Author Topic: Starlings  (Read 1111 times)

Offline xschug3

• http://
Starlings
« on: October 25, 2009, 12:40:20 PM »

I've got a thing against starlings, can't stand em! My neighbors two houses down have hundreds of starlings that flock to their large Oak tree every fall it seems. They don't give my trees (Black Walnuts, Maples, and Redbuds) much attention at all. I would love to post a few pics of some lifeless yellow beaks on here, but can't seem to get them in my yard. I wonder if they remember me dropping a few of their buddies this time last year. Anyway, does anyone have a good "bait" or attractant to get them to give my trees/yard some attention? I'm sure someone on this forum loves sniping a yellow beak as much as I do. Any tips would be great. I currently have one large feeder in the backyard that contains misc seeds, corn, and sunflowers. All I seem to attract with that is the occassional jay, sparrow, and cardinal. They're all around the area, what do you guys think?
Gamo Big Cat 1200 w/GRTIII and Centerpoint 16x40
Walther Force 1000
B-3
Daisy Powerline 880 from \'95

Offline longislandhunter

RE: Starlings
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 01:04:24 PM »
Ah,, yellow beaks,,,, my absolute favorite target !!!!!   I live for starling hunting  :)

While regular bird seed, corn and sunflower seeds may bring in a yellow beak or 2 occasionally  it won't attract them in any great numbers.   Suet cakes, especially the suet cakes labeled as "nutty suet cakes" or containing peanuts, will bring in starlings like a magnet.  Once you hang up the suet cages it may take the starlings a day or so to find them but once they do they'll keep coming back until the suet is gone.  If you keep replenishing the suet cakes you'll have non stop starling action.  I usually buy mine at home deport or Lowes and they are usually really cheap, like $1.00 each.  

The other bait that will bring in starlings in good numbers is plain old dry cat food.  Don't bother buying the expensive stuff, just get the cheapest bag of dry cat food you can find and put it out where the birds can see it.  

Another really good bait, one that usually brings in birds within a very short time of putting it out, is either popcorn or stale cereal.  The stuff draws them like a magnet.  

All the baits I've listed are sure fire starling baits but I've found  that the suet cakes are by far the best bait, especially in the winter months but it works in summer as well.    The suet is like crack cocaine to starlings.  

Give it a try,, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised   :emoticon:

And don't forget to post the pics of those dead yellow beaks.......

Jeff
\"If it was easy it wouldn\'t be hunting, it would be shopping.\"

Offline xschug3

Re: Starlings
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 01:19:53 PM »
Woooohoo! 8)  That's the response I was hoping for! That gives me a good wide range of baits to try out. I will surely put suet up and now that most my leaves on my trees are gone, I can spot those little black silhouettes easier.

Pics to come in no time I hope!

Thanks Longisland!
Gamo Big Cat 1200 w/GRTIII and Centerpoint 16x40
Walther Force 1000
B-3
Daisy Powerline 880 from \'95

Offline jake

Re: Starlings
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 01:46:54 PM »
yeah, i'ce heard suet works wonders. i too have starlings all around me but they dont come to my yard for sale reason, they'll be right att he chainlink fence dividing ym yard and my neibors and all they have to do do is go right through the little hose to get corn and stuff but they just go the other way lol idk why, but im going to try the suet also. ill let you know how it does
if at first you dont succeed, re-load, kill count 2010.
(6)squirrel
()opposum
()skunk
()chipmunks
()squirrel
()raccoon
(1)starling
()grackle
()sparrows