Author Topic: Provocative Thread II  (Read 4626 times)

Offline larspawn

• http://
Re: Provocative Thread II
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 06:28:37 AM »
Bogey,

LOL about the computer!  

jwh2,

Not sure what the "board" definition of "trolling" is but I'll look.  Only trolling I know outside of fishing is what we said the guys did in college after a night partying.  Okay there weren't a lot of good looking women were I went to school!

Trust me I'm not a bad person...

Andy

-----------------------------------------------
Guns:  One less than too many...

Offline gamo2hammerli

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 07:12:26 AM »
Not much of a tinkerer myself.....I only fix my airguns or bicycles if they need fixing.  If an airgun is 80% ok....I`ll leave it alone....and won`t try to make it 100%.  Now on the other hand...if something malfunctioned with the airgun.....now I don`t have a choice....I`ll open her up to fix or change that piece.....and do a home tune while at it.
Gamo: Expotec .177 + Big Cat .177 + Viper .177 + Whisper .177, Hammerli Titan .177, Diana model 24 .177, RWS-Diana P5 Magnum pistol .177, Crosman: G1 Extreme .177 + Storm XT .177 + Sierra Pro .177 + 1377 pistol .177, Air Arms S410SL .22, BSA Scorpion T10 .22, FX Cyclone .177, Remington Air Master 77 .177 + BB\'s,

Offline ezman604

• Owner/Executive Administrator
RE: Provocative Thread II
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 07:50:23 AM »
Andy,
You know how to stir the pot. LOL
A lot of good answers too. There's room and a place for all types. Like mentioned already, there are folks that are better at some things than others. As a USAF avionic electronics technician, I could repair and tune a box to do anything you wanted. But, once installed in the aircraft, I could not fly it to play with it in real life. The pilot could fly the aircraft and operate the heck out of the boxes but they wouldn't know which end of the screwdriver to use to work on the units. HeeHee
As a computer technician and network administrator, I set up a lot of workstations. I have users that can dance all around inside the software and do all kinds of things. I build computers and servers in my sleep and these same users wouldn't know the difference in RAM and ROM. (Sorry, a little computer geek analogy thrown in.)
With those examples, I would say I'm the type that likes (HAS TO) know how things operate or come apart. I'm always looking to make something perform better. If it's broke, I'll tear into it. I can't hurt it, it's already broke. There are folks out there that know a HECK of a lot more about tuning an AG than I do and have been doing a fantastic job for years. I am a former engineer and back yard tinkerer. I love the sport of shooting. Combining all that,  I'll tear my own guns down and try to make them better shooters. I enjoy shooting and the results (hopefully) from my labors.
So, which am I??? hmmmmm...Real Deal Poser????
Happy Shooting!!!!
Dave
 :emoticon:
Crosman/Revelation 760 PumpMaster (Vintage 1967)
Powerline 1000S .177 (semi-tuned by me)
Benjamin Super Streak .177/.22 (semi-tuned by me)
Benjamin Trail NP XL1500 (bone stock)
Benjamin Trail NP XL1100 (project gun)
TF89 .22 (tuned by Gene)
Winchester 1000WS .177 (semi-tuned by muwah)
QB57 (l

Offline RedFeather

RE: Provocative Thread II
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 08:43:31 AM »
Now, I know darn well that I replied to this thread with a picture that was NOT overly provocative. In fact, it was the banner of the Yellow's Off Topic Lounge for a while and you know how strict Steve is over there.  Moderators - can't live with them, can't....... aarhggg, I'm bein' moderated!  :D

Offline howie1a

• http://ihowie1a@yahoo.com
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 01:23:27 PM »
One of the things I like about air guns is being able to make them better than when they came from the factory, This is part of the air gun thing with me . Not everyone has this gift yes I consider the ability to fix most things a gift . My real skill and training is in wood working but some how I've been given the ability to work on most mechanical things and sometimes made my living at mechanical stuff.I don't want to be a tuner or a professional airgun smith even though the only difference between a professional and amateur is the professional gets paid for what he does. But we do what we can and if part of the fun is not only shooting but keeping your equiptment  in top working shape or improving it that's is what it's about. For the people who need help from a tuner lets hope that they can aford to pay for it. We used to say in the boat work if you own a boat you need to be either able to fix the thing or have a garbage can full of money. It's not just being able to take apart and put together a gun but to be able to see in your head what is happening inside and how each part works with each other.howie
Howie1a
CURRENT HERD ,, Baikal pistol M53 in 177 ,,crossman pistol 357 -177cal. ,,Bam 30 -22 cal,,  RWS 320 cal 177 custom walnut  stock,,QB2078 custom stock walnut cal177,,   QB2078 custom walnut stock  22 cal,,B7 custom stock cal 177 ,, B12 custom stock cal 177,,B16 from shadow 177 cal,,<< ALL THE REST OF MY  RIFLES FROM \"\"MIKE M. Flying Dragon Air Rifles \"\" Super nice.

Offline VINNY

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 04:14:44 PM »
SDALE said it perfectly. I personally seem to collect more. I dont get to shoot as much as I would like, but when I do I love it. I jumped into airguns and bought a bunch fairly soon without much  of a clue. But I love each airgun that I have. [ yes, even my Viper Express ]I cant afford, nor do I want a $500 or more airgun. Of course I have never fired one, so that may be why,but thats a lot of money to me. I dont have a problem with someone buying a $500 or even a $2000 airgun. Its just not for me. There are about 6 or 8 more air rifles that I want, none cost over $ 300. Heck I could get 3 of the list for a total of $300! I would much rather send Gene my Big Cat for a turbo tune than get a $ 500 Beeman or whatever. Maybe thats because I have never fired one like I said, but if you really read this and other forums [ that are actually still active ], you will see people having the times of their lives with what some would refer to as junk. None of the airguns that you see on the bottom of my posts are what most people would drool over, But I love them all. I drool over my cfx .22, Falcon Hunter and Varmint Hunter. My Baikal is AWESOME to me, and I shoot my Quest the most. I would like to point out that airguns of all types brought us all together in this family, [ Yes, even my Viper Express ], and that is AWESOME. [ stop making fun of my Viper Express ]
Daisy-Red Ryder,2-15XT pistols,Powerline 1200 pistol/Crosman-Quest 1000,Powermaster 66, 1377 pistol,Pumpmaster 760, 1077 AS/Gamo-Big Cat,Viper Express,CFX in.177,CFX-.22 [Finally!!] Varmint Hunter / 1971 Benjamin 132/ 4 Cummins b-3\'s./ Walther -Falcon hunter .22, Force 1000-.177/Baikal- MP512M-.22/ Winchester -800x-.177/Baretta-92FS,EliteII/Hammerli- 490 Express

Offline airgunandy

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 01:58:49 AM »
Yes, it's not about the amount of money one spends or the amount of mechanical know-how one possesses, it's one's attitude that makes one a poser.
Whether I buy ultra nice airguns or low-dollar airguns shouldn't matter. If I cannot even clean my airgun due to llack of mechanical ability or if I  can build a gun from parts, it shouldn't matter. As long as I am enjoying shooting my gun and helping other to enjoy the sport all is good. Once I begin to look down my nose at you because you can't or won't spend as much as me, or can't fix or build a gun like me, then perhaps I have become a poser. Or at the least a snob, which is probably even worse for any hobby or sport including airgunning.

Offline DanoInTx

• http://airgunartisans.com
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2009, 04:05:42 AM »
I don't think NOT working on your guns makes you a poser, there are many folks that love to shoot and collect that couldn't fix a busted spring to save their lives.  I think the common bond isn't the mechanical aspect of things so much as the love of the hobby.  I could've bought powder burners, or RC airplanes for that matter, but I choose to spend my time/money on the things that turn my gears, that being air guns.
Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008