Author Topic: crowpoppers pedator hunting 102(bears,cats,yotes,fox,coons)  (Read 1355 times)

Offline crowpopper

• http://
crowpoppers pedator hunting 102(bears,cats,yotes,fox,coons)
« on: April 30, 2010, 03:05:57 AM »
While I am not much of a writer here I can give you some info as to what works best for me. I love to hunt predators, Everything from coon, fox, yote, weasles up to black bear.
 We will start small and work larger here. First on of my favorite predators to hunt is coon. They come charging in like a freight train and the action can be heart stopping. While they are not big compared to say bears, a coon is way more aggressive than a bear and will not bat an eye when thinking of charging you. With that in mind if bow hunting for them I like to keep a firearm or air pistol at my side for a quick shot. For air pistol I liked my compact 7 inch bbled 2240 pcp conversion with fiber optic sights.

I have since sold this pitol but will build another befor hunting season in october this year. For a bow I have a Buckmaster BTR set at 65 lb draw shooting 505 grain maxima hunter arrows at 300 fps I use Crimson Talon broad heads as these things drill a hole through game like a blender and are very accurate.
 For the calls I have many calls, Mouth blown, and electronic. I love my Johny Stewart CS-1 coon squaller, with some playing around and listening to coon sounds you can easily imitate coons. I also have an MP3 player loaded up with sounds from Western Rivers website. I use an external speaker hooked up to a 50 foot wire to the MP3 and I play what ever sound I decide is best.
 I like to hunt in the early hours of dawn for coons but night time is good too, and if you know where they have dens day time can be a blast. for dawn just go in the woods where you know there is coons and give the squaller a few blows and wait. I do this every 5 mins for maybe 1/2 hour if nothing shows I move a few hundred yards away and try again. but be ready when they lock in on the sound they come in a hurry, For day time I find there dens and set up my spreaker 20 feet or so from the tree and turn it on to baby coons or boars fighting. Be ready as they will peek there heads out first you can pop em now but its hard to retrieve them then. I wait for them to come out. They will charge the call with a vengance so action will be quick so be ready with gun and aim for head. Or for a more exciting time use you mouthblown coon squaller. The can and will charge YOU and will not back down (why I carry my pistol) for camo for coons you dont need it really but i always wear a camo pants and shirt. I wear a headnet too makes it harder to find you and charge lol.
 For Fox and coyote I use the same Techniques, and camo. I always were good camo and face nets when calling for them. You also have to be aware or wind direction and try to use good scent control. they are smart animals and will smell you easily and will 9 outta 10 come in from down wind.
 Find a good spot you know they are in and set up with sun to your back if possible and where down wind is open to shoot easily. I like to set up near wood lots with brushy areas around. I use my johnystewart PC-1 most of the time. But I also have a Syco Tweety by The Verminators(http://verminatorpc.com/verminatortweety-1.aspx) and a lohmans circe
The Syco tweety is a very nice call but is hard to learn as it is an open reed, But it works sweet when you do learn it.
 I will set up my spot. Settle in for 10 mins or so. Give a few low volume calls for 5 mins strait while scanning the area for movement. Be ready because sometime at the first series they can come in quick. But not always after 5 mins stop callin and wait for 3-4 mins then start calling again but with a lil more volume, do this sequence 3-4 times and then if nothing shows move on at least 1/4-1/2 mile away. But if they do show be STILL scan with eyes only till they are in range. I went to dollar store and picked up a dog toy with a squeaker in it. Remove the squeaker and keep in hand as when they get closer you can give a few squeaks and that helps coax them in more. But be aware that when doing so they lock onto YOU so be ready with gun up prior to this.
 For electronic calls here I use same sequence but done on my MP3 with my western river downloads, I have lamb and cat sounds on there as well as chicken sounds for when I hunt near farms and such.
 For weapons here I use my Bow mostly but this year I am going to try my 43 FPE B51. for powder burners I use a customized Stevens mod 200 in .223
I have free floated the bbl, Glass bedded the action, Smoothed and lightened the trigger and Recrowned the Barrel. I also use hand loaded Nosler partitions and can hit out to 400 pretty consistant. I also use a range finder I have a Nikon prostaff 550. If i am hunting in heavy cover I carry a 12 ga loadded with Coyote dead Shot and can nail em dead under 60 yards. Calling in heavy cover scent isnt as much of and issue but it is harder to detect them    coming i. For hunting in snow I use snow camo also.
 For bobcat i use my electronic calls some, but mostly my Syco Tweety and my squeaker. Scent control isnt an issues with bobcats but mvement is. They are curious animals and will investigate first. They seem to just appear also. Scan very slow and Watch well as they blend in SO well. They will sit there watching you for an hour sometimes. They are forgetful animals though and they dont get too keen to you tactics like other predators though.
 For Bears well this is a whole nother ball game and You need to have a set to do without being scarred. Remember you are calling on of the biggest predator in to you as a meal. I always use scent control and good camo for these guys. I also hunt with a BOW for them but 75% of the time I have my 12 GA there with some slugs in it. Same tactics as when calling yotes and fox minus the fact that I use Deer bleats, Fawn distress and Doe Bleats, along with Rabbit in distress call.
I start out with a loud rabbit in distress and after 5 mins I wait 5-10 then switch to Fawn in distress. Dont be fooled by their size as they can seak in quite quietly. Be ready always and have a side arm ready as they are looking for a meal if they see movement and hear Distress they can come in to you rather quickly. I have taken 2 bears calling 1 with a Bow and 1 with 12 ga while bowhunting them. The 12 ga he came in quickly and i didnt have a chance to draw so i slugged him with the 12 ga at 13 yards chest shot. The bow kill i made a 15 yards broadside shot him as he was Sniffing the wind for the Prey. Both times I was sheaking badly and it was a seriuosly exillerating experience.
 For skunk, and weasle well just set up a bait pile and wait lol. Fun to shoot weasle and skunks with airguns I try to let skunks go so they dont spray but weasle are funto shoot and they are fast.
 Well this is the conclusion of my tips hope this helps you out a bit.   

Offline crowpopper

• http://
Re: crowpoppers pedator hunting 102(bears,cats,yotes,fox,coons)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 07:30:53 AM »
i also use my fx5 and fx3 fox pro   they are very nice tools to use
but the mp3 setup i have made works so nice but its not wirless thats the draw back
but its very light weight and compact

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
Re: crowpoppers pedator hunting 102(bears,cats,yotes,fox,coons)
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 08:01:54 AM »
Great right up on your predator hunting techniques and for sharing it with our fellow hunters. The more they know about their pray the more successful they'll be. Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com