Author Topic: I have the BUG........ Tools Bug  (Read 2392 times)

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
I have the BUG........ Tools Bug
« on: March 18, 2007, 01:47:55 PM »
Over the next several months, I am goin to try and fit in some new tools for my garage.. A small lathe and vertical mill would be nice.. I need a good drill press as well.. I was looking at some of the stuff on Cummins Tools site and today some of these things are almost affordable for the average bear.. ..:)

Any thoughts on what brands to buy or where is the best place to purchase these kind of tools?  All input would be appreciated..:)

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline daved

• http://
RE: I have the BUG........ Tools Bug
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 02:13:46 PM »
ME TOO!!!  No way I can afford it in the forseeable future, though :-(.  Don't know anything about the mill or lathe (other than I want one of each!), but I can recomend Grizzly for the drill press.  I bought a Grizzly 17" drill press, 14" band saw, and 6" jointer almost 2 years ago, and have been very pleased with all of them.  I've heard lots of bad press about Grizzly tools, but I won't be adding to it.  My opinion is that most of the bad press is caused by people that won't take the time to make sure their tools are properly set up before using them.  I probably spent at least 2 hours each on the jointer and band saw, but not on the drill press.  Guess which one I had a problem with :-)!  Easy fix, just had to smack a pulley with a rubber mallet.  BTW, one of the reasons I went with that particular drill press was the stroke length, it's almost 5 inches.  For the stuff I do, it really makes a difference.  Good luck, and don't forget to bolt it down!

Dave

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Re: I have the BUG........ Tools Bug
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 02:24:38 PM »
Thanks Dave

I have seen the Grizzly lathe and it looks well built.. At one time, when I was very young, I wanted to be a machinest and worked with alot of different machines for a few years.. I think, I can remember some of the basics.. With the new digital readouts and digital mics, it would make things alot simpler now days to make things... hehe

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline Big_Bill

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 05:40:37 PM »
Hello Guys,

I will only say that my first order from Grizzly was bad !

Tools were delivered damaged, and after many phone calls and e-mails, I sent the whole order back.

I could not deal with these people, and will never try to again. If I wanted to keep it and make the repair, they wanted it returned, I ordered a screwgun with an extra battery, one battery was stone dead, they wanted both returned. What I needed fixexed, they wanted me to fix ?

Never more....Please keep your eyes open Gene !

But I will say, that this happened over 9 years ago, and things change, maybe...

Bill
Life Member of The United States of America
Life Member of the National Rifle Association
Member Air Guns Addicted Anonymous
SHOOT SAFE ! - SHOOT WELL ! - SHOOT OFTEN !
Always Use A Spring Compressor ! and Buy the GREAT GRT-III & CBR Triggers, cause they are GRRRREAT !

Offline daved

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 02:57:07 AM »
Can't argue your point, Bill, I know nothing about their smaller tools except that the price always looked a little too good, if you know what I mean.  Also, you don't see Grizzly green on construction sites!  

Didn't have anything delivered until recently, I live less than 200 miles from the Bellingham, WA store, so I actually got to go SHOPPING :-)!  I wasn't into air guns then, just tools, so I was like a kid in a candy store.  Talk about smorgasboard starvation!  And I knew what I was getting when I got there, still took me the whole day.  

You're right, Gene needs to keep his eyes open and do his homework.  That's pretty much a given if you're going to plunk down a wad of hard earned cash on something that should last for years.  That's one of the great things about the internet, it's pretty easy to check things out, see what other people think.  I subscribe to a woodworking magazine called American Woodworker, they regularly test different tools, and the Grizzly shop tools ususally do well, almost always rate at least a best buy.  Consumer Reports is also a good source for unbiased ratings ( as long as it's not an American made car!), but their tool testing is pretty spotty.  I'm probably not that good a source, since I have so much invested in my tools, I tend to baby them.  Keep them clean, sharp blades/cutters, don't push them are my mottos, but like I said, I expect them to last me for years.  Kind of like buying a Gamo, sure you can take it out of the box and just shoot it.  But if you're willing to spend just a little time and money on it, you can end up with something far more valuable and effective than what you paid.

Sorry I got so long winded, Bill, I didn't mean to go into lecture mode :-)!  But I hear guys gripe about the POS tool they have, then see it buried in a pile of crap in the back of their truck, not in it's case, no protection from the elements, and obviously no maintenance since the day it left the factory.  Needless to say, these are NOT the guys I let use MY tools!  Anyway, just my opinion.  Later.

Dave

Offline Big_Bill

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 05:34:46 AM »
Hay Dave,

Like you I take care of my tools, Religiously.

I allways buy a tool that will last me a lifetime, it saves you lots of money in the end, money that can be used for airguns and other tools.

Grizzly just didn't want to work with me, at all. I'm an easy guy to get along with, but everything I needed, and could fix myself, they demanded to be returned ? So I returned it all, and went to Home Depot and bought it there.

I have bought a Riggid top of the line, Pro Orbital Jigsaw, lasted only two very light uses. I sent it back for repair, and after return it only held up for three uses, very,very light uses. Needless to say, never more !

I then purchased a cheepo Black and Decker, that I still use, and it has lasted me over 10 years.

Enough of that, I only responded to warn Gene, and others. And wish all good luck with all there purchases, tool and airgun monies shouldn't be wasted.

And Gene, Does Bob know that he's been training his future competition ?

Keep an better eye on him Frtiz !

Bill
Life Member of The United States of America
Life Member of the National Rifle Association
Member Air Guns Addicted Anonymous
SHOOT SAFE ! - SHOOT WELL ! - SHOOT OFTEN !
Always Use A Spring Compressor ! and Buy the GREAT GRT-III & CBR Triggers, cause they are GRRRREAT !