Author Topic: For ALL the VETS Here! Great story sent to me.  (Read 1035 times)

Offline SDale

• http://
For ALL the VETS Here! Great story sent to me.
« on: August 13, 2009, 04:02:48 PM »
A friend of mine sent me this story. I thought it was pretty good.

This is a good counter balance story to the Jane Fonda " Vietnam " Woman Of The Year story I have received many times in my e-mail.

Viet Nam 1966

Richard, (my husband), never really talked a lot about his time in Viet Nam other than he had been shot by a sniper. However, he had a rather grainy, 8 x 10 black and white photo he had taken at a USO show of Ann Margret with Bob Hope in the background that was one of his treasures.

A few years ago, Ann Margret was doing a book signing at a local
bookstore. Richard wanted to see if he could get her to sign the
treasured photo so he arrived at the bookstore at 12 o'clock for the
7:30 signing.

When I got there after work, the line went all the way around the
bookstore, circled the parking lot and disappeared behind a parking
garage. Before her appearance, bookstore employees announced that
she would sign only her book and no memorabilia would be permitted.

Richard was disappointed, but wanted to show her the photo and let her know
how much those shows meant to lonely GI's so far from home. Ann
Margret came out looking as beautiful as ever and, as second in
line, it was soon Richard's turn.

He presented the book for
her signature and then took out the photo. When he did, there were
many shouts from the employees that she would not sign it. Richard
said, "I understand. I just wanted her to see it."

She took one look at the photo, tears welled up in her eyes and she said, "This is one of my gentlemen from Viet Namand I most certainly will sign his photo. I know what these men did for their country and I always have time for 'my gentlemen.'"

With that, she pulled Richard across the table and planted a big kiss on him. She then made quite a to-do about the bravery of the young men she met over the years, how much she admired them, and how much she appreciated them. There weren't too many dry eyes among those close enough to hear She then posed for pictures and acted as if he were the only one there.

Later at dinner, Richard was very quiet. When I asked if he'd like to talk about it, my big strong husband broke down in tears. "That's the first time anyone ever thanked me for my time in the Army," he said.

That night was a turning point for him. He walked a little straighter and, for the first time in years, was proud to have been a Vet. I'll never forget Ann Margret for her graciousness and how much that small act of kindness meant to my husband.

I now make it a point to say "Thank you" to every person I come across who served in our Armed Forces.

Freedom does not come cheap and I am grateful for all those who have served their country.

If you'd like to pass on this story, feel free to do so. Perhaps it
will help others to become aware of how important it is to
acknowledge the contribution our service people make.

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Re: For ALL the VETS Here! Great story sent to me.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 04:40:46 PM »
Well Sam that brings back many sad and some happy memories. Reading it I could not help but to shed a couple tears myself. Those were the most horrific years of my young life. I thought I had put it behind me but when I see things like this I a glaze covers my eyes and it is hard for me to square myself around again. Richard and many more Vets did put there lives on the line and Margaret was there at some of the smaller fire camps and saw what was going on all around them. Her and Bob would only stay for a bit and then if the coast was clear they would move on to the next camp. It sure brightened our souls to know that they put there selves in arms way to give us hope.
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline Big_Bill

RE: For ALL the VETS Here! Great story sent to me.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 06:02:57 PM »

I never made a U.S.O. Show,

But while I do HATE old Hanoi Ann, I hope this story is true, she did a good thing for some, and for some reason made a bigdifference on one veterans life.

Bill

Life Member of The United States of America
Life Member of the National Rifle Association
Member Air Guns Addicted Anonymous
SHOOT SAFE ! - SHOOT WELL ! - SHOOT OFTEN !
Always Use A Spring Compressor ! and Buy the GREAT GRT-III & CBR Triggers, cause they are GRRRREAT !

Offline triry

Re: For ALL the VETS Here! Great story sent to me.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 08:43:57 AM »
excellent story,..........along those lines, heathers dad, a former "submariner" belongs toa new hampshire group of veterans that makes it a point to greet every incoming/outgoing flight of us soldiers that in/outbound to iraq. many of the members are wwll veterans that wear the duty unirms they still own. troops are given care packages, greeted by a supportive crowd that often measures in the hundreds.
we've met a number of "wounded" warriors here and each one appreciates the simple thanks you's that oft go forgotten. what amazes many is that these troops are many times 18-20 years old........not yet old enough to drink but old enough to go to war.