Author Topic: Trail XL Scope Mounting Advice  (Read 1432 times)

Offline longislandhunter

• http://
Trail XL Scope Mounting Advice
« on: March 24, 2010, 12:41:57 PM »
Since my new GRT III trigger hasn't arrived yet and  I won't shoot the rifle anymore until I get the new trigger, I decided to just spend some time remounting the scope on the rifle so it would be all set for when the tuna trigger gets here.  When I first received the XL I was so eager to shoot the rifle I quickly slapped the scope on the rifle using the supplied scope mount and got to shooting.  I had tightened all the mount screws down very tightly when I did this but I didn't clean the parts or use any blue loc-tite.  I did a bunch of shooting with the rifle, doing chrony testing and site in and such and wound up putting a couple hundred pellets through the rifle.  

I put the rifle in my gun cradle and went to loosen the mount screws so I could remove the scope.  What I discovered was that while I didn't feel any movement in the mount base,  both of the long screws that clamp the mount to the weaver base had loosened up quite a bit.  I also found that 6 of the eight screws that clamp the top scope straps down had also loosened up quite a bit, to the point where I didn't even need the allen wrench to remove them.  Again, I hadn't noticed any movement in the scope tube but the screws were very loose.  

I disassembled all the parts to the mount and proceeded to clean every part and every surface with denatured alcohol just like I do with standard leapers dovetail scope mounts.  While the screws and parts looked clean the denatured alcohol quickly revealed that the parts had a light film of oil and dirt on them, especially the screws and the threaded holes that the screws screw into. I also cleaned the scope tube. Once everything was squeaky clean   I reassembled the scope mount and proceeded to mount the scope on the rifle using a good dose of blue loc-tite.  My tuna trigger won't be here for a couple of days so I'll just let the rifle sit in the gun safe for a few days so the loc-tite can dry and cure thoroughly.  

Those of you who have shot the XL know what a hard hitting, powerful rifle this is.  We all know how great the weaver mounting rail system is for preventing scope movement but I  figured I'd make this post just to remind folks how quickly the power of this rifle can  loosen screws and mounts that haven't been properly cleaned and loc-tited during the scope installation process.    I really cranked down on the mounting screws when I first installed the mount and scope but the fine film of oil and dirt on the parts combined with the power of the rifle quickly loosened them up.  I was really amazed to find them so loose.  

Now that I've installed the scope using the tried and true method I've always used I know my scope and mount will stay rock solid.  Once that new Tuna trigger gets me and my XL are gonna be ready to go hunting  :)

Jeff
\"If it was easy it wouldn\'t be hunting, it would be shopping.\"