Author Topic: Here's one to toss around and discuss. This could be fun.  (Read 6250 times)

Offline CharlieDaTuna

• http://www.charliedatuna.com
A lot of good theories that you all have come up with.
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 02:16:07 PM »
And it very well could be a combination of something that caused it. I don't think it was a single thing.

I don't think the guy is trying to "snooker" me. Gregg is an alright guy. And he is not claiming that it was part of a tune issue. And in addition, he is more than willing to pay for the repairs if it is reasonable and not badly damaged.

Gregg did say that all that he has used was GooGone in the barrel and nothing else anywhere else.

Now then... if there was a little weeping around the seal, which is common and normal, and it had built up just a little, and then he used a heavy pellet or a pellet that was not fitted properly or partially crushed, or not seated properly when the barrel was closed causing a severe restriction, that would have caused a tremendous amount of pressure between the detonation and the restriction.

I'm looking forward to looking at the gun and see if I can determine what happened. One thing for sure, it takes a whole lot of back pressure to recock a springer.

A quick story here.. A guy was telling me that he and his son were going to go out varmint hunting on their snowmobile. His son had a B-19.  While his dad was fueling up the snowmobile with a can of gas, his son, standing right next to him cocked the gun put a pellet in it and took a shot at something. All hell broke loose. The gun sounded like a cannon and scared both him and his son to death.

Evidently, when he cocked the gun, it sucked in fumes from the gas into the chamber. Now that would be exciting.  The spring broke, the spring block shattered, and the seal split but it didn't hurt the chamber though.  I bet he won't do that again.

Lets see what else someone can come up with.

It did get you fella's thinking though and that's what we are all about.

Ain't this a great place to be?????????

Bob  aka:  CharlieDaTuna
Co-founder of the GTA

HOME OF THE GRT-III TRIGGER

Home of the NPSS-NP Triggers:  
            http://charliedatuna.com/NPSS.htm

E-Mail:  CDT22@Verizon.net

Benji-342 .177 /Brazilian Winchester 800 .22 /Gamo Cadet .177 /Gamo Shadowmatic .177 /Gamo 440 .22 /Gamo Royal .22 /Gamo Whisper .177 /Gamo SK-1 .20 /B-20 .177 /TF-99 .177 /QB-78 .177 /QB-78t .22 /QB-78-(CD) .22 /QB-78-(CJ) .22/QB-78D .22 /Crosman 2240 .22 /Cros 150 .177 /Crosman Back Packer .22 ?Crosman AS 2250 .22 /Daisy Mod 93 .177 /Marksman 2004 .177 /GS 35 .177 /FWB-124 .177 /Custom Marauder .22 /Custom Disco .177

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
RE: A lot of good theories that you all have come up with.
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 02:24:45 PM »
So we shouldn't FART around our gun's too hehe. :p Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com

Offline DanoInTx

• http://airgunartisans.com
I got it!!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007, 02:42:45 PM »
Tequila, our friend Greg took a shot of the nasty stuff, .......just then he was cocking his Gamo, and took a pellet out of his mouth, which is where the nasty yellow stuff was also, and the Tequilla coated pellet was un-witingly shoved into the breach of the Gamo.....as well as a little lime and salt.  Well, as many of you know the primary compund in alcohol is alcohol, go figure, and alcohol burns violently!!!!  

So Bob, what we first need you to do when you recieve this rifle from Greg is to inspect the rear sight blade for queso, and check to see if the buttpad has been used to crush tomatoes, or better yet open that hollow plastic stock to see if maybe there is a burrito in there somewhere.  If you find traces of anything I have mentioned then Tequilla made it happen, just as it has with me on a few occassions in the past.....amen:)

Dan
Dan

Current shooters: Beeman HW97K .177 with Hawke Eclipse 4x16x50SFAO and Steve C. stock, Beeman R9 .177 with Hawke Airmax 4-12x40AO and Gene\'s Midas touch, Air Arms S200 with Bushnell Banner 6x24x40AO Rowan brass bling and Steve C. custom stock, BAM B25, BAM B40 .177 with BSA 3x12x44AO, Benjamin Marauder .22, Benjamin 397 pumper.

\"repeat this mantra:
Air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzz, air gunzzzzzzz!!!  ...You will feel better\" T.E.C.2008

Offline JMG

• http://
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2007, 03:04:49 PM »

Hmmm this sounds like a mythbuster case.... they can buy some gamo's and try and make em explode and cock themselves while doing so. Anyone up for seeing Adam and Jaimie try and destroy a gamo or 6? I know I know I have a sick mind sometimes but ya know what? I cant afford to buy a half dozen Gamo anything in the attempt to make what happened to Greg's gun rehappen.

John

Ok I shoot....maybe not well but I do shoot hehe, B26-2.177, X3-B3-2 .177, RWS 34 .177, QB78 Deluxe .177, CR 1322 Medalist
[img=../photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=610]

RE: Here's one to toss around and discuss. This could be fun.
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2007, 03:31:27 PM »
Easy boy, whoa there.

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 03:42:58 PM »
Hey man, I've got to get my velocities up somehow! How the #ell do you think the manufacturers get their numbers?

RE: I got it!!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2007, 03:52:01 PM »
Man that's just crazy talk! Everyone knows the best way to up your fps is to fart and cock your gun at the same time and you don't get the farts from tequila, you get the farts from Mickey's in the big mouth bottles when your drinking too fast while trying to outrun the Sheriff in his mom's car, because the cruisers in the shop because the cruiser doesn't run too good on Mickey's in the wide mouth bottle when you're out of gas because you've been out chasing guys who're shooting rabbits with spring piston airguns running on farts caused by drinking Mickey's too fast.

Duh!

Mike

Offline SDale

RE: I got it!!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2007, 04:12:33 PM »
DanoInTx - 4/26/2007  7:42 PM

Tequila, our friend Greg took a shot of the nasty stuff, .......just then he was cocking his Gamo, and took a pellet out of his mouth, which is where the nasty yellow stuff was also, and the Tequilla coated pellet was un-witingly shoved into the breach of the Gamo.....as well as a little lime and salt.  Well, as many of you know the primary compund in alcohol is alcohol, go figure, and alcohol burns violently!!!!  

Actually alcahol doesn't burn violently at all. Not even in a high compression environment. It has a nice slow, cool burn. I used to run a blown dragster and when I started boosting over 35 PSI I switched over to Alcohol to aleviate my detonation problem without having to pull more timing. I was also able to up the boost to 53 PSI and turned 731 Wheel Horse Power. Gettin it to hook up and pull consistent times was another story...

ANYWAY, what probably happened with your buddies springer was probably due to the Lemon Oil. now THAT stuff burns violently!

Offline kirby999

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2007, 04:40:36 PM »
Maybe he was abducted by aliens and they were trying to figure out what kind of weapon he had and blew it up trying to put some nitro or something  through it and then returned him back home with his blown up airgun with a zapped memory. I going to get another beer , you guys want one? kirby 8)
\" Shooting PCP\'s; I sometimes miss that  unmistakable smell of a springer . \"

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2007, 12:16:41 PM »
I'll take Shixxx!

RE: Here's one to toss around and discuss. This could be fun.
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2007, 12:19:07 PM »
I like the whole "pellet slipped partway out of the breech" theory myself. Although a shot of nitrous and a shot of tequila don't sound bad either...Be right back!