Author Topic: FPS consistency ???  (Read 1619 times)

Offline howie1a

• http://ihowie1a@yahoo.com
FPS consistency ???
« on: July 13, 2009, 03:40:16 AM »
I have a QB78 in 22 cal and it seams to be very inconsistent when I chrony it it runs from 540 to 570 and jumps around it will run close for a while two or three shots  then it will jump to a new fps range and stay close for a while then change again it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference when shooting targets but I wounder if it will make a big difference at 30 yds  you know PIO ?? howie  any ideas on how or how to get it more stable. ??
Howie1a
CURRENT HERD ,, Baikal pistol M53 in 177 ,,crossman pistol 357 -177cal. ,,Bam 30 -22 cal,,  RWS 320 cal 177 custom walnut  stock,,QB2078 custom stock walnut cal177,,   QB2078 custom walnut stock  22 cal,,B7 custom stock cal 177 ,, B12 custom stock cal 177,,B16 from shadow 177 cal,,<< ALL THE REST OF MY  RIFLES FROM \"\"MIKE M. Flying Dragon Air Rifles \"\" Super nice.

Offline ribbonstone

• http://
RE: FPS consistency ???
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 09:26:55 AM »
Only hints I can give are as follows:

1. Look at the on-line tune guides, esp. at the "smoothing" parts.  Roughness/burrs in the tube where the hammer moves can make for a variable hammer fall.  Should be smooth and slightly lubed with a good long term lubricant (I prefer a rubbed in dab of molly paste) on both the inside of the tube and the hammer..as well as the spring and spring guide).

2. TEMPERATURE!  Co2's pressure changes with temperature, so the vel. changes.  Rifles running on 12gr. cartridges are the worst about this, not only is there a tiny volume of co2, but the metal 12grs. act like ice cubes in a drink...they have little contact with the main tube (where warmth from the outside comes from).  Need to pace your shooting for a more level gun temp. It gets WORSE as the 12gr. start to run down.  BTW: the more gas used per shot, as would happen in guns tuned to be fast, the more cooler with each shot.

3. No matter what the reputation of the pellets you are using, if they don't fit the bore or if they have weight/diameter variations, have to expect vel. variations.  

Even on the rifles running on 12gr. cartridges, if I take my time and keep shooting at whatever pace needed to maintain vel. levels, will expect variations in the 1.2-1.5% range.  Use percentages as a gun tuned to 550fps giving 6-7fps fps varaitions  would be the same as a gun tuned to 750 giving  9fps variation.
Robert