Author Topic: OK, still rebuilding my AirForce pump, think I got it this time  (Read 1713 times)

Offline neric

• http://
Isn't that what all the rookies say:  "got it this time!"   Well I hope I do.  Time will tell again.

I first did the rebuild with only a water faucet O-ring at the last check valve.  It worked one time but not the second.  I was happy.  I thought it was the O-ring being too soft,  but now I don't believe that was the case.  

I found an assortment box of O-rings at Harbor Freight made of 'Viton' a polymer designed to withstand up to 400 degrees, for $10.  I put one of those Viton O-rings in place of the water faucet O-ring and there was no improvement at all.  And inspection of the softer O-ring showed no damage - so the soft ones will probably work on the last check valve.  

So I was convinced that I needed a complete rebuild but I didn't want to buy a complete seal kit from AirForce - still believing that one doesn't need to actually replace ALL of them.

What I ended replacing -only- and it works now,,,,very nicely is only two O-rings,,,the very last one on the cone shaped brass check valve and the piston O-ring.  Turns out that the piston O-ring does all the traveling up and down the shaft and so it makes sense it would wear out, but it didn't show visual evidence of wear.

I had the pump completely apart and I believe this is important for a good cleaning - there was water drops thru out the innards.

I also used the Permatex Anti-Sieze lube thru out, designed to withstand 1600 degrees.

So,,,I used only two O-rings,,,Viton material which is harder material than the original ones,,,,and it seems to be doing great.  I'll give a report after some time has passed.

Here are pics of the two O-rings I replaced
Hunters know they\'re gonna need a clean pair when they see you comin\'

\"Squirrel Skivvies\" is a copyrighted trademark of the Bird Feeder Raiding Corporation