Author Topic: Shooter's remorse.....  (Read 5323 times)

Offline DougT

• http://
Shooter's remorse.....
« on: June 21, 2010, 01:53:41 PM »
I'm so sorry, please forgive me.  If I were to do it all over again, I would get a picture of last friday night's pigeon shoot with WadeS.  Earlier in the day I'd done some calling around to get permission for a couple hour before dark hunt.  We got together after dinner, about 7.15pm and headed out on Hwy 11 a few miles out of town to the double grain silos.  Got there about 7.45pm and it was cool and looked like it would storm.  No pigeons anywhere to be seen.  When we walked up on the bins, WadeS motions that he hears a bunch inside.  I climbed up on the overlooking hillside into the edge of the tall wheat field.  It hid me and my 850 very well, especially since I was in woodland camo.  Wade opened the side door and started blazing away.  These are large bins, maybe 60'-75' in diameter and 3-4 stories tall.  I could hear "KER-PLANK" over and over as the hundred pigeons or so came boiling out of the top.  Some would land on the top lip and I would give them a quick lead injection.  I was set up about 30-35 yards away and my gun is zero'd at 40 yards so it was just perfect.  Some pigeons would land on the back side of the opening and only allow a neck/head shot, which I obliged.  WadeS shot for about 15-20 minutes before they were all gone.  The ones I would shoot off the top would fall inside and you could hear the thud sound as they hit the concrete in front of WadeS.  He said there were bloody splat marks on the floor where they did a "swan" dive.

We then both climbed up into the wheat as it got close to dark.  The dozens of pigeons that were flushed out would circle and try to land.  Most of the time they didn't as they were vere skittish about what had happened.  We greased another dozen or so that way.  We tried to shoot the hovering pigeons a few times but didn't hit any.

After dark I ran to the truck and got a flashlight and we collected our quarry.  48 dead in hand and a few more that limped away or fell in weeds we couldn't find from about 8.00pm to 9.30pm.

Oh, and I got up the next morning and shot a crow in my back yard.

Later,
Doug
Hammerli 850 HPA .22 & Leapers 3-9x32  --  TF-89 .22 & Leapers 4x32
---------------------
2010 air rifle kills
288 starlings
235 pigeons
6 crows
25 other birds
56 ground squirrels
3 tree squirrels

---------------------
2009 air rifle kills
181 various birds
57 various squirrels

Offline longislandhunter

• http://
RE: Shooter's remorse.....
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 02:17:20 PM »
Now that sounds like one heck of a hunt.....    Just reading  your post got me wanting to grab a rifle and go hunting  :)

A picture would've been nice but to be honest your description of the hunt left me with a mental picture that would be hard to beat  :)

Jeff
\"If it was easy it wouldn\'t be hunting, it would be shopping.\"

Offline ShadowShot

• http://www.wordoftruthassembly.com
Re: Shooter's remorse.....
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 02:18:45 PM »
That sounds like insane fun. Great shooting. Get'em Wade!!
2010 Kills

12 Tree Rats
36 Grackles
47 Cow Birds
4 Starlings
2 Crows
1 Ground Hog