Author Topic: Hawke® Sport HD Scopes ANY GOOD?  (Read 3354 times)

Offline Bentong

• http://
Hawke® Sport HD Scopes ANY GOOD?
« on: October 08, 2009, 09:53:27 AM »

Offline Bhawanna

• http://airgunrecon.com
RE: Hawke® Sport HD Scopes ANY GOOD?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 12:31:51 PM »
its a good price but that scope is NOT designed for a springer, especially a magnum springer.  that is the "bottom-line" Hawke scope and lens aren't as good as the airmax or map-pro.....you get what you pay for.
The hardest part of getting old is trying to look good naked!

Offline thebookdoc

• http://airscopes.com
Re: Hawke® Sport HD Scopes ANY GOOD?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 01:27:28 AM »
What Bhawanna said, mostly. I'm not sure you always get what you pay for -- though I think that will hold generally. I have an airmax that I think is really good for the money, and it is rated for springer recoil. That said it is at least $100 more than the sportsman you list here -- which is the low-end Hawke -- but half the price of a Leupold or Sightron rated for springers. However, if you are shooting a low-recoil gun and not a springer, you may have more scope options. Your eye will matter as well. There are certain things in a scope I might like that you may not. In an expensive shuffling, I tested Leupold, Hawke, Sightron, Swift, Nikon, BSA, Leapers, CenterPoint, RedHead, Millett, Bushnell and a few other scopes just to see what was really important to me...Most are going up on ebay, unused. I'm keeping a Leupold VX-II (3-9x33 Ultralight AO), Hawke Airmax (4-12x40 AO), Sightron SII (4-16x42 AO), Swift 686m (High Recoil 6.5-20x44 AO), Bushnell Trophy (6-18x42 AO), and Bushnell Banner (6-18x50 AO). Note I'm not keeping the Nikon (Monarch) as the adjustable objective has a minimum focal range of 50 yards -- just doesn't make sense for what I do. It is a beautiful scope, and the most expensive one I bought, but it isn't what I need. Some other scopes I didn't want to risk breaking on a springer (I REALLY liked the Millett SF scope I got, but it just wasn't springer rated, so I grudgingly exchanged it). Some scopes were just awful in my opinion...the Centerpoint (granted a cheap model) was blurry on the edges with hard-visible chromatic aberration. But I can't judge all of CenterPoint's scopes based on that. Some other scopes I expected to be good distorted a lot just looking down the tube. I wasn't happy with features on others -- the Leapers locking turrets seemed unmanageable. I thought the BSA glass was hazy.  The RedHead seemed like a nice scope, but they made it with some horrible rubber that stunk like buring tires -- and I couldn't even get the smell out of the METAL. Some, like Sightron and Leupold, had outstanding features like great eye-relief and filled your vision better than others. To me it was worth the expense -- it won't be to others.

While everyone probably wouldn't want to do what I did -- or take the risk, or possibly not afford it -- I know a lot more now than I did before...and a scope isn't a scope isn't a scope. But if I were going inexpensive on anything at this point, I'd get another Bushnell Banner. You can get the 6-18x50 for $89 on ebay, and it is springer rated.

I hope that helps!

THE GUNS:
     â€¢ Cometa Fusion Star (Gene tuned) 12/10/09
     â€¢ Cometa Fenix RWS 94 2/8/10
     â€¢ RWS Diana 48 .177 1/8/10 [TRADE for RWS 350]
     â€¢ Walther Force 1000 .177 11/11/09
     â€¢ TF89 .22 10/26/09 (Gene tuned 1/6/10)
     â€¢ TF89 .177 (Gene tuned) 9/6/09
     â€¢ Remington Vantage 1200 .177 8/22/09 (Gene tuned 1/6/10)
     â€¢ Daisy 953 (pneumatic) 8/02/08
     â€¢ Gamo Big Cat 2/5/10 (broken...free...maybe gas piston?!)

THE SCOPES:  
     â€¢ Sightron SII 4-16x42 AO  
     â€¢ Leupold VX-II 3-9x33 Ultralight EFR AO
     â€¢ Bushnell Trophy 6-18x42 AO  
     â€¢ Swift 686 High Recoil 6.5-20x44 AO  
     â€¢ Hawke Air Max 4-12x40 AO  
     â€¢ Bushnell Banner 6-18x50 AO

Offline tunaboat

Re: Hawke® Sport HD Scopes ANY GOOD?
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 10:50:42 PM »
Nice review Rich,thanks.  For lower end scopes I like the Bushnel Banner too.  I appreciate their lighter weight.
I have a very strict gun control policy: if there\'s a gun around, I want to be in control of it. (Clint Eastwood)

Offline ranedouglas

• http://www.raneair.webs.com
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 07:40:28 PM »
i bought two of these for my magnum springers after talking to brad - the sales guy for hawke in the u.s.   he explained that these haven't been out long enough to know for sure, but he'd take good care of me if there was any problems w/ the hd's.   i had been through the entire line of leapers 5th gen scopes - my walther talon magnum was eating them like candy - usually breaking the reticles after i had just gotten comfortable w/ that scope - around 300 pellets.    going back and forth to cheaper than dirt here in ft.worth was getting old - and so was mounting and locktite-ing.     the one 3-9x40 AO hawke hd i have mounted to my walther talon magnum has held just fine - 1500 shots.   the optics aren't as clear as the leapers and one click on the adjustments equals almost two clicks on the leapers.    i got my walther talon mag refurbed for under $150 - it's become my favorite gun, shooting 27 ftlbs after lube and tune.   but i still wasn't gonna pay more for the scope than i did the gun.    the dampa mounts were my next option.   i sold the other one to a local guy for the tomahawk he bought from me.   his leapers 3-9x40AO wouldn't hold zero.    before i sold it, i had it on a m.melick b-26 that i just traded for a footpump.   that scope was fine, too (so was that gun).     mine has held on mag springers that shredded leapers scopes.   i am content w/ mine and i paid $120 for the two.    just don't expect to be able to see as well at dusk or before a heavy storm.     you may as well buy two - they have lifetime warranties.      - paul d self in fort worth, texas.

Offline Bentong

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 01:42:34 PM »

ranedouglas - 10/13/2009  3:40 AM  i bought two of these for my magnum springers after talking to brad - the sales guy for hawke in the u.s.   he explained that these haven't been out long enough to know for sure, but he'd take good care of me if there was any problems w/ the hd's.   i had been through the entire line of leapers 5th gen scopes - my walther talon magnum was eating them like candy - usually breaking the reticles after i had just gotten comfortable w/ that scope - around 300 pellets.    going back and forth to cheaper than dirt here in ft.worth was getting old - and so was mounting and locktite-ing.     the one 3-9x40 AO hawke hd i have mounted to my walther talon magnum has held just fine - 1500 shots.   the optics aren't as clear as the leapers and one click on the adjustments equals almost two clicks on the leapers.    i got my walther talon mag refurbed for under $150 - it's become my favorite gun, shooting 27 ftlbs after lube and tune.   but i still wasn't gonna pay more for the scope than i did the gun.    the dampa mounts were my next option.   i sold the other one to a local guy for the tomahawk he bought from me.   his leapers 3-9x40AO wouldn't hold zero.    before i sold it, i had it on a m.melick b-26 that i just traded for a footpump.   that scope was fine, too (so was that gun).     mine has held on mag springers that shredded leapers scopes.   i am content w/ mine and i paid $120 for the two.    just don't expect to be able to see as well at dusk or before a heavy storm.     you may as well buy two - they have lifetime warranties.      - paul d self in fort worth, texas.

So this same model has held up so far from your walter talon. What mount is the scope on?

Offline ranedouglas

• http://www.raneair.webs.com
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 02:49:30 PM »
the mount is a medium utg (accushot).   i was shooting it this weekend.   it's still holding zero.