Author Topic: Take two: I rebuilt my Benji / AirForce pump for $0.69  (Read 4475 times)

Offline neric

• http://
Take two: I rebuilt my Benji / AirForce pump for $0.69
« on: May 06, 2010, 02:31:20 PM »
(I didn't get into editing the first run of this post in time,and I didn't get the last pic small enough - here is the rest of the story)

I was suspecting that only the third stage fails in these pumps - most of the time.   And based on my recent findings in this rebuild I am concluding:  this is true - the third stage fails first - most of the time.  

My pump was locking up at about 500 psi; couldn't push the handle down nor pull it up - stuck in the middle.  The ambient temp was 62 degrees.  After the third stage rebuild it worked perfectly in 94 degree weather.  

The good news is:  it was very easy to rebuild (only the third stage).  All you need is a small flat blade screwdriver and two common wrenches.  The O-ring gets destroyed and I got a substitute from Ace Hardware: #36,,,5/16 X 3/16 X 1/16 ( a common O-ring used in water faucet repair.) for $0.69 (well actually I also bought some new lube listed below for about $5.00)

Benji and AirForce pumps are the same innards - only the output connectors are different.

I used a different lube on this third stage and I believe this modification has made it better than new - but only time will tell if this lube lasts longer.   Moly lube was used in the manufacture of my pump and based on what I found looks to me that moly lube gets cooked as well as the O-ring.  There was a lot of black gritty substance - more than what would be found if only the O-ring disintegrated.  The O-ring was chaffed on the edges and it was leaking.  What I believe happens is the compressed air after the third stage leaks back into the second and maybe first stages and locks everything up.

The lube I used is by Permatex and is called "Anti-Seize Lubricant" and its the stuff one commonly puts on spark plug threads of engines.  It has a rating of 1,600 degrees F.  I figured since we are dealing mostly with heat issues - it might work.  It feels just as slippery as moly and with the same consistency.  And the first time pumping up to 3K psi,,,,,it worked perfectly.

DaveShooter gave me a link to a Spanish forum  which has all the pics one would need to do a complete rebuild (I don't think a complete rebuild is necessary most of the time).  I am including 7 pics that will guide you thru what I did.  Here is the link with all the pics for a complete rebuild

http://www.ballestaperu.com/comunidades/forum/33-taller-aemero/6257-mantenimientoa-inflador-benjamin.htm

And here is what I did in seven easy steps:

Step 1:  loosen the set screw on the bottom collar - don't have to take it completely out and you don't have to take off the round brass air filter.

Step 2:  simply push the collar up on the shaft so you can get at the bottom large nut that takes the entire shaft out of the base.  (Pic labeled step two shows the shaft out of the base already with the collar pushed up.)

Step 3:  loosen that large nut and unscrew the entire shaft from the base.

Step 4:  loosen the bottom brass transfer port from the shaft and take it off.

Step 5:  using a sharp pointy object or perhaps needle nose pliers, take the spring and brass valve out of the transfer port

Step 6:  take off the old O-ring and clean everything up.  I used Q-tips and rubbing alcohol.

Step 7:  reassemble as shown but with lube on the O-ring and valve, and spring too.

What I found in my pump was a corroded spring as well - from the heat and moisture.  The last two rounds of my spring simply broke off.  I couldn't find a suitable tapered spring so I clipped two rings of another spring the same size as the large end of the tapered spring and spread the rings out so the two ends would actually push against each other rather than get wound around each other.  I was trying to get the approximate same length as the original spring.  So, I slathered my entire spring with the Anti-Seize lube hoping it would protect it from heat and moisture, preventing more corrosion of the spring.

This was very easy to do, and needless to say I am very happy with the outcome.
Hunters know they\'re gonna need a clean pair when they see you comin\'

\"Squirrel Skivvies\" is a copyrighted trademark of the Bird Feeder Raiding Corporation

Offline DaveShooter

Re: Take two: I rebuilt my Benji / AirForce pump for $0.69
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 05:04:48 AM »
Glad that worked out for ya... Did you put an in-line filter on your pump??? Real easy to do....

Offline neric

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
I would put one on,,,where do you get one?

\"Squirrel Skivvies\" is a copyrighted trademark of the Bird Feeder Raiding Corporation

Offline DaveShooter

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 03:47:30 AM »
hatdor frieght, lowes, home depot, handyman etc.... You will have to plumb it into pump where the sinter filter or small brass filter is. Really a simple to do  project. You can use filter on pump on top of inline filter. When blue color descant turns pink I take filter apart off pump of course  take inline filter apart and bake descant in oven for 2and 1/2 hrs to 3 hrs at 240 degrees it will turn back to blue color again. I have baked it several times or more for almost a year on same filter. It helps to keep out mosture out of airtube on PCP rifles. If you look at hill pump you will see what I am talking about. Their is also a post on Airgun One in Past posts about this topic.Hope that helps or gives you an idea. Again you should be able to pick up the pipe and fittins as well as inline 1/4 inch filter at your home depot or lowes. Lowes carries the Kobalt brand name.

Offline neric

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 11:46:26 AM »
Sounds fantastic.  I'll do that.  Thanks for the details.

Offline DaveShooter

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 01:33:21 AM »
Let me know how it works out for ya!!!!

Offline neric

Soft O-rings don't work soft O-rings don't work s s
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 03:35:59 AM »

Time does tell all. I used the O-rings for water faucet repair and it worked once. As I suspected, it wouldn't last long, but the important thing is that it did work once which tells me that it was only the last stage check valve and I learned something.

I went to an industrial rubber supply store and they didn't have that small of size but they will get it for me. O-rings needed for these applications are called 'dur90' and have a 5000 psi rating.

The price is still going to be minimal; these guys like me and they just give me the O-rings.

Daveshooter,,,that idea of inline moisture filter I don't think will work on the AirForce pump because of the fill adapter angles right up into space of the brass air filter. But I see that it could work on the Benji pump

Offline DaveShooter

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 03:17:56 PM »
Wish I could give ya the answer on that one. Sorry!!!!