Author Topic: BSA Superstar .177 gas ram vs. HW77 .177  (Read 7142 times)

Offline DanoInTx

• http://airgunartisans.com
BSA Superstar .177 gas ram vs. HW77 .177
« on: April 30, 2007, 04:14:38 PM »
Today after a long trip from sunny California my gently used BSA Superstar arrived via brown Santa and was waiting just inside my front door when I got home from work.  A few weeks back I got a chance to shoot an HW77 and fell in love, so the quest was on to find an HW77 to replace my custom QB78 that needed to find a home in better CO2 climates.  While the QB was posted on various classifieds I recieved an offer to trade for this BSA Superstar.  I had no idea what that was, or if it was worth trading, so I did some research and finally agreed.  This particular Superstar has a non-fac gas ram installed where a spring would usually go.  Non-fac means it is a sub 12fpe UK gun, previous owner said 680+ with JSB Exact heavies...close enough for me:)

On with the shooting.  What I really loved about the HW77 was the smooth firing/cocking cycles....a little spring twang, but the gun I had could have used a little TLC.  The trigger on the HW77 is a Rekord, just like an R9 and some of the other HW/Beeman imports.  The trigger is nothing short of excellent, I could not find a thing wrong with it outside of being adjusted just a tad heavier than I usually adjust my personal guns, but slickety smooth, clear 1st stage, and crisp zero creep second stage.  This gun was the carbine version which made it really nice to handle, some people say it's a heavy gun, but I don't agree.  I never mounted a scope on this gun, but I really didn't need to.  For the power level this gun shot at open sights were just about perfect.  This gun was also non-fac, but even at that I think it was a little anemic...chronied a shot or two out of it, but think it was low-mid 600's with a CPHP, not real healthy.  Accurate, super accurate, just ask JMG and Silo...hehe, I kept dirtying their targets before they could sight in:)  The wood work on this gun was very classic, nothing ultra super, but nice clean wood as you would expect from a gun at this level.  The metalwork and bluing were also pretty good, not great, but then this gun had some use under its belt for sure.

On with the shooting part2.  What I really loved about the HW77, was the firing/cocking cycles.....but anything like spring twang was NOT going to happen with the BSA, it's a gas ram, SUPER smooth....I think Silo said the HW77 was smooth like butter, well this BSA makes that thing sound like a creaky ship.  This particular gun also obviously came from someone who takes very good care of their stuff, it is super clean.  The trigger is not a Rekord trigger, but to me although it feels different it feels the same or better.  Very smooth, ultra predictable, clean, clean, clean 1st stage then a crisp "thwack!"...ya just pull it through the first stage, take up slack, then pull a little harder and the pellet hits it's mark.  I have not adjusted the trigger on either of these guns, so I cannot say for sure which is better, but they are both VERY nice.  Remember now  I shoot that 10M match pistol too, I have felt a good 5 way adjustable trigger...these triggers are more of a sporting type trigger, but super nice.  Accuracy, the BSA was printing nice dimes at 10 yards with open sights and a those cheap CPHP I love to shoot, it was raining and I haven't been feeling well....so that may improve:)  Woodwork on this gun is similar to the HW, although for whatever reason the buttstock doesn't fit the buttplate smoothly, kinda reminds me of a Fast Deer I once knew:)  The checkering looks pretty good, but could be a little sharper...the HW was about the same.  The bluing on this gun is fantastic.  It's not that soft brushed bluing I have seen on my Gamo's and whatever, this bluing is nice and polished like the bluing on a TX200 or similar....real nice.

I wasn't sure if I would like the sliding breach on the BSA.  I have heard of leaky seals on the CFX's and all sorts of other nastyness with this setup, but now that I have one I am pretty happy with it.  The HW77 has a sliding breach like a B3, not much to go bad here unless it gives up with your fingers inside it...that could ruin your day:)  The sliding breach is a little unerving though when you load a pellet and it slides away to nowhere, it kinda makes you wonder if it went in nose first or maybe just fell on the ground....mine all made it inside the gun.

Hard for me to say which is better, and I don't honestly think one is better.  I have a REALLY nice Superstar, and I had a very used HW77...like apples and oranges, but they are both beautiful little guns.  I would be happy owning either......but I will miss my little QB:(

Dan
Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

Offline JMG

• http://
RE: BSA Superstar .177 gas ram vs. HW77 .177
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 10:27:47 AM »

Hehe Dan bring the Superstar with ya on the 19th :) .

John

Ok I shoot....maybe not well but I do shoot hehe, B26-2.177, X3-B3-2 .177, RWS 34 .177, QB78 Deluxe .177, CR 1322 Medalist
[img=../photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=610]

Offline DanoInTx

Re: BSA Superstar .177 gas ram vs. HW77 .177
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 11:46:14 AM »
19th??  Is that our next prospective shooting day??  Will have to clear it with my wife, or maybe I'll luck out and she'll loan me my yukyuks so I can decide for myself:)  I need to order some pellets too, WallyWorld aint cuttin' it no more....know anywhere local or even up your way that sells some decent lead?  Cabellas is expensive and their selection is weak.  Past owner swears by the JSB Exact Heavies for the BSA and I need to pick up some eui jins for the PCP.  Hehe, I still need to fix my PCP, I haven't played with it since that day in McKinney.

Dan
Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

Offline JMG

• http://
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 11:55:52 AM »

Yeah the 19th is what I am plannin on... gettin a food list together now... also I am gonna be ordering some pellets from pyramid air prolly sometime this weekend if ya wanna jump in on the order lemme know.

John

Ok I shoot....maybe not well but I do shoot hehe, B26-2.177, X3-B3-2 .177, RWS 34 .177, QB78 Deluxe .177, CR 1322 Medalist
[img=../photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=610]

Offline DanoInTx

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 12:01:47 PM »
JMG - 5/1/2007  6:55 PM

Yeah the 19th is what I am plannin on... gettin a food list together now... also I am gonna be ordering some pellets from pyramid air prolly sometime this weekend if ya wanna jump in on the order lemme know.

I just might do that, all depends on how much money is already spent on bills this payday:)

Dan
Dan

\"repeat this mantra:

Offline Silo

• http://www.the850store.com
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 05:56:40 AM »
hehe - just bring it on the 19th... we'll find some acceptable lead to feed it  :)
I only eat things that had parents.
- Roald.