Author Topic: Changing from 11mm rail to Picanany/Weaver Style  (Read 7768 times)

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
Changing from 11mm rail to Picanany/Weaver Style
« on: May 08, 2010, 10:39:07 AM »

On my original post I showed where I was using a BKL set of Weaver rings and a Dovetail to Weaver Adapter. With a Hawk 4-16X50 AP mil dot scope.

Thanks to Richard "aka thebookdoc" here on the GTA who made a reply to my original post. I was not satified with the BkL and Weaver setup because the scope was to high off the action, where I prefer it to be as close as possible without hitting.

Richard has been doing allot of reasearch with springers and re-coil ratings verses scopes lately. But anyway I purchased the Hawk Dovetail to Weaver adaptor mount and another set of Weaver rings made by Hawk. The rings are the low profile like the BKL rings I was using but instead of two cap screws per cal the Hawk offered 4 screws per cap. This is very important because of the sharp recoil that the NPSS has that I am setting this all up on.

Well I finally got everything set up and have taken a couple pictures of before and after. Including the Hawk Dovetail to Weaver adaptor.

One of the most important things is that the adaptor has a stop pin as well as it raises or lowers the mount to compensate for barrel droop. I think that is a great idea since many drooper mounts cost so much. The Hawk Dovetail to Weaver mount and the Weaver rings were less than most stand alone 11mm drooper mounts.

I must also add that the Hawk Dovetail to weaver mount has four large screws to clamp the mount to the reals. Just wanted to pass this along to those of you who may be thinking of converting your 11mm rails to picanany/weaver style set up.

And if anyone needs more information on this particular set up then ask Richard. He seems to know allot about these parts. And I did not know Richard was a Hawk dealer when I bought these parts. I got them from Roger who also is a Hawik dealer as well.

THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline cmdrstp

• GTA Donations
    • http://
RE: Changing from 11mm rail to Picanany/Weaver Style
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 12:48:34 PM »
Nice looking setup. I think I will copy.
“Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight…
My goodness and my fortress, my high tower and my deliverer…
My shield and he in whom I trust…\"

Offline thebookdoc

• http://airscopes.com
Re: Changing from 11mm rail to Picanany/Weaver Style
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 03:35:22 PM »
Gene, first I am glad the mount worked out for you. I looked into and tried out a lot of things before coming up with this setup, and not only does it seem to me to be more sturdy than even Hawke's adjustable one-piece (which is $20 more), but it is less expensive than every other adjustable configuration/solution I tried (including the dampa mounts which run around $80+). A couple of details I want to add:

* The reversible front post provides bracing for rifles with raised rails like RWS rifles and their clones.
* The stop pin/vertical adjust has a locking screw so custom height adjustments are easily maintained.
* The adapter rail comes in two lengths, the shorter, 'normal' length shown here, and an extended version. The extended version is actually less expensive and allows a lot of flexibility for placing the scope and rings.
* The whole extended setup is just under $40 shipped (the shorter version is $6 more).

I'd be glad to help out other people who would like these mounts. PM me!
THE GUNS:
     â€¢ Cometa Fusion Star (Gene tuned) 12/10/09
     â€¢ Cometa Fenix RWS 94 2/8/10
     â€¢ RWS Diana 48 .177 1/8/10 [TRADE for RWS 350]
     â€¢ Walther Force 1000 .177 11/11/09
     â€¢ TF89 .22 10/26/09 (Gene tuned 1/6/10)
     â€¢ TF89 .177 (Gene tuned) 9/6/09
     â€¢ Remington Vantage 1200 .177 8/22/09 (Gene tuned 1/6/10)
     â€¢ Daisy 953 (pneumatic) 8/02/08
     â€¢ Gamo Big Cat 2/5/10 (broken...free...maybe gas piston?!)

THE SCOPES:  
     â€¢ Sightron SII 4-16x42 AO  
     â€¢ Leupold VX-II 3-9x33 Ultralight EFR AO
     â€¢ Bushnell Trophy 6-18x42 AO  
     â€¢ Swift 686 High Recoil 6.5-20x44 AO  
     â€¢ Hawke Air Max 4-12x40 AO  
     â€¢ Bushnell Banner 6-18x50 AO

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 03:52:39 PM »
Thanks Richard for your help again. I thought the stop pin design was a fantastic idea. I have seen them back out and the mount will move back. With the locking screw in the back to lock it down would prevent that from happening. And the pin in the front which would be used for raised rails would work good as well. It can be set to a couple different variables I noticed as well.
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

Offline shadow

• http://airguncamo@yahoo.com
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 10:38:25 PM »
I see what your were talking about now bro that is a nice setup and still keeping a low profile. Ed
I airgun hunt therefore I am... };)  {SHADOWS Tunes & Camo}  airguncamo@yahoo.com