Author Topic: RWS 460 Magnum.  (Read 63320 times)

Re: RWS 460 Magnum.
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2007, 10:42:03 AM »
BB Pelletier on the Pyramid Air blogs said something similar about turning a one piece mount around and hanging the stop pin off the front of the rail. I don't have any problems with the Beeman 5039 adjustable mount (made by Sportsmatch) on my 48. It has 4 clamp screws and a stop pin in the shallow hole on the Diana rail. This one you can't turn around backwards or the adjustability is useless. I spent the better part of a day zeroing the mount and have yet to touch the windage and elevation adjustments on the Bushnell Trophy 4-12 scope held by it. It hits everything you point it at with Crosman Premier domed pellets. It's just a shame the rail isn't longer to add say a bubble level or something. I've also seen pics of a stop pin that plowed a groove in a Diana rail. 2 more inches of length and a deeper stop pin hole would be perfect.

The 46E was sort of an economy version of a regular 46. It has a plain stock without checkering or a cheek piece. That's fine by me since I'm left handed anyway. It at least has a longer scope rail and the T0-1 trigger ( I should have left it alone but it's all out of whack probably). I ordered a Maccari GRT kit for when I tear it down. I heard Diana springs in the 90's had problems of being too brittle. God only knows what I'll find inside if it was spitting out rust and has low power lol. I bought it last year from Midsouth Shooter's Supply in a closeout sale. I think they were selling the 300 repeater at the time as well. They usually have the best prices on most anything. The fact that they're one state away and you get your stuff in 2 or 3 days is sweet.

On my next day off I'm going to start construction of a spring compressor. I should be getting the lubricants along with the above mentioned spring kit any day now. I just got several punches and misc. other tools a few days ago. Where's the best place to learn where and how to apply the different tars and lubricants? I have heavy, clear and velocity tars and moly paste from Maccari, Beeman moly paste, and misc. oils. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline daved

• http://
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2007, 04:00:29 PM »
Afraid I can't help much with the lubes, and that's one of the few things Bob's a little secretive about :-).  I think JM's site has some general guidelines about what to use where, I think the most important thing to remember is too little is better than too much.

Hey, how do you like that Trophy?  Is there anything you can compare it to that I might be familiar with?  And can you tell me why the Trophy is almost double the cost of the Banner?  Scopes I'm familiar with, several different Leapers, Simmons 22 Mag and 44 Mag, Nikko Stirling Platinum Nighteater, and a BSA 2-7x32 AG scope.  I was looking very seriously at buying a Trophy, but couldn't quite justify the cost without better info.  And since I live in the boonies, there's no place around to check them out personally.  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Dave

Offline Silo

• http://www.the850store.com
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2007, 05:33:16 PM »
Shawn,
I know that you will enjoy this rifle tremulously, If the 177 can shoot this well the 22 should be great.
Today while shooting (Beeman FTS) it started to the exceed comfortable speeds and lost accuracy a bit.
I'll have to start using 9+ grain pellets to keep it in the "safe" speed zone. I guess that seal is breaking
in or something because the power definitely stepped up a bit today.
It's still an amazing shooter even at the faster speeds, the groups just opened up a little 1/2" groups at
40 yards is still pretty good.  
- Roald
I only eat things that had parents.
- Roald.

Offline Silo

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2007, 05:38:05 PM »
- Roald.

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2007, 11:39:03 AM »
I laughed for a second seeing your link to the lubricants document then glanced down and thought I saw your signature say I only eat paste. Vision gets weird looking just over the top of my glasses combined with a weird imagination. Was it some guy in Asia that was consuming small quantities of motor oil and grease? Then there was that other guy that stood on a board and charged himself up with the high voltage from a TV cathode ray tube.

Yes, I've seen this before and forgot about it. I gather there is room for experimenting with the tars and such? If it doesn't work, take it apart, degrease it and start over. Am I right?

I've become a huge fan of .22 caliber after buying the 48. It's slower than the .177 version but it has a bit more power (16-18  vs. 20-22 ft lbs). When pellets get near the speed of sound, they destabilize. I like the idea of a slower but stable projectile that hits with more punch.  It's great for targets or hunting. It's too bad Diana probably won't offer the 460 in a .25 caliber version. That would be interesting.

I read on the somethingawful.com gun forums about that 11 year old kid killing a 1/2 ton pig in TX with a hand canon (.50). Said it would make about 6 or 700 lbs of sausage. Geez, that's crazy. They also mentioned small roving bands of wild pigs tearing up crops at night down there. You ever go out to pick a few off?

Offline Silo

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2007, 12:15:06 PM »
Shawn, you're right about playing around a bit with the lubes.
Heavy tar is for springs and I found any place where you want a grease to stay put
and obviously internal to the gun (it'll trash your clothes)
I molly the piston from just behind the lip of the seal and use a tar / molly mix where
it's metal to metal. I also like to use Belray waterproof grease, really cool stuff
for joints and linkages etc.
http://www.motoxoutlet.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=802

Wild hogs... airgun... naa I'm too chicken for that. Gimme a 7,62 .... something in automatic
then I'll feel safer   :)
- Roald.

