff that you guys do for the QB, quite the opposite. I feel you guys are the only ones good enough to handle this request. So how about it?

Danny

Offline DanoInTx

• http://airgunartisans.com
Re: To all you QB Tuners
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 01:57:16 PM »
Dannyboy, oh Dannyboy!!!!!!

I hate that song and I bet you do too:)

The cool thing about the QB78, and the different variants(I have an AR2078 also) is that although they aren't really all that polished and primed, they shoot really well regardless of the chunky machining...with exception to the barrel band, but you can find aftermarket bands too(RJMachine) and also there are 15mm metal bands available in stock form (archer airguns).  So they look all funky sometimes, and internally they definately benefit from a good tune, they are pretty good shooters without much aftermarket "pretty things" added.  I think a couple people have been working on .20 and .25 cal mods, and there's some NICE stocks out there, muzzle brakes are easy to find.  Archer sells a couple oversized bolt handle things, I just polished my stock handle...oh and then there's also that snazzy safety switch that Art at Artshack makes.  Obviously not as many things out there as there are for the Crosman 13XX and 22XX guns, but there's a few, and the other stuff imho just isn't worth messing with.  BTW, you can float the barrel as-is.

Dan

My Mike Melick tuned AR2078:

Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 04:34:44 PM »
Who is this Art at Art-shack you speak of, my QB master? LOL! No, really who is he? I looked in the mall but didn't see a link. I've got this twisted idea for a custom QB, but I don't know if it can be done. I'm thinking chrome plated everything (all the metal), leather covered stock fastened with brass finishing nails, adjustable butt-pad, shrouded or a nice MB on the barrel. A turned down, fancy chromed bolt handle. It would be kinda like a Harley tribute QB, get it? I know that the QB's are inexpensive guns (I own two), But look at yours- its fantastic! I've always been one to try to make a silk purse out of a sows ear, so this new QB idea might be the next stop. That is if its possible to do the things I'm thinking of.

Oh yeah, BTW,  I really hate that song! LOL!

Danny

Offline IJL

• http://www.qbtune.zoomshare.com
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 08:20:05 PM »
Hi Danny, We suply brass bolt handles for the QB on request, a couple of pics below. Is that what you meant?
Also I'm not sure if the alloy on the trigger case would take chrome but I reckon the rest would ok.

Sorry about the pics, my camera does not do macro.

Ian

Offline DanoInTx

• http://airgunartisans.com
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 11:44:38 AM »
My next door neighbor as a kid used to sing that everytime he saw me, I hated that song then, and still do today.  I think the only thing that bugs me more is when someone says,"Book 'em Dano" and giggles like it's the first time I've ever heard it before.

Anyways, enough of my hangups and hurt feelings.  The "QB Custom Cruiser", I can see it already.  Yuppems, can be done.  I think I'll build one too as I have been thinking of doing a "theme gun".  Hehe, so wrong, but sounds so cool all at the same time:)  

Tonight I think I'll bring the old QB out of its case and see what I have to work with.  I have lightly tuned mine, it's a .22 and think it shoots in the mid 600's with 14.3 grainers, it has an Arts Shack muzzle brake http://www.arts-shack.com/index.html and a polished bolt handle.  Other than that it's in stock form.  Not going to mess with the AR2078, it's "just right" as-is, although I would like to bulk it at some point.

You know as far as the chrome idea, the QB is all steel almost, so you can always chuck anything round up in a drill press and polish it shiney with steel wool, then clear coat with poly spray or whatever.

Ok, off I go!

Dan
Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 12:11:31 PM »
Ian, thats a nice bolt handle!  But... I'm looking  to have it bent down, curved, if you will, like a firearm bolt handle. I believe the shape of a curved bolt handle would add to the beauty of a custom stocked QB. Is this possible with brass? I'm working to put all of the ideas on paper now, and then I'll start putting together a list of guys that can do the work for me. Let me know if you can do this.

Thanks!

Danny

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 12:18:06 PM »
Hey Dano...Book'em! LOL!  Gotcha'!

Thanks for the link, Art does some nice work! I believe he may be the one to go to for my QB MB needs. I'm still trying to figure out how someone would get the leather tight enough around the stock to make it form to the contours. I've  got  lots of planning to  do, but I'm gonna' follow through with this idea and see where it takes me. I might have to sell something, but in the end it'll be worth it!

Danny

Offline IJL

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 05:54:25 PM »
Hi Dan, I told Jon, the guy who makes the bolt handles for us, amongst other things, says he in a "muffled" voice ;) I believe he now refers to them as LDCs as in Lead Dust Catchers, that they should be bent, but in honesty I'm not sure what the angles will do when the bolt is moved forward. Yes it will cock but the stresses will be different. May have a play with a piece of steel.........
And Dan, you KNOW who is playing with .25 QB's  ;)   figures soon, I hope and if you look very carefully at the gas tube in the second pic you may see something different about it?????????.

Ian

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 11:03:00 PM »
Hello Danny boy, so your into leather hehe. Anyway I do aliittle leather work , check my ( Work to hunt post) I made the deerskin pellet pouch , I've found that to get leather to form good, nows here's the scary part, I would soke it in water. :o Water softens it up and forms well and when it dries ,it shrinks aliittle making a tight fit.Depending on the thickness, the thicker the leather the tougher the fit.Deerskin works good for me, thin and workable. Good luck. Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 03:31:08 AM »
IJL - 2/9/2007  1:54 AM

Hi Dan, I told Jon, the guy who makes the bolt handles for us, amongst other things, says he in a "muffled" voice ;) I believe he now refers to them as LDCs as in Lead Dust Catchers, that they should be bent, but in honesty I'm not sure what the angles will do when the bolt is moved forward. Yes it will cock but the stresses will be different. May have a play with a piece of steel.........
And Dan, you KNOW who is playing with .25 QB's  ;)   figures soon, I hope and if you look very carefully at the gas tube in the second pic you may see something different about it?????????.

Ian

Hellooooo Ian! Thats what I'm talkin' about! A piece of steel, rather then brass. If steel is used I don't think that stresses on the handle will be a worry. I noticed the tube in the second pic, but forgot to ask you about it. Is that a PCP QB? The .25 QB sounds like a winner and should be deadly on any small game one would encounter with it. I prefer .22 myself, and use 21.0 grain Kodiaks in my QB for hunting squirrels out to35yds. My QB is deadly with these pellets, but also likes the 14.3 Accupells.

I'm piecing all of the ideas together, so if you say you can build what I need, I'll be contacting you very soon. I'll be putting something up for sale here soon to get some more $ for this project.

Thanks!

Danny

Offline IJL

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 05:18:11 AM »
Hi Danny, what you should have asked "Is that ANOTHER PCP QB?" the answer would be "yes!". It's our next generation PCP, shooting now but still in development. See my gallery for the earlier type with the big gas tube. That rifle  is getting my next .25 conversion, time I had one too instead of just selling them.

I'll look at the bent steel bolt, should not be a problem and if done properly will stop the bolt damaging the gas tube as it does on some rifles.
May be a long way to ship kit but if I do it and you want it then no worries :)

Ian

Offline IJL

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 02:55:16 AM »
Hey Danny, I think this is the sort of thing you were asking about. Steel shaft, ally "ball" and bent so it does no damage to the tube or the wood when you use it. Feels more comfortable  in use too.

Ian

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2007, 08:20:00 AM »

I have made a few straight brass ones as I supply IJL. I have an idea how to bend them without marking the polished finish and will have a go in the week when I have time. Does anyone know how brass bends when heat is applied?

Jon

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2007, 11:27:14 AM »
Jon,
You don't need to heat the brass. With a large radius bend like that, it will bend fine. (unless you are using CAST brass)
If you heat it it will aneal, not good for this application.

Tom

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2007, 12:42:14 PM »
Thanks Tom and a big Welcome to the GTA..:) I was waiting for the answer to Jon's question and you have itched my scratch..:)

Thanks for sharing

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin