Author Topic: AR2078 advice requested  (Read 5495 times)

AR2078 advice requested
« on: April 07, 2007, 02:31:47 PM »
Hey all,
been awhile since I've been on the board.  Spring is here so I've been doing a bit of shooting again.  Anyway,

Looking at the target variant of the QB, the AR series.  
Anybody have one they want to comment on?
 Hows the peepsight that comes with them?
Any preference on caliber (does one tend to perform better than the other?)
How bout the thumbhole versus the standard stock on these? Advantage or disadvantage?

About me:  I love open sights and peep sights in particular.  My stable of rifles includes the following:
Talon SS
RWS 34
Cummins B3
I typically grab the Talon as I'm the most accurate with it.  I've never really gotten the hang of the perfect springer hold for accuracy.  Most of my shooting is target and there is almost nothing that gives me more kicks than hearing a can get plinked at 70-100 yards using peep or open sights.

And no, I'm not bragging.  The can "wins" more often than I do at that distance.  But I do love the aspect of figuring holdover and windage without the aid of mildots.  If I had a 1000 yard range and more money I'd have a 45-70 buffalo gun but I don't.  So I scale it down with the Talon and 70-100 yards.

Offline ribbonstone

• http://
RE: AR2078 advice requested
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 04:40:44 PM »
Pretty good guns...like all of them, will respond to a little smoothing but that work is easy to do yourself.  

The .22 makes better use of the CO2 on an energy basis at about the same number of shots per fill, but if you are just plinking or semi-serious about target shooting, the .177 version might fill your needs just fine.  Can's say that they is any real noticable accuracy difference...if shooting paper for score, the bigger .22 pellets can turn a 9 into a 10 just by the larger sized hole it cuts (which is one reason .177's are the only caliber allowed in most paper-punching competitions).

That rear sight is "OK"...have two, but neither has been in use for more than a couple of years and hasn't had the use needed to get sloppy.  
TWO BIG Problems:
(1)  Fustrates the devil out of you at first as the dirction markings are Chinese idograms.
(2)  No graduated scale/markings on the sight...no "lines"....so no real reference.

Can cure those problems with new markings....ain't real pretty, but can use tape and a sharpie pen.  I'll probably not notice any slack in the adjustments as I'm use to using old equipment and tend to "over adjust"....if i want 5 clicks right, will add in 8 clicks right and come back 3, which tends to minimize any slack in the system.

Stocks:
Personal preference.  Find the standard match stock more comfortable for traditional paper shooting...and the thumbhole for field shooting (think the thumbhole makes shots uphill or downhill a bit easier, paper-shooting ranges tend to be level).

Accuracy;

Will find the first few shots after recharging to be a bit "off"...and of course, once the CO2 is near it's end, will find them dropping low...in all honesty, there are only about 40 real good shots in a two-cartridge fill.  Others report more, but when you can tell small changes, it's time to dump it and start over. You might consider one of the bulk tank versions (check out the paintballer's...they'll know where to get bulk fills cheapest).

They are accurate...but not "match gun" accurate.  Sorry...are a lot of fans, me included...but they aren't shooting in the same class as old technology match guns, much less modern ones.  Won't notice it untill you shoot official targets...a .09" group looks pretty much like a .15" one, but when you add up 10's....
-------
Ever think about the CO2 tank/valve for your talon?
Robert

Re: AR2078 advice requested
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 12:56:50 AM »
Thanks for the info.
Yeah, I've thought about the CO2 tank for the Talon.  Only reservation is the loss of power and although I have a few guns to choose from, my Talon is the most powerful so I didn't really want to take the time to re-sight when I want to go hunting.  So, I think I'll leave the Talon on air for now.  If I had another powerful PCP I would almost definately get the Talon CO2 conversion and deligate it to plinking.

But a target plinker is what I'm looking at the AR for.  Are the rear sights mounted on the same dovetail used for a scope?  If so I could replace the factory peep with a Beeman.

Offline ribbonstone

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 03:17:34 AM »
The FWB sight would fit, as would a Gamo...those ae the only other Match sights I have to choose from. Looks to be 11mm.

Don't get me wrong, other than the markings in Chinese and the lack of witness marks, it seems to work as well as any of them.  IF there is any slack in the system, I can't detect it...it gives the adjusments you click in.

-----
I've no urge for PCP...did that, lost them all, won't be replacing them...but proably will end up with teh CO2 verson of the TalonSS.  Just wondering how much trouble it is to carry it (cased) with filled tank and rifle seperate.
Robert

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 01:58:43 AM »
I have a tuned ar2078 and I have to say it one of the most fun guns ive ever had. At 40 yards its 1/4 inch accuracy and anyhting closer is single hole. Gun shoots suprisingly quiet now. Currentl its pushing about 780-800 fps with 7.9 grain crosman hunting pellets, and about 730 with 10.5 grain premirs. It shoots nice and flat and thats what i wanted. If i wanted more fpe I would have gotten the .22 cal

Offline DanoInTx

• http://airgunartisans.com
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 10:02:42 AM »
Pretty much the same comments as Ribbonstone.  I cannot comment on the stocks, as all I ever had was the action, but the barrels on the AR20XX guns is also choked I have been told, and I know mine was accurate as heck.  Get with Mike Melick if you want one that is super nice right out of the box, he does a beautiful job on those guns....his tune is worth 5X what he charges....best deal in the whole airgun community imho.

Dan
Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 11:43:09 AM »
Great comeback on that post Ribbonstone. I just learned a couple things from your thread...:)

Thanks for sharing

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline Gene_SC

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 11:45:02 AM »
Great to see you back again Bob. I love my Co2 air rifles and I would shoot them more if the weather permitted..

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline Gene_SC

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 11:48:57 AM »
I have to agree with you about Mike M., Dano... He is a great guy.. Although I have not bought anything yet from Mike, the next one I get will be from him.. I hear nothing but praise for Mike..

Gene

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline DanoInTx

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 01:51:25 PM »
Do yourself a favor Gene, I know you are not a "CO2 enthusiast", but maybe sell off one of your other gas guns and make room for one of Mike's, it will be well worth it.

Dan
Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

Offline Gene_SC

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 01:56:59 PM »
Good one Dano..:) you would like me to sell one of my babies, would'nt you? hehe... Na, I have a better idea.. Why not just buy Co2 from Mike, the next time I get the bug.... hehe

Gene

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline DanoInTx

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 02:47:45 PM »
You forget Gene, I have sold all of my babies and now have only 3.  All I need to do now is sell my QB78 and buy an R9, then I will be set!

This PCP thing sure is a blast, I think I am hooked for now:)

Dan
Dan

\"repeat this mantra:

Offline ribbonstone

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 03:34:30 PM »
Probably worth it to buy a pre-tuned rifle.  Have to figure on several hours of work polishing and a set of seals to get one "right", and even then have to know what to polish and what to leave alone or it will cost a lot more replacing what you ruined.  This is without any speed tuning...just getting things "right" (although with less spring/hammer friction from roughness, you do add some speed).

The set of seals is becasue you WILL ruin the issue O-rings the first time you take it apart....so three choices: plan on NEVER taking it apart, buy the seals and do the home-tune yourself, or pay for one that's pre-tuned.  OF the three, the last one makes the most sense for somone who wants to open the box and get to shooting.
Robert

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 11:28:24 PM »
So how do I get a hold of Mike to get a pre-tuned from him?

Offline Gene_SC

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 11:41:53 PM »
Hey Bob....  He is in the GTA Mall under Flying Dragon Air Guns... Here is his link:

http://www.airgunartisans.com/flyingdragon/

Gene

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin