Author Topic: QB2078 Stock  (Read 2692 times)

Offline Fatman

QB2078 Stock
« on: August 07, 2009, 01:27:05 PM »
Hi:

How do you get crisp outlines on the bedliner grip and fore end panels on your QB2078 target stocks.  I've seen a few done this way and it certainly enhances the look.  Resembles those oh so expensive European target models I can only dream of.  Sort of ersatz stippling.

The only time I used bedliner, it seemed to need a fairly thick coat to cover properly and it appeared too thick and gummy to get a crisp edge.  Am I just doing it wrong?  Wouldn't be the first time!

Do you just use masking tape?  How long do you shake the can to get a good mix?  How far away do you hold it when spraying and how heavy a coat do you apply.  Do you remove the tape immediately or how long should you wait?  It seems too tough a coating to wait for it to dry before removing the tape.

I used the Duplicolor bedliner in the spray can.  I see that Walmart has another brand for sale.  Anyone tried it?  Would it work better?

Anyone who's done one willing to share your secrets?

Thanks in advance,
Fatman

Offline SDale

• http://
RE: QB2078 Stock
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 02:43:25 PM »
Duplicolor bedliner is good stuff. The Walmart brand is Plasticote I think. It works OK, but it's REALLY gummy. Looks like wads of chewing gum when it's sprayed on. It's also more rubbery. I use mostly Rustoleum bedliner from Autozone or Kragen. It gives a really fine sandy type finish like on a steel army helmet.

I'll mask off EVERYTHING that I don't want bedline on with blue painters masking tape. I shake the can for a pretty long time. I spray from about 2 feet away in short bursts. The closer you spray, the heavier/gummier the coating will be. It'll also sag. Further away gives less coverage per spray, but a finer coating.  You're not actually painting, so building up multiple dust coats until it looks slightly damp is fine. It won't affect the finish unless it runs.

When it's almost dry, slooooooooowly peel your masking off. If you wait until it's completely dry, the bedliner turns into a shell and isn't soft enough to peel just the masking tape away.

I'd get a couple cans of bedliner, some scrap pieces of wood (old table legs work pretty good!) and practice with your spray pattern and dry time.

Offline SDale

RE: QB2078 Stock
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 02:51:12 PM »
Here's a pic of my bedlinered Crosman Quest. Done the same way as I listed in the post above

Offline Fatman

Re: QB2078 Stock
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 09:23:50 PM »
Hi SDALE:

Your Quest looks great.  Looks "Factory".  Did you bedliner the entire stock and then add the panels?  Very nice effect.  Thanks for the tips.

Fatman

Offline SDale

Re: QB2078 Stock
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 03:50:20 AM »
Thanks!

Yup. I bedlinered the whole stock, then sprayed it OD Green. After that I masked it off and added the panels in more bedliner.