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2007, 12:54:10 PM »
Dave,

I got my 1st Bushnell 3X9 for a .22 HMR when I was 15 or so. It worked great over the years and I gave it to my brother for his 10/22 when I bought a Bushnell Banner 3.5-10X36 for my 10/22T. It is designed for .17 HMR and .22. I replaced it a few months later with a Tasco 10-40X50. Ya you can read the lettering of a target at 50 yards with it but only in bright light. It seems to get dark on high magnification. It works ok but I wouldn't buy another Tasco. I converted the 10/22T to fire .17 mach 2 with Volquartsen parts, ran 200 rounds through it and haven't touched it in a year lol. I bought the 3 air rifles I have now and put the 3.5-10 Banner on the 46E and the 4-12 Trophy on the 48. I've heard people say to spend as much on the scope as the rifle. I figure I spent half as much. These 4 scopes are the only ones I have experience with.

The Banner scopes are pretty darn good. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. I think they are made in  Korea. The Trophy scopes are made in Japan where they have a bit more overhead in their manufacturing costs. It might have more lens coatings, nitrogen filled or something to justify the cost. It's ironic the Japanese make rifle scopes in a country where guns are outlawed but they make pretty good optics.  Bushnell says both the Banner and Trophy 4-12x40 are made for break barrel air rifles and Straight Shooters says they are rated for medium recoil. Both have adjustable objective, 1/4" @100 yrd clicks. All the details are on Bushnell's web site. I'd say get the Banner. It's $87.82 at Midsouth Shooter's Supply.

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2007, 01:31:06 PM »
Shawn, thats funny about finding a Bushnell scope on Midsouth Shooters.. I did not think they carried Bushnell scope. So I went and checked it out and did a search on Bushnell and nothing came up.. Maybe you got the wrong vendor or I am blind.. hehe

But that same Bushnell Banner Scope 4-12x40, is on Natchez for $83.95..:) And $89.64 at Optics Planet W/Free Shipping
Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2007, 02:20:26 PM »
Yes, the search doesn't turn up anything but it is listed in the 4-12 scopes if you use the menu on the left hand side and go to optics. It didn't turn up anything for bubble level either when I used the search one other time but they have one. They probably need to spend a little more time fine tuning their search engine. They have increased their line of air rifles in the last several months. Last time I checked, they had the best price on all the RWS models. I haven't done a thorough price check in a while though.

Thanks for the heads up on those vendors. Did you use Price Grabber or just Goggle a search to get those quotes? I need to be more bargain savvy.  I'll check them out next time I need another scope. About the same time the 460 in .22 is in stock.

Offline Gene_SC

• http://www.airguntoys.com
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2007, 02:47:48 PM »
Ok Shawn then I am blind.. hehehe .. They probably don't sell many with the way they hide them..:)  I used our Mall to find the best prices.. The GTA Mall has some of the better Vendors for pricing. The scopes you will find good prices on Natchez and Optics Planet.. And Optics Planet always has free shipping..

Gene
THE ONES I SLEEP WITH: BSA Lightning XL, AA TX-200, AA ProSport, BSA Ultra, HW-97K, Crosman NPSS .177, FX Cyclone, HW-30 Nicle Plated, AA-S200, Crosman Marauder, CZ-634, R-9 DG, Webley/Scott UK Tomahawk, Benji Kantana, Benji Marauder, Benji Discovery.....

Gene\'s Tunz n Toyz
Springer Tunin

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2007, 03:18:55 PM »
I was quicker to ask dumb questions then to actually look around lol. You probably need to make a permanent notice for all new users to read before asking questions. A general list of where information is before posting a question. It would probably save you tons of space on the forums from noobie questions. Then again you may already have one posted and I totally missed reading it.

Is there a section for DIY tuners to share their projects and ideas? I thought maybe The Shop was the place for that but it turns out it was more or less about home workshops. This will probably be another dumb question. Sorry about that. I would like to post a few pictures and details of an upcoming tear down/tune on a Mendoza RM-200. It would be nice to get some feedback from other members. Especially if it's to point out something I did wrong. Thanks.

Offline JMG

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2007, 04:06:05 PM »

Shawn at the bottom of the page that lists all the forum gates we have here at the GTA is the Airgun mods and tunes page that has everyones projects going on. As far as I have seen the moderators are pretty lenient on where things are posted so no worries... and as far as I know there arent any stupid questions except for 1... "Should I buy another airgun?" The answer to this question is always yes hehehehehe.

John

Ok I shoot....maybe not well but I do shoot hehe, B26-2.177, X3-B3-2 .177, RWS 34 .177, QB78 Deluxe .177, CR 1322 Medalist
[img=../photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=610]

RE: RWS 460 Magnum.
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2007, 06:25:39 AM »
which heavy hunting round provided the best accuracy, silo?

Offline JMG

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2007, 02:33:38 PM »

Unfortunately my friend Roald aka Silo is back home in South Africa until the 25th. I can tell you as a good friend of his that he has really liked using the Beeman FTS's in his 460. That should be enough of a teaser for you to ask more questions of him when he returns.

John

Ok I shoot....maybe not well but I do shoot hehe, B26-2.177, X3-B3-2 .177, RWS 34 .177, QB78 Deluxe .177, CR 1322 Medalist
[img=../photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=610]

Offline Silo

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2007, 07:48:58 AM »

Hi... I'm back :) had a blast (I'll tell y'all about it later)

Christopher, John is right. the Beeman FTS work very well inthis gun. I have bought some

Beeman Kodiak's (a bit heavier) I'll try them out and lat you know how it works out.

- Roald.