Author Topic: Daisy 953 Adjustable Butt Plate  (Read 8438 times)

Offline Fatman

Daisy 953 Adjustable Butt Plate
« on: January 25, 2010, 04:18:54 PM »
Hi:

Love tinkering with my budget 953.  Just got an adjustable Butt Plate kit from Archer Airguns ($16.99 plus $5.20 shipping).  I think it is the replacement item for the QB57.  

It's made of a rubber like black plastic with a nicely curved back.  Travels about  3/4" up and 1 5/16" down.  About 3/4" thick as opposed to the 5/16" of the 953 originlal, so it helps the LOP. Adjusts vertically and travels in an arc, which seems odd at first, but it actually follows the arc described by the butt stock as it is lowered or raised (as it's lowered or raised the butt stock pivots on your fore-end hand describing and arc).

Mounting:  Ok, it insn't a perfect fit.  I used the stock top mounting screw which places it about 1/8" lower than the top of the butt stock.  It's a little shorter than the 953 stock, so it ends up about 3/8" above the bottom.  Doesn't look bad at all. Side to side fit is flush at its widest point but it's not quite the same profile.  Doesn't stick out anywhere so it looks like it belongs there ( I think all adjustable butt plates look a little odd - offset from the rest of the stock like they are).

The lower mounting screw boss inside the stock on the 953 is a round boss, supported on a thin web.  Of course the hole in the adjustable butt plate doesn't match up.  The plastic (synthetic) used  in the stock is pretty tough, so I marked the position of the lower mounting hole of the new butt plate on the web and drilled a small hole.  Don't remember the exact size but it's smaller than the diameter of the thinnest 1" drywall screw I could find.  Tried to strike a balance, making the hole large enough for the screw body and small enough to maintain the integrity of the web (too small and the shaft of the screw could split the web).  To large and well, you know. The drywall screw fit OK and is holding fine, so I must have gotten it about right.  Sorry I don't remember the size, just use some common sense and you should be fine.  

Was it worth it?

A definete yes. I like the added LOP (could also add spacers if needed).  Used to shoot with the butt stock notched very high in my shoulder and now it shoulders normally.  The adjustablility allows you to fine tune your position and the curved butt plate helps maintain a consistent shoulder weld.  

Is it legal in sporter competition?  Probably not.  The Daisy parts diagram for the 753 shows an adjustable butt plate and an adjustable comb as well, but the original Daisy parts are no longer available.  I saw one on an 853 in a photo on this site a while ago, so they are are out there, but you would probably have to use an original to be legal.  You should check with your club first to see if they will allow it.  If you are not shooting competetively, give it a try.  I think you'll like the results.

I have far too much time on my hands.

Cheers,
Fatman

Offline double08

• GTA Donations
    • http://
Re: Daisy 953 Adjustable Butt Plate
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 01:18:00 AM »
Fatman - where did you find a parts diagram? I would like to have some spare parts if needed. Daisy does not have diagrams on their web page. Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline Fatman

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 01:35:53 PM »
double08

Call or email Daisy customer service.  Usually reply (email the diagrams/price lists)  in one or two days depending on how busy they are.  Ask for both the parts diagram and the Order Form (price sheet).  Get both the 953 and the 753 which covers most of the parts for the x53 series. The diagrams are a bit rough, but with a little effort you can figure them out.  Bump the % on your display if you have any trouble figuring it out.

You could also ask for the 853 and the 888.  Most of the 853 parts except the stock and sights are the same as the 753.  I believe the synthetic stock for the 953 is the same as the 853CM.  The synthetic stock lists for $65.00 and you can get an entire 953 for about that from Pyramid.

I believe the 888 trigger housing is the one with the trigger adjustment screw hole already drilled.

Their parts are very reasonable, shipping costs are reasonable too. They also ship out fairly quickly.

I've not had good luck with the 753 rear sight.  One was given to me (previous owner said it was a piece of junk and, as delivered, I had to agree). The other, a friend got on my recommendation and it had approx 1/8" play in the aperture (no kidding)!   I was able to fix both but it's fiddly and time consuming.  I've had better luck with the 853 rear sight but have had to do a little fiddling with that also.  Maybe I'm picky but I don't think the aperature should have any noticable slop in it and that the sight should adjust through its travel without binding up or wobbling around.  

The adjustable butt plate came from Archer Airguns.  They mostly show no stock on their web site. Try emailing them, sometimes they have a few in stock.

Cheers,
Fatman

Offline double08

• GTA Donations
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 04:15:04 PM »
Fatman - once again thanks for you help. I will get a hold of Daisy. I'm new to air guns and all the info I can get will help me enjoy the sport more. The only improvement I have made to my 953 is to lengthen the stock 2". It's am improvement to me any ways. We have a proto type maker at work and was able to get an extension made that matches the stock and Butt plate pretty good. This machine can make proto types from plastic and was perfect for this type of work. I'm looking but do not know how to add pictures to a post. I will show a couple pictures if some one could help me out.

Offline Fatman

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 01:55:42 AM »
Hi double08:

Welcome to a great hobby.  Sounds like you are well on your way.  Your lucky to have folks where you work who can fabricate stuff for you.  I mostly just knock stuff up myself.  Not professional, but passable enought to get the job done and not look amaturish.

GTA is a really good forum.  Folks are very helpful and you don't get all the flaming you get on some other sites. Do a search on 953 and you will turn up a lot of information.  The Pilkington trigger tune is the single best improvement you can make to a 953 or any of the Daisy Avanti lineup.

Cheers,
Fatman