Author Topic: NEED HELP WITH A RUGER AIRHAWK  (Read 21746 times)

Offline ezman604

• Owner/Executive Administrator
Re: NEED HELP WITH A RUGER AIRHAWK
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 05:49:27 AM »

Airhawks - 1/19/2010 11:42 PM "Break Free" I've never heard of that before Dave. It sounds like it does what "Hoppe's" gun solvent does but with different additives. Ti

Ti, check this[/b][/i] web site for more info on Break-Free. You should be able to find a small spray can of it at Wally World, Dick's Sporting Goods, Gander Mountain or any place that carries firearm related items. I use it to clean and lubricate the bore of my powder burners but I do not recomment it for the bore of AGs. Stick with Goo Gone for that. Use it to wipe any metal down with. And can be used on thestock safely also. Really good Teflon based lubricant, cleaner, protectant.

Crosman/Revelation 760 PumpMaster (Vintage 1967)
Powerline 1000S .177 (semi-tuned by me)
Benjamin Super Streak .177/.22 (semi-tuned by me)
Benjamin Trail NP XL1500 (bone stock)
Benjamin Trail NP XL1100 (project gun)
TF89 .22 (tuned by Gene)
Winchester 1000WS .177 (semi-tuned by muwah)
QB57 (l

Offline bnations

• http://www.bobbynations.com
It's an RWS C Mount
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 06:35:14 AM »
I checked which mount I'm using on my AirHawk while home for lunch, and it's an RWS C Mount, not the B-Square.  I took the stop pin out of it since the rifle has a pretty good scope stop already, so that wasn't an issue (early ones had rounded stop pins that gouged rifles, later ones have proper stop pins).  I googled for you and found one for $30 from R & R Arms, wihich is about what I paid for mine used.  Great price.

Tom Gaylord has compiled a whole list of his blog postings that you may find useful under the title Adjustable scope mounts.  He deals with why the zero might wander in a couple of different postings as well as how to use adjustable mounts.  Well worth reading through all of them.  

One thing.  My mount adjusts for elevation, windage, and the rings tilt, so I must have a later, improved version or something.  Dunno, but it holds and hasn't bent my scope, so I'm happy.

Offline Airhawks

• GTA Donations
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 02:15:45 PM »
Gamo

Wow! Fifty yards. Thats incredible too. You guys must have your guns super tweaked to get that kind of accuracy. Thanks for pointing that out about the barrel pivot bolt. When I first purchased the rifle and tried sighting it in after the first few shots it dawned on me to do a once over on all the screws and yes, most all of them were at least a little loose. They since have  been retightened.

I think bnations has cracked this nut for me. His is the second confirmation in regard to the Airhawk of "scope float" if you will ( crosshairs jumping around during set shots when the dial is maxed or almost maxed out). Seeing how this is a clone of the Diana 34 it also inherited at least one of its faults, barrel droop. Unfortunately I already purchased a mount that doesn't deliver so I'm gonna have to sit tight for awhile on another purchase of the correct scope mount to fix the problem.

But I might have a solution for that too, seeing how I introduced my girlfriend to a squirrel supper one night and she loved it, I'll hint to her that I need a new scope mount for my rifle a few weeks before my birthday this summer and see how that goes.

Hey, she won't let me keep any of the squirrels I get now  because she likes them so much so its the least she can do. (smile)

Looks like I found somebody that likes eating squirrel as much as I do.

Ti

Offline Airhawks

• GTA Donations
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 06:54:07 PM »
Thank you for the foot work bnations. Another member and pyramydair suggested Beeman B-5039 adjustable mount. I looked it up on their site and its adjustable only at the base for width adaptions.
The fact that it sits up high on the receiver I guess makes up for the droop. I'll have to take a closer look at it again.  Very expensive $80.00.

I like the fact the scope mount that you are using is adjustable in all axis's. I'll check that out too. A little higer scope mount wouldn't be bad because the one I have on there I really have to anchor my cheek down on the gun stock  and do a slight twist (not much) inward with my left hand to hold the gun vertical to get proper line up of the scope to target acquistion. I really like the Leapers Scope  but it is not very forgiving when it comes to the eye relief.

I think I know where I stand now bnations, I'll start over again with the basics and work from there.

Ti

Offline Airhawks

• GTA Donations
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 07:11:45 PM »

Hi Bogey

Truer words have never been spoken.  I'm certainly inclined to believe what you are saying at this point.

The first airgun I owned was a Winchester 800. The salesperson at the store sold me on it because of his description.  A few days later I tried to zero the iron sights and the best I could do was four and one half inches to the left of the target. To make matters worst at thirteen yards it wouldn't even penetrate a squirrels hide. The crossman 760 would anchor them and I'd try to finish them off with the Winchester but there wasn't enough power so I took it back.  It was a beautiful gun but I didn't buy it  just for that reason, I was looking for accuracy, power and simplicity.  All I wanted was a  "wash and wear" gun for squirrels. How much simpler can it be, just crack the barrel open drop in the pellet and POW! Lots of impact on the other end. Well it didn't work out that way.

