Author Topic: .22 Trail NP arrived  (Read 3094 times)

Offline memo

• GTA Donations
    • http://
.22 Trail NP arrived
« on: March 01, 2010, 07:40:49 AM »
UPS delivered the hardwood version from Pyramyd Air in excellent condition. This is NOT an XL.

Appearance:   It looks good, both wood and metal.   It's my 1st thumbhole, I like it.  I also give a thumb"s up to the integrated weaver base, it made a secure platform for the scope.  For what it is, a $229 made in China gas piston airgun, I give it an "A" on looks.

Trigger:  Discernible 1st stage;    2nd stage, "creepy" guesswork.   C-   (But I have not tried adjustments)

Cocking:  From initial slap open to lock up, smooth and solid.    A+

Scope:  Seems quite good.  B+

Shot cycle:  At first it was quite harsh and "jumped" to the left (could have been me); however, 200+ shots later it seems to have improved (or did I).  I don't think it is much quieter than my two self-tuned Diana 34's or untuned Lightning XL's. I was expecting more ... uh, make that less.    B+

Velocity:   2/26 (arrival date) was cold here in central VA, not conducive to proper chrony testing, but I had to check out the new toy. After 6 shots (CHP 14.3) into the ground to get a feel for the gun, I put 5 or 6 across the chrony.
They ranged in the low 700's, the fastest being 717.   Throughout the day I shot 75 or so pellets at paper and tin cans.      On 2/27  I shot about 50 more CHP's  and then decided to chrony other pellets (5 or 6 shots each).

CHP 14.3 were now in the high 600's, 680 the highest. No more 700's.
            RWS Superdomes 14.5 were in the low 700's, 721 the highest.
            Air Arms domed 16.1 were in the 640's - 650's.
            Falcon 13.3 were in the mid 600"s.  Surprised considering the weight.
        The CHP's and the Superdomes were quite snug.  I was not able to thumb-push them flush. I was looking for 750's with this gun and was disappointed with the early velocities.    B-

Accuracy:  I am a 68 yr old right hander shooting left handed because of left eye dominance (discovered 2 yrs ago when this hobby started) whose only shooting is done sitting with elbow resting on knee; so it's unfair to judge any gun's accuracy by my results. That said,  I set a 15 0z can, a Campbell soup can, and a small plastic 20 count Tylenol bottle at 32 yds.  Hit all three and repeated same 3 times with no misses, so I think this gun can be quite accuralte in the right hands.....maybe even in my right hand.  Shots on paper were also improving.    No grade.

Notes:   1.  The bore was a "black hole" each time I checked it the first 200 (?) shots. I guess this is the result of internal gunk burning off. Could this have caused any damage?
            2.  I have  tuned Crosman springers and Diana 34's.  Are gas piston guns self-tunable?  If so, can anybody provide advice ( especially fotos) on disassemby and lubing?
                                                                                          Memo

Offline CitySniper

RE: .22 Trail NP arrived
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 07:59:10 AM »
those fps. numbers should be higher...try some indoor shooting through the chrony.... 70-80 degrees would be ideal
.177 Gamo CFX
.22 Benjamin Discovery
.22 Benjamin Marauder

Offline Bogey

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 08:42:40 AM »
Bill , congrats on the new Trail NP.    Pretty good run down on your first impressions of the NP.   68 years young?  I bet that soup can was empty.
Wish I could give you some help with your questions.    But I would push some clean patches through the bore until they come out clean.   And maybe you should try to crony  on a warmer day or indoors .  May get different results.   As mentioned first by Darius,  aka citysniper.

And as always,   Welcome to the GTA.

Bogey.
Gentleman of Fortune.

Hum-bug!

Offline KAZ

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 10:23:19 AM »
Good review! Sounds like you are having fun. Regards
AIR ARMS PROSPORT 177
BENJI TRAIL NP 22

Offline longislandhunter

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 10:29:50 AM »
I've been interested in that rifle and I enjoyed your review very much.  Looking forward to your further testing.

Jeff
\"If it was easy it wouldn\'t be hunting, it would be shopping.\"

Offline Perry50

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 06:45:04 PM »
My .22 Trail NP arrived today as well but I'm out of town. I will take it outside when I get home on Wednesday and shoot it over the chrony. It's 80 degrees here so maybe my numbers will be a little higher. Another forum member here shot one indoors at Cobra Airguns and averaged 798 FPS with 14.3 grain JSB pellets. Those are the kind of numbers I'm hoping to see.