Author Topic: To all you QB Tuners  (Read 7524 times)

Offline DanoInTx

• http://airgunartisans.com
Re: To all you QB Tuners
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2007, 02:32:14 PM »
Brass tends to work harden, so you bend it, and if it isn't right then you heat it.....then it's soft again till you bend it again, then it's hard again.  I'm not real great at explaining it, but basically you can bend it all you want cold, so long as you anneal it in between to resoften it.  Everytime you rebend it you will work harden it.  Back in the days before me copper (brass is copper and tin I believe?) tubing was use in aircraft hydralic and fuel systems because it was easy to route through the airframe......which is a great feature....unfortunately as those systems are pressurized and depressurized, and the airframe flexes, vibrates, etc....the tubing would work harden and eventually crack...bummer when your fuel lines crack:)  Thank goodness stuff like this is no longer used....like since before WW2!

On a side note the trigger blade on my BAM50 is brass, which is good because the shape sucked...so anneal, bend to shape, done!  Easy way to tell when you've over work hardened something is when it cracks....be careful!

Dan
Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2007, 03:41:00 PM »
All that depends on what alloy you have. There are many brass alloys. It is not just your WWII brass anymore. My favorite is leaded brass,
Used by engravers and clockmakers, my profession for 30 years. The brass typical in these bolt handles won't work harden that quickly.
If you wanted to bend it into a hairpin, that would be a problem. Cast brass is a big problem to bend. It usually will bend a bit but will likely break if you try to bend it back. Then you have shell case brass, a pain to machine unless you aneal it first.

Tom

Offline DanoInTx

• http://airgunartisans.com
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2007, 04:14:15 PM »
Good deal, my metalurgy classes were a long time ago and mostly forgotten.  I probably know enough at this point to be dangerous:)

Clockmaker eh?  Man that is some intricate stuff, wish I had 30 or so extra years to start learning that!!!  Have any pictures of past work for us to drool over?

Dan
Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2007, 06:31:25 PM »
I had a heart attack and quit clocks about the same time, about three years ago. When I quit something, I do it right. Don't even own a decent clock now. Don't even wear a watch ;o)  Now I just work as little as I can get away with . Mostly making tools for clock and watchmakers. Nothing special.

I have started playing with air guns as it is harder to find places to shoot power guns now. I do like the QBs ;o)  Just got a QB1 that I am adapting to paintball tanks.

Tom