Author Topic: New member, old question :-)  (Read 22135 times)

RE: If You Have Any Problems Let Sportsman Target Know
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2007, 06:34:50 AM »

No Bill, I have no problems cocking it (so far). It shoots pretty well, althoughI don't have much to compare with (just the pump Crosman 2100 I have been using -- whole different animal).

Regarding the scope mount, the dovetailed barrel seems fine, it's the mount that's not perpendicular. So I take it that it *should* be perpendicular then? Here's why it's not:

The mount has one rigid side that fits into one side of the dovetail. The other side has 4 screws that go through a lose metal piece that fits into the other side of the dovetail. The moveable piece has to stand out a little from the mount body because the dovetail width is a little wider than the mount. So when you tighten it down, the side with the screws is "open" a little bit and causes the mount to tilt. Maybe they gave me the wrong mount for this barrel then? Should it fit real tight in the dovetail and be the same width?

Thanks!

« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2007, 07:04:52 AM »
I know that most people really like the one piece mounts when it comes to air rifles, I don't. It is because of the same problem you are having with yours that I don't like them. I think if you get a good set of two piece mounts and put them on the gun and scope the way they should be you want have any problems using them with a gun like the B26.

When you get into air rifles like the RWS 350 you might not have a choice except to use the one piece mounts because that gun jumps and twist like a wild bull. But with a medium powered gun like the B26 the two piece mounts works just fine.

If you have any problems getting them to line up with your barrel just give Xisico USA a call. Like I said in my post they are one of the best service departments I have dealt with.

Bill

« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2007, 09:22:38 AM »

Here is what the scope mount looks like on the rifle. The middle "stop" screw is snug in one of the three holes on top of the barrel and the 4 screws on the side are tight. The scope is seated properly in the dovetail grooves.

Xisico says that this is mounted correctly and should not affect the sighting of the rifle. I agree that I can turn the scope in the mount to make the crosshairslevel, but still... seems a little odd to me.

Offline longislandhunter

• http://
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2007, 09:40:40 AM »
The odd angle will appear even more evident once you place a scope in those rings.  Just by looking at the picture I think it's simply a case of the mount not being "square".  If it doesn't effect accuracy and you don't mind looking at the scope being canted all the time I guess you could leave it, but I wouldn't.  

I'd get a different mount for sure and get a refund on that one.  

Jeff
\"If it was easy it wouldn\'t be hunting, it would be shopping.\"

« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2007, 06:22:57 AM »

I guess I can live with it, as long as the rifle shoots straight. Thanks!

So far, I have sighted it in at about 15 yards and can hit a half-dollar sized spot pretty consistently. I'm not sure how much farther I need to be accurate... although there are some house sparrows that taunt me at about 50 yards, but that's probably stretching this rifle a bit. ;-)

Offline longislandhunter

« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2007, 07:03:57 AM »
Hey Bryan,

A sparrow is certainly a small target at 50 yards, but if you can put the pellet there it will certainly dispatch the bird.  I've read that a good rule to go by is that if you sight your rifle in at 20 yards it should be dead on again at 40 yards.  This principle of course is taking into account the trajectory of the pellet as effected by the force of gravity.  

Jeff

« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2007, 12:52:49 PM »

Thanks, Jeff! I will certainly sight it in for a couple different distances, or at least know how high over the target to shoot at the greater distance.

Can anyone help me to know which pellets work best in this rifle, or is it up to me to just try them all (where do you get them all -- Dicks only has Gamo and Crosman)... I also need a cleaning and oiling kit and some kind of trap or target to shoot at.

Thanks!

Offline longislandhunter

« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2007, 01:28:38 PM »
Best thing to do is to get yourself a pellet sampler pack, straightshooters.com has a good one.  Once you find the best performing pellet you're all set to go.  

If you are going to use the gun for hunting or pest elimination I would suggest trying some JSB Predator pellets.  They are a little pricey but they are one of the most accurate pellets in many of my rifles.  They are also devastating on small game.  Pyramydair.com has them.

Another pellet I would try, especially for shooting starlings and other pest birds, would be the GAMO Tomahawk pellets.  They are a great buy, 750 in a tin for around $5 bucks.   These pellets also shoot extremely accurately in almost all my rifles.  

RWS Superdomes are usually a good pellet to try at first also, they seem to work well for quite a lot of people in their rifles.  But like I said, you can't go wrong getting a good sampler pack.

Jeff

RE: New member, old question :-)
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2007, 06:44:08 AM »

I just wanted to conclude this thread by saying that I really like this rifle! I am able to hit a small House Sparrow at about 50 yds! Now that's accurate and powerful, and it was just what I was looking for. There were no mods done to this rifle, and I'm using the stock BAM 4x32 scope that came with it. I have no regrets and thank you all for your help!

Bryan