So now here Iam with the Airhawk and its short comings. Dispite all that I still like it because its a solid gun.  Mine is very tight but like I've stated the iron sites are worthless. The scope I believe now is probably ok  along with the internals and that its more than likely the droop that's the culprit here. Some of them off the line are ok and some aren't  but like Dave said I'll let everybody "chime" in first then I'll  file all the input into my Airhawk folder.  Hey! What a toolbox I'll have! Huh

Ti

Offline Airhawks

• GTA Donations
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 07:30:54 PM »
Hi Jeff and thank you for the welcome.

Since starting my post I'm beginning to feel like a  member of the "Band of Brothers" here. Good people and great advice. Wish I knew about this forum six years ago.

You've got an Airhawk too huh, glad to know I'm not alone. Sounds like some of you fellas got your Airhawks dialed right in. I think the groups you guys have been getting with your guns are incredible.

I'm curious Jeff are you using the original scope and mounts or the iron sights?  Those Gamo Rocket's your describing I've seen many times in Walmart and have been tempted to buy a tin but hesitated because of negative posts I read about the performance factor. But that truely is subjective because not all guns are alike and the only way your going to find what really works is to try different brands as you suggest.

I was in Walmart today and this is the first time those pellets were out of stock. When I see they have them again I'll pick up a tin and try them. If your Airhawk likes them they are definitely were trying in mine. They look like they would do a number on squirrels with the BB in the center of the lead. The copper being harder than lead leaves me to believe it would have bone busting power. I know they have the CPHP'S but I'll see if they can get me a small tin. They will  order them for you if they are not in stock as long as you get the item number off the net.
I bought my Crossman 1377 that way through them.

The Crossman pellets I'm using are the round nose I don't know why they call them pointed pellets. It's confusing enough with all the pellets on the market.

Ti

Offline longislandhunter

• http://
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 03:02:32 AM »
Ti,

As soon as I got my rifle I changed the scope to a Leapers 3x9x32 AO scope.  That is one of my favorite scopes and I have quite a few of them.  You can pick them up at optics planet for around $50 bucks w/free shipping.  The 4x scope that came with my Blackhawk actually isn't all that bad and I have that on another rifle.  I also swapped out the mounts for an Accushot 1 piece medium height mount.  

As for the "rocket" pellets.....  I know that a lot of people don't like them and think they are a "gimmick" pellet but I have to tell you I really like them, especially for hunting.  They pack one heck of a whallop and really take down small game well for me.  The first day I took the rifle out hunting I took 2 woodchucks with single head shots and it put them right down,,, and woodchucks are one tough critter.   Some of my rifles don't like the rockets but most of them do and the accuracy they give me is outstanding in those rifles.  Give em a try, I think you're gonna be surprised  :)

I know the Crosman "pointed" pellets you have.... I have several tins on my shelf.  True, they really aren't as "pointed" as one one expect but I've never found them to be very accurate in most guns.  I really think those pellets are one of the main reasons you're having some accuracy issues and I have no doubt when you try the rockets or the CPHP's you're going to see a huge difference.  

Keep us up to date and let us know how you make out in your search for that "ragged hole group"  :)

Jeff
\"If it was easy it wouldn\'t be hunting, it would be shopping.\"

Offline gamo2hammerli

• http://
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 08:44:05 AM »
As for the Rockets.....none of my air rifles like them....good up to 10 to 12 meters....beyond that they're abit iffy.  They do pack a punch with that little bb in front.

The cheapy Crosman Hunting pellet....they call them "pointed" but really are domed with a little elongated head works well in most of my air rifles out to 15 - 20 meters.  Beyond that, they're not so good......but my .177 FX Cyclone PCP loves them out to 50 yards and beyond.  My Crosman G1 Extreme used to like them but prefers CPHP's now.  And it's the reverse for the Gamo Big Cat.......  After shooting alot, most airguns will change their diet of pellets.
Gamo: Expotec .177 + Big Cat .177 + Viper .177 + Whisper .177, Hammerli Titan .177, Diana model 24 .177, RWS-Diana P5 Magnum pistol .177, Crosman: G1 Extreme .177 + Storm XT .177 + Sierra Pro .177 + 1377 pistol .177, Air Arms S410SL .22, BSA Scorpion T10 .22, FX Cyclone .177, Remington Air Master 77 .177 + BB\'s,

Offline Airhawks

• GTA Donations
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 06:31:39 PM »
I'll post some new 5-shot groups next week with some different pellets. If the shots are still going wild I'll take the scope off and optically center it then remount and resight at my target and see how far off the scope is. If its not too bad I'll take it off once more and try to shim some of the diffence. Your using the same set up Iam and your Airhawk is shooting great.
If I can make up half the difference of where its at after I center and remount maybe I will be out of the max range of adjust that I may be at now. Its worth a try.

Ti

Offline Airhawks

• GTA Donations
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 06:41:48 PM »

I'm really curious now gamo to get some different pellets to try. I'll be going after some rabbits tomorrow and I'll swing by Walmart and see if the they got some Rockets in yet. If not I'll swing by K-mart, they probably got something.

Ti